SAU Community

Are 19x10 Inch Rims Good Size For R33gtr?

gdogzgtr

I have bought a 95 R33GTR is has come with 19x10 mags. How will this affect the handling and ride. I would expect it to handle better but probably be a rougher ride is that correct. The car also is lowered and has very firm sports suspension.

A warning with GT-R's: use the same wheel/tyre combo on all 4 corners, if you have differing sizes from front to back (i.e. width or diam./profile) it can sometimes play games with the traction control, abs and 4wd. systems.

-rb25

Edited by rb25

If youve got 19's on it then its probably got some nice low profile tyres which do nothing for ride quality and handling, i heard and i dunno if this is right but it sounds logical.

once u go past a 17" rim the car generally has very little tyre wall to roll onto while cornering and so looses grip especially at higher speeds. better off going for a good but wide 17" with reasonable profile tyres. bigger isnt always better.

Edited by Viper1555

If youve got 19's on it then its probably got some nice low profile tyres which do nothing for ride quality and handling, i heard and i dunno if this is right but it sounds logical.

once u go past a 17" rim the car generally has very little tyre wall to roll onto while cornering and so looses grip especially at higher speeds. better off going for a good but wide 17" with reasonable profile tyres. bigger isnt always better.

Obviously then Various European car manufacturers have no idea then because they use 19". eg BMW M3,M5,AMG Mercedes,Jaguar etc. Gee even Ford are using optional 19"s on tornado and typhoon

Stock R33 GTRs come with 17x9 but use a 45 profile tyre. According to what others have said and I have also tried to a point, the ideal rim for a R33 GTR which is mainly driven on the street and occasionally on circuit days are 18x10 or at most 18x10.5.

This leaves enough sidewall on the tyre for it not to ride like a skateboard, make the ride very noisy, uncomfortable and unpredictable.

Also, your suspension setup will have a lot to do with how the increase in rim size affects your ride and handling characteristics.

bfi.inc, companies such as BMW M3,M5,AMG Mercedes,Jaguar and Ford do use 19" rims on some of their cars however these are stock or factory optioned rims. Going up to 19" on a R33 GTR is 2" larger and stock which is also illegal in most states.