SAU Community

Bf F6 Typhoon

Amir

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the bloke who said a F6 would wollop a GTR on the run. Ignorant thats all im gonna say.

Ive been talking to the guys at FPR and seeing the development of the Ford Turbo cars for quite a while now (I work for Wurth and yes I get to go inside FPR and FPV and have a chat to the guys inside) and what they have achieved in the last 4 years is a tremendous step in Local performance cars.

They are big vehicles, aimed at going fast, while having all the luxuries and being able to sit a family and enough bootspace to match.

So the GTR vs F6 is not a debate. Totally different cars with different purposes.

And what do I think of XR6 turbos - Id stay clear from em for a little longer, this BF range has yet to prove reliable, My uncles had a XR6 turbo auto since 2002 as a company car and had quite a bit of trouble with it, overheating problems, transmission problems, starting problems when cold ....did I mention the auto gearbox? Go for a drive in one and listen to how clunky they are, reminds of goin in a old XD. Other than those mechanical gremlins, I reckon its a nice looking car, nice interior good layout and FAIRLY well built!

I can see in the next 5-10 years it being the new VL turbo and having heaps of problems and am already starting to see the dodgy ones come out of campbellfield with custom resprays, cheap aftermarket mags and stupid number plates.

The turbo shops will be rubbing there hands with glee thinking about the potential buisness.

When I said wollop, I was referring to ingear acceleration, not from a standing start like in a drag. The torque is what will pull one car away from another and the f6s figure is substantially higher than the GTRs.

Dont get me wrong Im also a skyline nut (have owned 2). The f6 is about as close to a local car that can be compared to the GTR. Several months ago they compared (wheels) a R34 GTR, typhoon and a charger- they said the better car by miles was the typhoon. Now the Bf model with 6spd auto is even faster than that model they tested.

id hate to break it to you lot....

next car im looking at late this year is a Black XR6 Turbo....

cheap, new, local, can be insured, and can make BIG power......

untill then ill enjoy my police attention, 2nd hand/hard to find parts, getting raped for insurance, being called a hoon, worrying about the car not being there the next day and dirty looks :D:D:D

*please dont hurt me * :D

dont forget the supra, its also in the price range. so lets take r33 gtr and supra. cost less then the new bf or whatever. there proven the test of time and also there super carness...

high mod all 3 of them and youll get 2 awesome drag / circut cars. and 1 burnout car... in the end its still a family car with a bit of go compared to 2 super tuner cars.

also with the r33 gtr and supra... youll have alot of stares... but in the ford youll have lots of stares because there trying to figure out if its there dad coz they own the exact same car in the exact same color with the same rims... and also there trying to figure out if your the same person that just drove past... but you wernt, it was someone else that wasnt there dad in the exact same car...

PS. disgusting how that magzine compared the r34 GTR to the ford... yuk... r34 gtr is king

Edited by Triskillion

Its all about the driving experience.

You can have 2 cars with the similiar 0-100 performance yet one is so much more rewarding and enjoyable to drive.

I recently found this with my uncles VT II 250kw Clubsport 6speed.

Punched it out of a corner and it did nothing, just winds out, need some more rev's I say... 3500rpm.. punched it.. nothing, just winds out. It felt like a slow torquey diesel rever.

A few revs off the line, lots of wheel spin but you can watch the revs increase over a second and a half before it hits the rev limiter, theres no super quick engine response, just slow torque reving.

Jumped in mine, exiting corners in second give it 1/4 throttle and the turbo ramps up hard, tyres loose traction as the motor bounces off the rev limiter in a blink of the eye....

A few revs off the line, same thing straight to the rev limiter before you can blink an eye.

I so much more enjoy mine to drive from a sports/hills type of car. It feels just so much more flexible with more mid range acceleration that launches it out of corners unlike the ls1 where it simply wound out and only in the top end did it rush a little.

The LS1 felt as if it had a nice lump of torque at ~2000rpm that then faded off a little until ~3500rpm where it began picking up again.

It just didn't hold me in the seat... almost fell asleep waiting for it to rev out in first gear. :D

The gearing always seemed to drop you in and around the torque hole of 3000rpm. I'm keen to see what the edit and exhaust do to it, its currently making 196rwkw.

Driving experience. :D

Edited by Cubes

dont forget the supra, its also in the price range. so lets take r33 gtr and supra. cost less then the new bf or whatever. there proven the test of time and also there super carness...

high mod all 3 of them and youll get 2 awesome drag / circut cars. and 1 burnout car... in the end its still a family car with a bit of go compared to 2 super tuner cars.

also with the r33 gtr and supra... youll have alot of stares... but in the ford youll have lots of stares because there trying to figure out if its there dad coz they own the exact same car in the exact same color with the same rims... and also there trying to figure out if your the same person that just drove past... but you wernt, it was someone else that wasnt there dad in the exact same car...

PS. disgusting how that magzine compared the r34 GTR to the ford... yuk... r34 gtr is king

lol. please go around on this forum and PM every R34 GTR owner, then come back and tell us how many are p platers, or under 25 for that matter...and skylines in general are hardly rare

*sigh* read this thread and then read the bogan abuse thread....its good for a laugh. everyone in that thread pisses and moans about how they are stereotyped because of their car etc...then they come in here and do exactly the same thing

I would bother with a Turbo Falcon when I have my own house and several (lol) kids.

Then... Have a nice little cheap 32 GTST or by then R34 GTST (as it will be old) and run it as a track car. ;)

New vs. New, the BF Typhoon would be a GTS-T competitor, not a GTR competitor, in both price and performance. It's only that the GTR is a few years older than the Typhoon that they compare on price (gotta love Japanese depreciation making cars affordable - screw resale!), but that doesn't mean they can compare on performance.

The GTR is a legend.

New vs. New, the BF Typhoon would be a GTS-T competitor, not a GTR competitor, in both price and performance.  It's only that the GTR is a few years older than the Typhoon that they compare on price (gotta love Japanese depreciation making cars affordable - screw resale!), but that doesn't mean they can compare on performance.

The GTR is a legend.

would the GTR R34 be much more expensive then a typhoon? if its around the same price, then Falcon isnt in its league.

The Falcon isn't supposed to be in its league.

Its a family car designed for us Australian lead foots that also want to tow their boat/trailer, the GTR is a performance sport car.

In many respects its very similiar to how I think about young blokes that spend a heap on buying lancers/hyundai's/barina's then throwing wheels, lowering and exhaust. When they could have had a R32 or S13 for that price that goes a hell of a lot harder. Not that the lancers etc do go hard.. lol

Edited by Cubes

would the GTR R34 be much more expensive then a typhoon? if its around the same price, then Falcon isnt in its league.

The Falcon isn't supposed to be in its league.

Used R34 GTRs can be picked up for similar money to the FPV F6 Typhoon, making them competitors in the performance car market. Whether the Typhoon likes it or not, there will be performance car buyers that will cross-shop between these two cars based on price.

2002 R34 Skyline GTR $69990 drive away price, including 3 year warranty.

Brand New 2005 FPV Typhoon $59810, does not include on road costs, includes 3 year warranty.

When you take into account on road costs for the FPV F6 Typhoon, their prices would be about the same I think. Makes the GTR look like the bargain of the century!

Until you see R32 GTRs going for under $20k. THAT is the bargain of the mellinium!

Who cares...

One is a family performance car, the other is a sports performance car.

The fact is Ford nor Holden make anything where you can compare apples to apples. Comparing Nissan to Holden/Ford is like comparing a nice sweet firm orange to a bitter lemon. hehe. :P

Edited by Cubes

Who cares...

One is a family performance car, the other is a sports performance car.

The fact is Ford nor Holden make anything where you can compare apples to apples. Comparing Nissan to Holden/Ford is like comparing a nice sweet firm orange to a bitter lemon. hehe. ;)

just went onto a tuners site in WA- for about 2K you can have a f6 typhoon with 300rwkw. All these cars need seems to be a replaced CAT, edit and tuning. Stock exhaust, same turbo, same everything else.

just went onto a tuners site in WA- for about 2K you can have a f6 typhoon with 300rwkw. All these cars need seems to be a replaced CAT, edit and tuning. Stock exhaust, same turbo, same everything else.

50% power increase for $2k sounds pretty good! :) With the T56 and new twin plate clutch, the stock driveline should be able to handle it too! Dunno about the ZF 6 speed auto though... That's rated at 600nm max torque, and 300kw at the wheels would probably exceed that. Strengthening the transmission would add some to that $2k figure... :):)

The other problem is getting that power to the ground. From what I've heard most of the local performance models have more power than chassis already, without the 50% power boost.

OK who here has DRIVEN an F6?

speculation is a wonderful thing... eg. "I think ferrari 360s have gone soft" easy for me to form an opinion, but I have not driven one, nor have I a 355 to compare. Humans are easily led lemmings. They read magazines, form biased opinions and don't have the experience to derive their own opinions.

I have worked closely with FPV's engineering cell, and let me tell you the F6 is a good unit. Drives better than any Falcon, and at a motokhana, the thing actually steers quite well and turns in well. Plenty of squirt for a factory car, and now it has the option of 6 pot Brembos on the front, so actually stops (unlike a taxi pack falcon). Sure it's based on a big-ass family saloon, but so is a Skyline 33 (yes I've owned one of those too)!

For the record my current car is a 32GTR, it is completely different, but I would happily have an F6 in the garage next to the 32 as a second car.