SAU Community

Whos Up For A Vic Drift Club?

PALADN

We are looking into creating a victorian drift club. This will mean more practices & therefore track time. Please email your name and number to [email protected]. plus some personal info like age/car/location/what you can bring to the club.

Please if you dont have anything constructive to say keep it to your self. This is just an idea that we need to see how many people will support.

As part of this we will be with cams so drivers will have a class 2N or 2NS licence.

How about some more details then?

current Expressions Of Interest, expected cost for membership / track days, expected frequency (monthly? daily? (heh)), time(friday night, saturday), etc.

If you know, that is. Please.

For people like me - no clue, looks interesting, *waaaaaay* to early to commit.

hey. Not a prob at all. The basic Idea behind it is to ether create or extend an existing club. with the aim of having track days(full days) once a month at giving price which will be set once we work out which track we will try and use. The basic idea of this post is to get people thinking about the idea and so that we can all meet in person at a given time and discuss the options before we make any thing solid.

The full track days would be held on a sat or sun which ever ones can booked . Also looking at running another night prac each month.

I have had about 30 people show interest already.

I hope that answered everything.

thats why im after expressions of interest. Calder charges $80 for les than 4 hours practice. In NSW they get full days 9-5 for $110. If all goes well we might be under the banner of an existing club that already has insurance.

As for tracks we will has to find some local hill climbs. I know that Gippsland is possible & the old climb near moe is spose to be rebuilt some time soon. Got any ideas? other than the big ones like. winton,phillip island,sandown?

Well you seem to be holding a lot of details to your chest... your gonna have to give more if you want more dude.

Like, full details of who you's been talking to, what arrangements and options that are currently on offer etc etc.

your using CAMS - so do you have the required officials and qualified people?

Bit hard to get EOI without it the core information like that being that this isnt as simple as rockup to Calder for the drift nights.

And FYI for other people (as your going through cams) - you need to be a memer of a CAMS affiliated car club before you can get your CAMS Licence ;)

So i guess its different to calder drift days, as its then not "open" as only club members/affiliates (with costs paid) will be able to attend.

hey thats true the only reason i havnt giving more details is that its only talk atm and i need to wait to confirm any thing b4 i say it. Calder can be hired for club practice with no licence for around 5000 a day. Cams as you stated must be through a cams club. Sorry about the details its just that i dont want to say anything b4 every thing is given a green light. you are welcome to call me and i will explain everything over the phone or in person. but i wont post in forums because it is generally taken the wrong way.

Also to start a cams club you dont need qualified people. But you can send people on training days with cams so that they are qualified.

As far as i understand members will get a discount on club events & others are welcome to join in.

as i said man call me if you want more. callum - 0418390675

im down man just let me know how it works...

I heard about no more drift comps at calder...

I rang calder today well friday and was told $5000 a weekday and $7,000 a weekend

it might work out but you need need around 60-100 people to make it worth it. Otherwise for 15 people to use it for a weekday thats $350 each + tyres and fuel.

If you need any help with organising/recruiting just pm me im friends with alot of the enterants of the fullock comps and people who do street drift.

Sweet thanks. Really to get the price right we need 60-70 people on a weekend and going by the amount of people at FLM events that is possible you get a full day at calder which would be sweet. If we get enough people together then we will be able to run days like that.

with 60-70 people thats alot of cars... remember there was alot of interstate cars.

Everyone wants as much track time at the lowest possible cost

$7000/50 people would be the best way i see it thats only $140 each + tyres and fuel should cost more than $200 for the day

Have groups of 10-15 at a time so the track isnt 2 crowded.

You would need to do more than just laps coz it can get repetative, practice tandems, team drift etc.

Maybe run a lil comp at the end...

Anyway if you need any help pm me

Well you seem to be holding a lot of details to your chest... your gonna have to give more if you want more dude.

Like, full details of who you's been talking to, what arrangements and options that are currently on offer etc etc.

your using CAMS - so do you have the required officials and qualified people?

Bit hard to get EOI without it the core information like that being that this isnt as simple as rockup to Calder for the drift nights.

And FYI for other people (as your going through cams) - you need to be a memer of a CAMS affiliated car club before you can get your CAMS Licence  :D

So i guess its different to calder drift days, as its then not "open" as only club members/affiliates (with costs paid) will be able to attend.

Exactly. Sounds like a great idea. But take into account the surrounding factors. CAMS aren't just going to jump onboard without a level of skepticism. CAMS aren't exactly the biggest fan of 'Drift' anyway.

Look, I would really like to see more of drift in Melbourne, but speaking from personal experience - it's not all sugar and cream. It seems that other states have an easier level of entry for tracks and what not. Melbourne motorsport tracks somehow have not yet embraced drifting yet. They don't see a prominent future for the sport.

Calder park (Bob Jane) may not like to be a partner in many more events. Speak to the proper authorities, do the homework.

All the best.

As far as calder is concerned. I have called them and spoken to their events people. They have told me that the track is still up for drifters to use but you must hire the rear track like you would to run a circuit day. The problem with the prac nights is that he makes 80 a car and not enough cars turn up.

If we can get a club together we might be able to start talking to other tracks and get them on board. I have been looking into this for the past 8 months & its now time to start acting on it. I have been talking to cams and they have told me that they want to get right into the drifting.

As far as calder is concerned. I have called them and spoken to their events people. They have told me that the track is still up for drifters to use but you must hire the rear track like you would to run a circuit day. The problem with the prac nights is that he makes 80 a car and not enough cars turn up.

If we can get a club together we might be able to start talking to other tracks and get them on board. I have been looking into this for the past 8 months & its now time to start acting on it. I have been talking to cams and they have told me that they want to get right into the drifting.

yeah absolutely, I'm willing to help and organise with you as well. I have emailed you

Chris ..

if you could also email add me to your email list for anything regarding this that would be great

[email protected]

Ye, CAMS have wanted to get into it in Vic for a while based on the discussions that have occured between SAU-Vic and CAMS.

The drift nights were good in respect that it was cheap, and bob jane has hardly done a great deal for Victorian Motorsport over the years

Trying to get a definate 80 people, every time isnt going to be easy.

If however you limit it to like 4 times a year, then its more feasible costing wise as people cant afford $200 once a fortnight (plus other costs).

I certainly couldnt and im hardly underpaid.

If you need a hand from a club level, SAU-Vic more than happy to help.

We've wanted to get into drifting for a long time but we dont have anyone to really pioneer it.

We do motorkhana's and track days with the WRX club so from the "organisational/CAMS/paperwork" point of view there is some great knowledge floating around.

The SAU-Vic committee e-mail doesnt spring to mind, im sure funkey will be back and see tihs thread and he can jam it in here :mellow:

Have you spoken to the guys @ fulllock, although i hear there is a bit of rumour floating around about a few things... it would be a good thought

Yeah I have spoken to adam & matt about this and they think its a very good idea. If SAU-vic is interested we can setup some sort of bond between the clubs once we get this sorted. If its falls through with the current club we would def like to get in on it with SAU-vic. Once again sorry about the lack of info but more is coming soon.

Also as far as track days go, one a month would be good but we just need to find the tracks.

Once I find out about more. I will get in contact with you to have a chat. I even think funky lives near me so that wont be to bad