SAU Community

R33 S1 & Fmic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok guys, just got my hybrid gt series cooler from aus, anything to watch out for, i heard the fan needs to be trimmed?, and i'll leave my car w/o a front bumper for a little, as the type m needs trmming and a respray

Hey man, installed similar cooler, on same car. Yeah fan blades need to be chopped. On the hybrid ones ther should be a connector on the tubing that goes into the throttle body for the return line on your solenoid, so that should be no dramas.

I chopped my front bar myself and it looks ok from the front but i made the mistake of letting my dad do the chopping with the angle grinder and he's a bit slap happy. I would have preferred to draw out where to cut etc etc, he just free handed it...

I'll get around to fixing it one day!!

To fit a genuine Hybrid, you will need to;

- mount the vaccum hose nipple to the intake pipe.

- Trim fan

- Cut a 4" hole through the car body, under the wash bottle

- Enlarge the std ic hole on the other side

- Cut front bar reo.

- Trim front bar plastic to clear fmic

- Yell out a whole lot of swear words, and curse at Hybrid and there so called "bolt on kit" :unsure:

If you are not confident, or good, at being hands on with you car, then this is the worse thing to start with. Better option may be to go to someone you can trust to do a neat job.

lol i'm with Al especially with the swearing bit. Ended up taking me like 14- 15 hours (first time i'd removed front bar!!) and i think i now have the copyright on most swear words.

Also like he said, if in doubt get it done by a pro. But if you do it yourself, might wanna get some paint to quickyl spray over the hole you cut in the body etc to stop rust forming.

If you pm me your email addy i can email you the hybrid instuctions.

Haven't got a pic of my mate's engine bay. (Mine was done/made by mechanic years ago) But I placed the nipple near the power steering reservoir, just b4 the bend. You will need to drill and ‘tape’ the pipe.

My mechanic by-passed the need for the nipple by slicing another air line and "T"ing in the solenoid line.

Two of my mates bought genuine Hybrid kits, both required the nipple to be mounted. Pain in the ass, had to drive to my mechanic's shop to borrow the tap, that has a very uncommon thread, as non of mine matched.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks alot for these instructions mate:)

- Trim fan

- Cut a 4" hole through the car body, under the wash bottle

- Enlarge the std ic hole on the other side

- Cut front bar reo.

- Trim front bar plastic to clear fmic

- Yell out a whole lot of swear words, and curse at Hybrid and there so called "bolt on kit"

Im with you on the swear words hahaha, im about 7 hours in so far lol, and still going, i too have only ever taken off my front for the first time few issues im coming accross:

1)cut the front reo to make way for cooler, cooler sits nicely now, didnt need to drill holes 250ml; apart as per instructed as they were already there:)

2)the 4" hole i need to make is obstructed by a holder which is plugged into 3 plugs

3) how do i go about extending the std i/c hole?, and why do we need to do this?, i find this area tricky as i couldnt get my pipework to meet on both ends without one end slipping off all the time!!!, though i havent extended the hole yet.

4) i have an auto trasmission cooler, which now is behind the intercooler, could this affect its cooling to an extent?

5) the pipe going accross the engine is seriously low, and it looks as though i mite to trim heaps off of the fanblades, which im in no position to do, workaround????, this is one of my main concerns

id say im about 40% complete, the reos cut, and the coolers on, now the hard part.....the PIPEWORk, and getting it all to fit

p.s how much of the piping has to be over the hoses before clamping them down???

1/ not sure what instructions you are refering to.

2/ Need to see a pic, or just move unit as pipe will need to pass there.

3/ I was too breif with my explanation.

If you are running a pod it is a great opertunaty to get some real cold air to it. Using 4" water drain pipes i managed to get air from the side vent in the bar to the unused hole. To maximise the flow i increased the size of the unused hole to 4".

4/ Yes very slightly, but don't worry about it as i have mounted my aftermarket eng. oil cooler in the same location :D

5/ Define "low". Some trimming is a must, but it shouldn't be alot. At a guess probably about 20mm on the horizontal edge and about 30mm on the vertical side, closest to the pipe.

6/ The pipes all have a "lip" the rubber needs to clear the lip and have enough over for the width of the clamp. The clamp must not overhang the edge of the rubber.

To compare how low you pipework is, refer to pic below:

post-1811-1138364472.jpgpost-1811-1138364528.jpg

NOTE: My fmic is not a Hybrid kit, but it should look very similar to this as both my mates' kits are.

PS: Using a little soapy water round the edge of the rubber pipes makes things a little easier. Soapy water will also evaporate and dry up, unlike oil, grease, etc.

i did a hybrid FMIC on my other white R33 i used to own.... what a bitch of a job.... shattered a 9" cutting through the front bar support and just getting the right cut out for the cooler to sit in, then cutting the fire wall, playing with the front bar etc etc etc... yer well it was my first go at anything like it and i got it in the end.... wasnt a TO bad job... bar was a little dodgy but hey what can ya do..

heres a couple of pics from it..

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1020003.jpg

P1050003.jpg

Hey al, ,my bumper now looks very similar to yuors after having it trimmed/welded professionally:), my cooler sits behind the reo bar, so i should have more than anough clearence for the type m front no (no further trimming) is this correct.And will the healdights/tailights need trimming?

Osiris....i trimmed my reo in the same manner as you, still keeping the main support intact, think it works very welll:)

Edited by nsta