SAU Community

R33 S1 & Fmic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i found the fan blades to be one of the hardest jobs to do i rekon.... I didnt know what to use to i used side cutters and a hack saw blade... what an effort.... pretty dam bodgy but it worked....

how do other people do them out of interest??

for the pipe going over the engine and down into a hole which needs to be made....... will 3.5" hole be adequete, or should i make a 3" hole/4" hole instead???

Is just that i have a 3.5" hole saw that i can use, no other sizes available to me apart from 3.5" (89mm), unless i buy one of course, and i'll the instrctions to mark out the centerline

instructions say 3" and AL says 4"??? so confused lol

My 4" was not a measurement but an approximation, as i did not have a holesaw handy. But i placed a rubber "grommet" around the hole to make it look neat, so the hole was made bigger, and also to account for engine movement, etc.

3.5" should be a good size.

To cut the fan blades i used my "Dremmel" tool, it's great for those tight places :).

done it today, 3.5" was indeed too big lol, but i will try and find a rubber grommet to use to make it look neat as well.

Al what needed trimming on your type m front???, ive plastic welded mine and everything, i'll be taking it to the panel beater tommorow...ummm i tested it out, and it seems the only thing hitting the reinforcement bar is the headlights, which will probably need trimming, other than that, i think the bar will fit onto the reo w/o having to trim the the depth of the trimmed area (crossing fingers), letting me keep alot of depth, as the cooler sits behind the reo as i trimmed the reo bar.

Type M has fog lamps near indicator, the fog lamps make the assy deeper and will hit the fmic. The std indicators are not as deep and should not touch the fmic. I changed mine from a Type M indicator to a std type (never really liked the fog lamp anyway)

3.5" too big :). What is the diametre of the pipe, 2.5"?

Don't have a pic and my car is at the mechanic's. Using the far passenger side vent, in the front bar, i made a duct (using 4" drain pipe) to direct air directly to the unused "std ic" hole. The hole was enlarged to 4" to allow the pipe to enter the air box. I used a small 90deg to support the pipe in the box and a simi bendable metal strap to support the pipe at the front bar vent. I also lined the hole with a made up rubber grommet to hold the pipe firmly. I am pretty sure i used two 45deg bends and a few short straight pipes to make the duct.

post-1811-1138621402.jpg

post-1811-1138621766.jpg

Another quick question AL, we fitted the bumper today, to check how much clearance weare going to get, it seems the old blinkers do the trick, but i have about 5-10cm gap between the bottom of the trimmed bumper and intercooler?does this sound right??? i told them to mesh it up, but the gap looks bad or it it just me???

thanks man, heaps of help, so a 90degree bend will do the job, did you mesh up both ends of the pipes for the intake???

You can use a 90deg but it is not as good.

Using a short pipe, then a 45, then a short pipe and another 45, would make a smoother air flow.

Another quick question AL, we fitted the bumper today, to check how much clearance weare going to get, it seems the old blinkers do the trick, but i have about 5-10cm gap between the bottom of the trimmed bumper and intercooler?does this sound right??? i told them to mesh it up, but the gap looks bad or it it just me???

when you trimmed the bottom, did you trim around the little support in the middle or the bar, then welded a small piece to fill cut out (thus maintaining maximum depth)? Or did you trim just behind this mould, to not require any welding on the lower lip? When bar is fitted what is the distance between the lower lip and the fmic?

Pics would definately help...........

PS: have a close look at my pics on the first page. If you trimmed the bar for maximum depth, it should look like mine. The Hybrid installs i did for my mates look identical to mine

well the top part wasnt trimmed at all, and i got the welder to keep it that depth the whole way through, so i think i may have lost some DEPTT to the bumper???

im going to go see the welder tommrow as my car is at his garage right now, and before preppin i mite jst get him to weld more plastic as hell know exactly how much is needed now

cheers

hey, yeh its definitely the lower lip that hasnt got the depth im after!, theyve already started respray on the bumper today, and it wll be ready for pickup tommorow.

Do you think i'll be able to add more depth to the bumper later on, and have only that part resprayed? or will it look odd, and instead a full bumper respray will be needed!

one thing thats really odd AL, is that ive got the same amount of depth that you have on your trim? maybe you have your cooler mounted more infront?

Ive just thought about it, and it'd be easier to just mount the cooler more infront, instead of adding depth to the bumper, as theres already alot there...........whats the easiest way to mount the cooler more infront, longer silicon hoseS?

Edited by nsta