SAU Community

Who Here Is Sick Of Their Job?

Bl4cK32

but i dont want to to anything remotly electronical just build dang pc's

and Tafe recon the entrance test is very mathimatical and algebra based which is why i gave them a wot the face :(

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to sound old school here guys, but every swinging dick is going and getting some sort of uni degree and not following up with what they have studied. i'm a qualified Diesel Mech and have been for about 8 years now. At the moment in Aust there is the biggest shortage of qualified trades people and believe me there are plenty of companies out the are paying big dollars for people who have a trade and are willing to work a bit. Currently working in the oil and gas industry off shore over the west and there are people out there making money like you wouldn't believe. Mostly working 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. Mines are the same big money on rotation work. And they can't get people, as there is that much work.

whats with the mines industry? is it because of demand and supply in the fact that there is a shortage of ppl willing to work there due to the health hazards/dangers thus means more money as an incentive.

Hate to sound old school here guys, but every swinging dick is going and getting some sort of uni degree and not following up with what they have studied. i'm a qualified Diesel Mech and have been for about 8 years now. At the moment in Aust there is the biggest shortage of qualified trades people and believe me there are plenty of companies out the are paying big dollars for people who have a trade and are willing to work a bit. Currently working in the oil and gas industry off shore over the west and there are people out there making money like you wouldn't believe. Mostly working 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. Mines are the same big money on rotation work. And they can't get people, as there is that much work.

taeh i gotta a mate who is a qualified auto electrician he works in broome and makes heaps more than in a major city. yeah he done the hard yard on apprentice wage for 3 or 4 years and loves it now. next he wants to work in a mine and he reckons he will clear 1800/week. thats good money no matter what you do. B)

hey i would do that too but my color blindness limits my wire work to almost nothing. safety issues thats. why i am gonna degree myself up its a personal thing too. :blink:

Too much work and not enough people. If you ever get the chance get a Saturday paper from Perth and the employment section is about as thick as our Saturdays paper. Not Dangerous. You only here about the bad shit on the news, their safety standards in oil and gas and the mines are alot better than you will ever see in any city job.

Edited by GTROB

people are not following up on what they have studied because when they graduated they realise that the job they are in is not exactly what they expected from their 'degree'. happens all the time.

Ive done the pc tech. tafe course too, and it aint that great. sure it interested me while i was doing it, and showed me a few different things to branch off into, i didnt want to end up building and fixing peoples computers....

Surely there are some good salary jobs which dont entail me travelling underground, or out to sea for 3 weeks?

The only reason ive considered study is i think it would benefit more in the long run....how many people study a trade and are still in it 10+ years? (besides anyone over 40 :blink:)?

people are not following up on what they have studied because when they graduated they realise that the job they are in is not exactly what they expected from their 'degree'. happens all the time.

yeah it pays to research b4 you throw yourself into a degree. i have a few friends who made that mistake! you dont want to do 3 years of study and then go i dont like this :blink:

Ive done the pc tech. tafe course too, and it aint that great. sure it interested me while i was doing it, and showed me a few different things to branch off into, i didnt want to end up building and fixing peoples computers....

Surely there are some good salary jobs which dont entail me travelling underground, or out to sea for 3 weeks?

The only reason ive considered study is i think it would benefit more in the long run....how many people study a trade and are still in it 10+ years? (besides anyone over 40 :blink:)?

Heaps at the moment as ther is no young people doing that kind of stuff. So the old blokes ask what ever $'s they want.

Edited by GTROB

The only reason ive considered study is i think it would benefit more in the long run....how many people study a trade and are still in it 10+ years? (besides anyone over 40 :))?

yeah agreed couple of my mates r trying to get me to start my own pc buisness and i said naw i like doing ur pc's as a hobby ill build u pc and fix em for small commission but if i own my own buisness then the joy of playing with pc's wouldnt be there any more...

but i wouldnt mind (i think) working for sum1 like Leader computers and just building and installing maybee ... such a hard descision :blink: and it doeesnt get any easier the older u get

hmm interesting read this

i have pretty weird story also from leaving school i went to tafe to do electronic engineering 3 yr course found myself in far to deep maths wise and shifted after a yr. Did a 12 month pc course kind finshed that and realise it was more of a hobby then a job meanwile i had been working in my fathers cast iron foundry running furnace/moulding machine/grinder pourer oh wot fun. After it was shut down by local brompton council (evironment) we murged with Trigg Brothers (trailer couplings). Where i ran more moulding machines i started to realise this wasnt fun, this is prob bout where you are in your current job (black32).

So decided to do something completly different and now im a manager at a Video Store. Now in my 4th yr im starting to doubt this job to getting boring and tiring dealing with women and there six kids who wonder why a dvd doesnt work when its got vegimite all over it. (This dvd doent work in our player and we know it not our player cause it BRAND NEW)bang bang bang is my head against the wall. Overdues, stolen stock, winge winge winge.

So now im at the point where i go wot the f**k do i do now?

Sorry bout the long story but thought i would share a comlete change in job story that wasnt that great

Erin

lol skippy....one of my welding jobs was building them 10k+ camper trailers down to the simple 6x4's. Ive probably welded a few of them trigg couplings onto trailers :blink: (can anyone say kevin bacon game)

Good story though, and it highlights why i should think about where i wanna end up....(just like kerry packer = 1+ million a day :))

Edited by Bl4cK32