SAU Community

Who Here Is Sick Of Their Job?

Bl4cK32

yeah it pays to research b4 you throw yourself into a degree. i have a few friends who made that mistake! you dont want to do 3 years of study and then go i dont like this :blink:

so true :)

but a degree is only a stepping stone

as GTROB said, there are a BIG shortage in the oil and mining industry.

Spoken to an chief engineer and he said he never able to get an engineer will work with him for more than 6 months

as the demand is not only australia but worldwide

but u have to be really good at physic, maths, chem

u can think about this if u decid to go back to uni

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well...interesting thread and one i enjoyed reading. I've done the uni course and am graduating once they decide the day and month this year, and like some have said, alot of people go into the degree but have no interest when they find out what it is. Furthermore alot of people have completed it and wondered why they did it, the drop out rate i think was like 75% or something close to that in the first 2 years. I will agree degrees are good, but make sure it is something you're interested in and read up on it.

In terms of the maths issues with tafe and uni, there are many little courses or help centres at each that you can use or go to, and they are excellent. I tutored maths from years 10-12 while i was at uni for some extra cash, and i still had trouble at uni, but the main thing is if ya have trouble just ask, cause the explaination is soo much easier, and the help centres made it easy (er).

My dad went back to do year 12 at Hamilton high and that helped him alot as he could basically go choose a uni or tafe course, he chose tafe and did a geophysics course and didnt find it hard...he is 40 (im 22). Tafe is also good cause if ya use the resources correctly you can get work placement for work experience and continue with that -> my mate also did electronics engineering in tafe and use the tafe resource or career centre to get a job. So don't be fooled into thinking that uni is the only way at all.

Furthermore (sorry for the essay fella's), the amount of tradeswork out now is hitting the roof, people in all industries need em, and the mines are also awesome. My uncle is earning $2700 a week for laying cables out at a mine, with three weeks on, and food and accomadation paid for.. and he is 33. At the same time my dad has his own trade business, and as long as you stick with it you'll start bringing in the $$$, but you have to stick with it for a couple of years and you'll be happy ya did! I currently work with him until February when i start work (engineering) in steel reinforcement and i get decent pay.

So in short, what ever path you take make sure you know what it surrounds and that you like that area, even mechanics are getting sparse these days.... so if people like playing with cars and the likes.... :blink: Furthermore, study is hard at first, but its definetely not impossible. My Family ranges all over the place in terms of tradesman, diploma's, graduates etc etc... so fella's... do ya best in what ya do, get noticed and you'll be off. And very sorry for the essay. And for the person that mentioned about the whole study and not working, you can do part-time if need be which will take that little bit longer, but at least you have the flexability to some extent.

Sorry again for the lecture

Dan

Almost forgot, i worked with computers and built them in year 10 and 11, it is a good industry to get into and can also lead into IT area. But just make sure that ya know quite abit, as sometimes the money from it isnt the best unless you have a broad knowledge. Owning ya own business or starting one is a great idea :blink:

hey mate at the end of the day u got ur car and just find something u enjoy doing and ull be happy.

ive been living out of home for 4yrs

i ve been studying at flinders for 5yrs now (well not really 4yrs + half of this yr fr 2 final subjects) i also work driving forklift and will have a casual job at uni as a prac demonstartor. ive been studying computer engineering/computer science. almost done and im 22 turning 23 in september

it hasnt been an easy time but it has taught me alot.

ive worked many jobs from working for carlton and united (best job ever!) being paid to drink beer- to cleaning peoples toilets, mowing lawns with dogshit building retaining walls by myself, gardening :unsure: as well as many labour jobs with a mates business such as plastering and renovating houses, painting etc. ive wrked at bunnings for 6yrs on top of this time as well, foodland for like a month.

Edited by r31turbo

Im a corporate slave!!!!!!!!!... Want to get out and work for my self one day... When supposedly i have enough experience!... f**kwit stupid people piss me off especially when you work for them!!!!! (managers at electrolux cooking plant)!

I hate having to say "how high" when they say "jump".

You can put me in the happy basket 10% too, although I'm a little bored right now, which is why I'm on here instead of working. :unsure:

If you're thinking about engineering in Adelaide right now, I think you'd be mad not to study something that'll help you get in to the Defence Industry (incidently where my company's primary activities lay), esp. with big projects such as Air Warfare Destroyer coming online at ASC. They're going to be hiring like mad in a few years, and not just engineers, tradies too (sparkies/welders/etc).

Other than Software Eng, we primarily have Mechanical, Electrical, and Robotics (half Mech & Elec) Engineers, and they get to play with some pretty interesting stuff.

In fact, if you were REALLY to aim at the AWD project, how about studying Naval Architecture? That's if the Bee Keeping doen't pan out. :D

Edited by Oosh

OOSh.... is bee keeping your new occupation? So that was the offer that kept you in SA!!!..

By the way anyone keen on flexing/cruising next few days get my car back tonight and hoepfully problem with turbo will be gone --> otherwise i am going to go mental (if not fixed).

(ps: less revenue creators on the roads on weeknights than weekends!)

I was in a similiar postion when I was 22.

I decided to bite the bullet and go to Uni.

3years is now up, a couple of little bits here and there to tidy up and my degree is finished.

3years goes so damn quick its not funny. Do the study I say, just make sure you know what you want to do and aim realistically as uni can become very very hard if you make the wrong choice.

Ive almost finished my B.I.T, I intend to do a little furthur study and hopefully get in to I.T education.

Thats the hard part. Making sure what you study will end up where you want.

Anyone had a look at all the available courses to date? They just say cetrificate x, or diploma.....it doesnt really give any indication on where you could realisitcly end up...

how many F&^%$ engineers do we have on here? :P my mate reckons work for dsto government job and besides the full on interview its a bludge.. im gonna apply mid year

Wonderful, another bludger in a public service job... Edited by Oosh

funny you bring up how many engineer's there are as i just attended my mates graduation. actually a few of them who have all just recently graduated in engineering whether it be civil/mechanical etc etc. the thing with uni is that there are so so many people doing the same course that you will be doing which in turn leads to a enormous number of graduates that can make it hard to find a job afterwards.

atm im getting $28 an hour for unskilled labour, and im not happy doing what im doing. I think if you like what you are doing, money will come second....but it will follow :(

My advice if you are looking to study, is to try and build on the skills you have.

Without industry experience in the field you choose to study in, for most degrees it will be a few years AFTER you finish study before you are back to where you are now income wise.

Have you considered something like a management course, some of which can be done in addition to your current job, so you don't have to make a financial sacrifice to get something out of it?

Just thinking out loud here for you.

Anyone had a look at all the available courses to date? They just say cetrificate x, or diploma.....it doesnt really give any indication on where you could realisitcly end up...

Check the flinders uni course listings, i know they give you an indication of potential employers and type of job.

My advice if you are looking to study, is to try and build on the skills you have.

Without industry experience in the field you choose to study in, for most degrees it will be a few years AFTER you finish study before you are back to where you are now income wise.

Have you considered something like a management course, some of which can be done in addition to your current job, so you don't have to make a financial sacrifice to get something out of it?

Just thinking out loud here for you.

Keep thinking out loud chops, cos it helps me see all sides of the square. :)

You are right though from what ive noticed. Everytime i seem to go for jobs, they group you into an area (fabrication/welding) where i dont wish to stay. Its hard to get out of a line of work once you go down that path. Thankfully (i ithink:)) im at the age where i can still swap blue for white collar, and get some experience before it matters...i dont mind getting my hands dirty, just i dont want to do it forever :)

Whatever i choose it'll be fore the long run, so i know starting off down low again may suck for the shortterm....hopefully i choose right and i wont have to ever look back.

Management is always going to have to come into it i spose if you want to end up at the top after a while...was looking at some management courses today actually :(

Ive narrowed it down though (in no order)...business management, or engineering (not sure on mechanical or civil)

You don't neccesarily HAVE to end up as a manager to earn more in an engineering environment, i know our company recognises if you have someone who's shit-hot in their field then maybe pushing them in to management isn't the best use of them, so there's "Technical Leads" and "Discipline Heads" who'll earn more than the average but still work mostly on the "coal face".

You don't neccesarily HAVE to end up as a manager to earn more in an engineering environment, i know our company recognises if you have someone who's shit-hot in their field then maybe pushing them in to management isn't the best use of them, so there's "Technical Leads" and "Discipline Heads" who'll earn more than the average but still work mostly on the "coal face".

So true on that aspect! Specifically if they are good at that particular things but lack the communication skills. You'll figure it out soon, but both chooses there sound great!!

Oosh, the company you work for doesn't happen to be located at tech park does it? And yes, I am an engineer in the defence industry too. Quite funny reading this post and how many engineers there are.

I wouldn't say I am exactly happy with my job either and am considering other industries. Just seems like a bit of a waste considering I spent 5 years getting 2 degrees. I think you just have to find something you are happy doing. My 2c anyhow.