SAU Community

Who Here Is Sick Of Their Job?

Bl4cK32

I was in the military since I left high school at 18 uptil I was 20. Its hell tough in there; especially since I was in army commandos (paratroopers). I was then thinking of signing a 10 year contract where the military basically takes care of you for the rest of your working career.

But, my family talked me out of it and since I was good at my hands, I took up dentistry at adelaide uni. I have been enjoying it ever since then. Now in my fourth year of uni, I still enjoy seeing patients and meeting new people...

remember me when you guys have dental problems :P

Edited by danieltangtc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the military since I left high school at 18 uptil I was 20. Its hell tough in there; especially since I was in army commandos (paratroopers). I was then thinking of signing a 10 year contract where the military basically takes care of you for the rest of your working career.

But, my family talked me out of it and since I was good at my hands, I took up dentistry at adelaide uni. I have been enjoying it ever since then. Now in my fourth year of uni, I still enjoy seeing patients and meeting new people...

dam straight ill remember u :) ... where do i come fix u to fix my teeth :lol:

hey dan, are you in adelaide already? if so holla back we need to catch up!!!

My advice: Uni = waste of time. It just teaches u how to problem solve, which a lot of people allready know how to do. THe people who make all the doe work for themselves. I could have taught myself my uni course in about half the time by cutting out the bullshit and using my time wisely!

U look at all the people who are making serious bucks and tell me how many of them went to uni!

The people making all the money are the ambitious people who work for them selves and will push through anything. If u are keen/interested enough in your work and portray the correct personality traits a human being can excell and make money in any area/field.

It all depends on how you react to other people (ie peo0ple skills).

I know a lot of people (perhaps some of the smartest around) who will spend there whole lives being kept down and suppressed as some management chronies gimp engineer whos knowledge and information will be reaped for money!!!!! All i have to do is take a look around my work!

My advice: Uni  = waste of time. It just teaches u how to problem solve, which a lot of people allready know how to do. THe people who make all the doe work for themselves. I could have taught myself my uni course in about half the time by cutting out the bullshit and using my time wisely!

U look at all the people who are making serious bucks and tell me how many of them went to uni!

The people making all the money are the ambitious people who work for them selves and will push through anything. If u are keen/interested enough in your work and portray the correct personality traits a human being can excell and make money in any area/field.

It all depends on how you react to other people (ie peo0ple skills).

I know a lot of people (perhaps some of the smartest around) who will spend there whole lives being kept down and suppressed as some management chronies gimp engineer whos knowledge and information will be reaped for money!!!!! All i have to do is take a look around my work!

i disagree with the uni waste of time bit.

not everyone has those ppl skills and have to excel in different paths such as knowledge! me myself have ppl skills but not those required to run my own business, plus having your own business is a 24 hour commitment, always ways you can improve, advertising, competitiveness.....etc, but in the end it is solely up to you. i would like a job that ends at 5pm then i can go home and enjoy my family life. i have a mate thats an electrician and works hard as a dog chasing that dollar! dont get me wrong he makes excellent money but gets home 7-8pm every night. money is not everything!

im going back to uni this year part-time but not just to get a degree but along the way build my to build my self confidence, follow a legacy and meet great ppl.

i wouldn't say uni is a waste of time coz i can guarantee every bit of technology you are using everyday was developed and refined with ppl with degrees! take your car for example ppl with trades just service them but where did it all come from? c'mon whos gonna design the next car you drive or when you get sick?

:huh:

yer i agree...knowledge is a wealth that can be earned as well as money.

How many people who own their own business get so far, before they need the help of them big shots to show them where to go next, to expand etc etc...

Its also who you know, not what you know in some cases...but blue collar slugging it out is where im getting out of :huh:

I think most of u will find when u actually finish your degrees and find an engineering job u will use probably at most 1% of the knowledge you learnt at uni. : half the people that we employ at electrolux are not engineers, merely people from the lower ranks who have worked hard to step up from trade/apprentices etc --> ie the passionate hard working ones.

The engineers who remain engineers all their lives in my book are losers: merely someones pawn being used!!!!!

whatever! :D

i think you will find the world is not just made up of people working at electrolux. and im sure doctors, lawyers, and yes even engineers do use more than 1% of what they learn. by the way we are all pawns its just a matter of perspective if you ask me

but thats just what i think :D

doctors engineers (most of my family) etc are just pawns just cos they get paid abit higher than most... in reality the money is still limited and runs out if you raise ur standard of living u need to be a self made income earner to be able to do as u please and not be restricted by ur company and yearly income

to sum it up its good to get an education and also use ur own skills and so that u can make the decisions u feel u can stand by strongly in terms of career/ business ventures

its all learning. those that dont suceed its usually cos they cant be f*ked to struggle a little

Edited by r31turbo

I think most of u will find when u actually finish your degrees and find an engineering job u will use probably at most 1% of the knowledge you learnt at uni.

Being accepted in to that job without a degree is the problem.

Sure you may not use the knowledge initially but you will find later down the track your saying to your self.. thats right I remember something about that, where's that text book again.

Don't forget the communication skills you now learn at uni as most courses incorporate psychology and english topics, i.e industrial psychology, professional english etc. All of which are very usefull in the work place.

Edited by Cubes

IMO that doesn't make them smart at all.

IMO that doesn't make them smart at all.

Indeed, i make a distinction between "smart" and "intelligent", i guess it's the same as the old "street smarts" vs. "book smarts".

Chris, I think you under estimate just how much you use (or will use) what you've learnt from uni, but i do agree it isn't the be all and end all.

Personally I've learnt a LOT more in 3 years of full-time work than the same amount of time i spent in uni, BUT without that base, i wouldn't have been able to learn so much.

if u never get promotion or start a "small" business, then have a degree or not is not a big deal.

it will eventually be a barrier once u get to the higher level.

so do it when u are young, it help u go up easier and it's easier to study when u are young

it is not a guarantee of success, but proved u capture certain ability / knowledge

it also give u a choice of going higher education.

it totally another world, u will find lot's of yr classmate are in upper management level, then this is yr time to know "someone"

Edited by Maxx

I left school at the start of year 12 to become an apprentice mechanic at Prestige Walkerville, only to be shafted at three month probation. Jobless for two weeks, I went back to cleaning dishes at a local butcher (pocket money job after school for two years) who later offered me a job as an apprentice. I was a qualified butcher at 20y/o (21 now). After getting my hands dirty for three of a four years apprentiship ( got my trade after three years ), I hung up the mesh glove for some cleaner work in a hobby that I've been almost every weekend since I was 12. I now work at www.modelflight.com.au in our wholesale division.

Best job in the world with decent pay, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

My advice, study / do what you enjoy. Why study something when you are unsure if you'll like it? I'd take a good, low paying job anyday over a high paying job that I didn't like doing.

Tim

Be good at what you do and do something you enjoy and you'll do fine (that doesnt mean doll bludging or being lazy :rofl:).

I wll disagree about uni being a waste of time on the basis of doctors, dentists, chemists etc etc. I also reckon being at uni definetely helped in communication skills and interacting with others in groups and teams. Uni also offers subjects not directly related which broadens your knowledge. At the same time it also definetely helps in getting a job, various small courses (one day or less) to improve self confidence, job interviews, interaction etc etc. In short, in some areas uni is great... even helps for gym work :) lol, and some of the girls you meet are great ;) So i wouldnt say uni is a waste unless you go there just for the sake of it not looking for anything at the end of it - i.e. the bunch of people sitting in the group smoking (nothing against smokers) that do nothing, are there for double the length of their degree and dont do anything..but waste time...then that is a waste.

On the other hand people who are ambitious and good at what they do are also very happy, working as a tradesman with me dad on the holidays i notice this as i talk alot with others in various trades (done this for close to 9 years, and when younger worked in a bakery), and these people are doing well for themselves. However when it comes to their taxes, reports, drawings they follow or principles all come from people with knowledge, as a weak foundation of knowledge will mean that most likely the project will fail -> i.e. Working in steel reinforcement, if we didnt do it to the engineers specs, nor asked them and something happens...good bye to all that saved money!! and the business name. But entreuprenors are ambitious people and they to are also great at what they do, sell themselves..and look at them now (i.e. Richard Bransen -> Virgin airlines etc etc)

So in short (guess most of you guys would be rolling your eyes now) there are pro's and cons with all ways, some people have skills and likes in various areas...let them take that path. Do what ya like and enjoy!! and get paid for it :D. This isnt a thread on being rich, but on having a job you either like or hate lol. I enjoy labor work as it relaxes me from uni, but i like uni _> as i know i have the skills in that area of profession while having a network of resources to help in getting me a job i like and being in various organisations that further extend it.

DO what you ENJOY! :)

Almost forgot -> graduate from a uni can get a full house loan without the bank looking twice :P ... that could be the reason i went to uni (hind sight is great)

A degree is classed as equivalent of having fulltime employment. You still have to jump through the usual hoops. (savings, credit & employment history)

The exception to this is if you don't have a deposit, you might be able to get a graduate loan through Homestart