SAU Community

Y31 Cima Air Bag Suspension

Hi,

does anyone know if there are any aftermarket options to replace the stock air bags on a cima?

OR if any other models' suspension can be used to replace the air bags completely?

OR a good wrecker (Other than in SA, tried most already) that have them/can get them?

Ive tried nissan they want $665 each plus two weeks from Japan.

cheers

Aden.

I think Terry(me boss) is getting a s/h one from Japan for another customer it might be worth having a chat to him if you havent already good luck phone numbers below might take awhile for one to come up on the auctions though

My mate just split the airbags in his Cima

he ended up getting adjustable coil overs custom made to suit for $2200 install

is probably the best option as installing and aftermarket airbag setup will cost over $5000

and second hand parts are likely to fail again

your best bet is to replace the airbags with coilovers. you can buy a set for about $1000 secondhand and they come up time to time :D I am also looking for a set for my Y31 gloria...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

does anyone know if there are any aftermarket options to replace the stock air bags on a cima?

OR if any other models' suspension can be used to replace the air bags completely?

OR a good wrecker (Other than in SA, tried most already) that have them/can get them?

Ive tried nissan they want $665 each plus two weeks from Japan.

cheers

Aden.

Ok, after going through the same thing i have some info that can help. Firstly i was quoted $1600 each, plus 2 weeks shipping from Nissan. Dont know who you went through, but can you please give me their number because thats an awesome price for new struts!!

Secondly, I spoke to some airbag suspension places and they told me it would be $700 to get aftermarket airbags put on the OEM struts. Compared to the $1600 that was quite tempting (cos aftermarket bags dont mind being deflated).

Going through the any of the Yahoo Purchasing services was going to cost me about $400, and that was getting closer to my budget.

Finally i rang JustJap in sydney and they managed to get me one front and both rear struts (secondhand) for $250!! Really dont know how they managed that because I cant imagine shipping being so cheap. Only downside was the 8 week wait. But i have them now, and although they look kinda old, they seem to be holding up...

Anyway, as others have mentioned, you might be able to get coilovers for around the $1000+ mark from Yahoo auctions, but they all seem to be the JIC SF-1s and from what i have been told these are a brutally stiff coilover. Plus for me i *need* air sus because my front bar is only 1-2cm off the ground when the car is lowered just right...

If you just need something to get you by, i have been told that R31 skyline (Aus spec) struts fit. Only problem is that the brakes are much smaller, and its 4 stud instead of 5 stud

Another option is Z31 300ZX struts which are also supposed to be plug and play. THe turbo models had 5 stud, and similar brakes, but i believe they are kinda rare...

I have taken out Y31 strut and compared it to a R31 strut and I can say for cartain they DO NOT fit.

The top hat is a different size and the holes dont line up. the brakes are different and the travel distance is 40 mm longer with the R31 strut.

The inserts may however be the same as non airbag Y31s...

My Y31 has springs insted of bags and one of my struts needs replacing. thats why I took it out and compared it with an R31 strut.

the inserts are exactly the same travel distance and they fit into the base of the strut with the same screw type.

But I still dont know if the top thread of the insert will fit on the Y31 tophat.

If any one can confirm that. I would really appreciate it as i dont want the super hard ride of the JICs.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I seem to be in the same situation at the moment.

Front Coilies are fairly rooted on my Y31 Cima

Dont really want to put in some second hand ones...

Anyone know of any other options apart from the Jics?

Have heard of people converting the front of R31's overs to a S13 suspension setup

Just wondering if there is any truth to this as from what I can see it might be doable on the Cima

Edited by SideWaysChef