SAU Community

Rx 7 Spirit R

BLACKR

I was wondering if you guys could shed some light to my question.

I know that this topic was partly covered before but anyhow. Appart from my beloved skyline i am thinking of getting another car, and was considering Mazda RX7 Spirit - Limited edition (i think ther is only 1500 made world wide)

How would you guys rate it performance wise and is a good bang for buck? Is it worth while spending 40 or so grands for it say in comparison to EVO 8 ETC. i LOVE SKYLINE AND THAT WILL ALWAYS BE MY FIRST love so threfore will never selll it, BUT I have always wanted to have 2 performance cars in my garage.Is it true that rebuilt is a must every 3-5 years regardless of modifying it or not.Also how would you rate it.Please help me come up with as realistic picture about it as possible

Thanks

Just looking at it should be enough to convince you to buy one!

1286-1.jpg

And you don't really get an RX7 based on bang for you buck. They are a pure sports car designed to compete with Porsches, and are expensive to buy and run. Having said that, engine rebuilds every 3 years for a stock motor is an exaggeration. The days of the NSU Ro80 are long gone!

I think the EVO8 delivers more bang for your buck than the RX7, and is far more practical. But it is compromised by being based upon a shopping trolley, so despite its huge performance, stepping into the drivers seat would not be as much of an event as stepping into the drivers seat of the RX7. And if you want a practical sports car, the RX7s brother can deliver that!

mazda-rx8-795761.jpg

Plus in an RX7/8, people wont think your driving a Lancer with a body kit.

there are very very few cars that deliver more 'bang for buck' than an FD - evo is not one of them. Conversely, there aren't many cars that require as much care and research (in terms of modification), either.

In japan, you're looking at 3.5-4 million yen for a spirit-r: so you aren't going to get one for A$40k-ish

My advice: look for a version VI RS (late 2000-02) - as the majority of the spirit-r differences are aesthetic.

From the Evo7 onwards, they don't look anything like a normal Lancer anymore.

I have seen lots of Lancers done up to look like an Evo6 but NONE that make it look like an Evo7/8/9.

In fact with the Evo7/8/9 having the different headlights to the current model Lancer there is zero chance of someone thinking you're driving a Lancer with a body kit.

the RX7 i think its a car more based on an appeal and rarity. Bang for your buck isnt a question for a car like that. I think its an individual liking to the car that is most important. Plus i would suggest you drive one first.

I have seen lots of Lancers done up to look like an Evo6 but NONE that make it look like an Evo7/8/9.

In fact with the Evo7/8/9 having the different headlights to the current model Lancer there is zero chance of someone thinking you're driving a Lancer with a body kit.

I'd love an RX7 more than an Evo, but as for not seeing any Lancers that look like an Evo 7/8/9, how about this 'Evo 7' looking kit for this Lancer? With a few other modifications I reckon you could almost complete the illusion. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you can get a kit that looks like an Evo 8 or 9!

"Even my boogers are spicy!"

post-13548-1136956052.jpg

Thanks alot guys for the input.Let me rephrase bang for buck as inuniqueness for buck. I supose you ar eright saying that there is somehting rare and special in sitting behind the wheel of RZ-7 spec R or VI RS as they are rare.I like Evo, hence the mention of it.But as you say too many wonnabe copies and only a knowledgable person cann tell the difference.

Thanks 1 more time

bY THE WAY THIS IS THE ONE I HAD IN MIND SELLING FOR 49GRAND

post-21820-1136958243.jpg

that picture look awsome!

and with the evo deal, i think people just dont have the cash to blow on a body kit assuming they wouldnt be as cheap as the 97-2002 model lancer kits. But i know when i see an Evo they still stand out.

Zero chance? Maybe for the current 2006 model, but what about the pre-face lift Lancers?

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

hcgcglfd.jpg

2004 Mitsubishi EVO8

lrzevofp.jpg

Nope, you haven't convinced me. I think you could VERY easily body kit a stock lancer to look like an EVO. Get rid of the wings, rims, scoops etc. on the EVO and I reckon it'd look just like the standard model...

there are three versions of the spirit-r: type a, b, and c. The b and c are four-seaters, the a is the pick of the bunch - not because it has two seats (I personally prefer the four seaters), but because those seats are kevlar/carbon backed recaros.

the type c is an auto - and therefore should be avoided like the plague (it misses out on a few of the other good fruits too - including the bilsteins).

the car pictured above appears to be either a type b or c.

the spirit-r is a tarted up version of the (much rarer) RZ rx7. The RS is not a limited edition.

If you already have your performance car(Nissan) why don't you spend a bit more on that and buy a bit cheaper car and try and find a IS300 for daily driving. Whack some 19's slam it and away you go.

Look, not too crazy about IS300 too slow for my tatse, and has not got the looks and uniqueness to RX(still a damn mighty car dont get me wrong). 6 months ago i let 300zx tt go (no i didnt let it go coz it was crap, it cost me over $25grands and was fab to drive) and since then have missed having 2 cars, so i have thought about buying RX7 for a long time.I's finally hitting me.Hopefully i can talk down the price a little bit as i saw Prestige doing Rx7 VI 2000 fully complianced for 35.000 (i know it's not spirit R). We'll see how we go

there are three versions of the spirit-r: type a, b, and c.  The b and c are four-seaters, the a is the pick of the bunch - not because it has two seats (I personally prefer the four seaters), but because those seats are kevlar/carbon backed recaros.

the type c is an auto - and therefore should be avoided like the plague (it misses out on a few of the other good fruits too - including the bilsteins).

the car pictured above appears to be either a type b or c.

the spirit-r is a tarted up version of the (much rarer) RZ rx7.  The RS is not a limited edition.

I can assure you that it is RX7 Spirit R (1500 ever made).It has all the logos and emblems. more then that has the serial number.Dont remember the number but it goes something like ".... out of 1500" or something.

Nope, you haven't convinced me.  I think you could VERY easily body kit a stock lancer to look like an EVO.  Get rid of the wings, rims, scoops etc. on the EVO and I reckon it'd look just like the standard model...

True. It is possible.

However although I've seen many older model Lancers done to look like Evo6s but NONE of the next model Lancer done to look like Evo7s.

I don't know why but it is what I have observed.

I'd even say there are more real Evo7/8/9s than Evo7/8/9 fakes. Therefore due to the small amount of Evo7/8/9 fakes, you would not be mistaken for driving a bodykitted Lancer.

blackr - never said it wasn't, in fact I said it's either a type b or c.

what I was saying was that the spirit-r (the type a, to be precise) is simply an RZ rx7 (of which 175 were made in that particular production run), with a few aesthetic add-ons - so it's not so much 'rarity' that's a factor (though 1500 is a relatively small run), but the fact that it's a 'last of the line' version. Given that an RS (which has most of the RZ goodies) is lineball in terms of performance - it's probably the better buy (unless you are cashed up and don't care). HOWEVER, there is the question of resale - and who knows if people in the future will care about the spirit-r/rz or not (though in the short term, it would reap benefits).

to the OP - another 2c - for version VI - stick to the higher spec models: the spirit-r, RZ, RS, R and bathurst r* - they are worth the extra cash (and, trust me, have more than the 280ps advertised. The auto versions and base spec are 265ps).

* bathurst r, for all other versions, is a bargain basement spec - but they changed that for the version VI

saying you can tell the difference between a evo and gli lancer is like saying you have no idea what the difference between a gtr and any other skyline is .

ive never seen someone say :

dont get a gtr , people will think its a gts with a body kit!

The difference is that the Skyline GTS still generally gets peoples respect, whereas the nat atmo Lancer is one of the most hated cars on the planet. Besides, my original comment was only a minor point in my post, and people have blown it way out of proportion!!!

Edited by Big Rizza