SAU Community

Importing An R34

Hey guys,

well im looking at doing my first import, an r34 gt-t 1998. Note very familiar with what it involves as far as raw's and so on... can any1 who has done their own import let me know of what it cost them?? what it involves??

would be great to find out if its even worth my while!!

thanks

Importing car costs:

1. Purchase cost of car in Japan*

2. Shipping, wharf, customs and agent fees (about $2k)

3. Shipping insurance (optional)

4. Import duty (10% duty plus 10% GST)

5. Compliance (get a quote from nearby workshops - budget $5k in the mean time and be happy if it is less!)

6. Tyres ($varies)

7. Alarm/Immobiliser ($varies)

8. Stamp Duty (varies from state to state)

9. Licensing and Registration (varies from state to state)

10. Also might want to include a service, wash and full professional detail as the vehicle will have been sat unused for months and will be absolutely filthy.

*(include auction fees, import agent fees, money transfer fees etc.)

Anyone else feel free to jump in if I forgot anything. It is a while since I imported my car...

Add all these together and you will have your total cost. Usually if you import through an importer, they will organise everything Japan side for you (you just follow their payment instructions). It will usually take a month or two from the time of purchase for it to arrive in Australia. You will have to organise transport of the vehicle from the wharf to the workshop (if you plan to tow, include that cost too), as well as organising a customs agent (they should be able to recommend one), and organising compliance (they should be able to recommend a good workshop).

When I imported my R32 GTS-T, the cost of the vehicle in Japan (about $3k) was less than half of the total on road cost (about $9k - still a bargain!), so beware that the additional costs can add up very quickly! And that was under the 15yo rule - full compliance will be more expensive.

Edited by Big Rizza