SAU Community

1jz Into A Q45

you think so?

I thought a 1jz is much stronger.

1JZ would likely be stronger (well, it's pretty much unbreakable actually), but the increased cost of swapping to a 1JZ over keeping the VH45 would probably pay for some stronger internals etc (maybe). Plus the VH45 would probably be strong enough for a mild boost (say 6-8psi), and that would still be a killer engine. 500hp maybe? Plus you have 500cc more than the 1JZ which can't hurt low down torque.

Do some research into modifying/ turbo-ing the VH45 before deciding to ditch it. I think you could save some money to get the same performance,

Edited by Big Rizza

Got some VH45 info if you're interested:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VH45 tuning websitehttp://home.iprimus.com.au/promotive/Infin...nfinitihome.htm

This website has a few details of a twin turbo VH45DE in a Nissan Patrol. 1 bar boost gave 550hp. :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also look here for a 720hp VH45DE engine http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=861328

Also looked through www.autospeed.com to find info on the VH45DE. Autospeed is awesome - everyone should subscribe!

Nissan V8s...

Source: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2095/article.html

The current Japanese-market Nissan Cima rear-wheel-drive and President (both top-line luxury saloons) come powered by a VK45DE NEO 4.5-litre V8. Breathing through DOHC, 4-valve heads and with a 10.5:1 compression ratio, the big Nissan eight muscles out the Japanese regulation 206kW at 6000 rpm with 451Nm of torque at 3600 rpm. A direct injection version of the VK45 – the VK45DD NEO – was also produced and is listed with exactly the same power and torque.

Before the release of the new VK45 engine, a VH45DE or VH41DE V8 was used to propel Nissan’s top-line saloons. In its final guise, the DOHC, 32-valve VH45DE used a 10.2:1 compression ratio to help reach an output of 198kW. Peak power arrived at 5600 rpm, while max torque – 394Nm – came at 4000 rpm. A smaller version of the same engine design – the VH41DE – swept 4.1-litres and ran 10.5:1 compression. It culminated with 198kW at 5600 rpm (the same as the VH45) but with ‘just’ 377Nm at 4000 rpm.

Note that the VH-design Nissan V8 was used in the American Indy Car series, where it topped 550kW. It’s very v-e-r-y strong!

Nissan VH45DE V8

Source: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2644/article.html

One of the biggest bangers currently available at the Japanese import wreckers is the Nissan VH45DE – a 4.5 litre V8.

The VH45DE boasts DOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder breathing together with a curious intake manifold that creates the illusion that the engine is designed for transverse mounting – it isn’t. The VH45DE’s compression ratio is 10.2:1 you’ll find a huge 75mm throttle body (which is a hot item in itself). The heads and block are made from alloy while the steel crankshaft is safe to spin to a 6700 cut-out.

The big V8 was reserved for Nissan Japan ’s high-end rear-wheel-drive saloons between 1989 and 1996. In Infiniti Q45 trim, the engine officially makes 206kW at 6000 rpm and 400Nm at 4000 rpm (on premium unleaded fuel). The Nissan President version is rated at 199kW at 5600 rpm and 394Nm at 4000 rpm.

So what’s the mechanical difference between the Q45 and President engine, you ask?

Well, we believe that the Q45-spec engine was fitted with variable inlet cam timing to help make more grunt than the President. And rumour has it that the Q45 engine makes considerably more than the claimed 206kW...

Bob Dunn – the head of Adelaide Japanese Imports - says the VH45DE has recently become quite popular in Australia and availability in Japan is not a problem. He’s seen these engines go into ski boats, Nissan Patrol 4WDs and an old Holden ute - but these are a bulky engine that won’t fit into just anything. Oh, and the VH45DE was fitted with a 4-speed automatic transmission – a manual ‘box was not offered.

A bare VH45DE is currently worth AUD$1850 while an engine package (with loom, ECU and sensors) fetches around AUD$2500. These engines are rarely given a thrashing in Japan and Bob isn’t aware of any reliability issues – keep in mind the VH-series engine was used as the platform in 450 – 500kW Indy cars...

Infiniti Q45

Source: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2492/article.html

Another Japanese VIP car that’s often overlooked is the Nissan-based Infiniti Q45.

Released in Australia in 1993 (about 3 years after its debut in Japan and America) the Infiniti Q45 looks like it should be a bigger and better version of the Lexus LS400. But it never quite managed to achieve that success...

Peep under the bonnet and you’ll see a tremendous example of Nissan engineering – the big VH45DE V8. Displacing 4.5 litres and breathing through DOHC, 4 valve heads, the Infiniti Q45 is officially listed at 198kW at 5600 rpm and 395Nm at 4000 rpm. With monster cylinder ports and a huge throttle body, it’s an engine that aftermarket tuners crave to get their hands on.

Driving through a heavy-duty auto trans and R200 series viscous LSD, the Infiniti is slightly quicker than the Lexus – its 0 – 100 km/h acceleration is around 8 seconds. But the Infiniti wasn’t let down by its engine...

Unfortunately, designers went for a softer-is-better approach for the suspension. "Wallowy" and "imprecise" are two common words applied to the big Nissan. The HICAS rear-wheeel-steer is also said to give a nervous feel when driving at the limit.

Inside, the trim is finished in leather and walnut and is very well equipped – similar to the Lexus. The Infiniti’s exterior styling was improved in the second generation that was delivered to Australia but, still, it looks very dated and emotionless.

Introduced to the Australian market at more than AUD$130,000, the big Nissan was an unequivocal sales flop. Today, you can pick one up from about AUD$16,000... The last of ‘em (through until 1997) fetch closer to 30 grand.

Nissan V8s

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0206/articl...?popularArticle

The Nissan VH45DE and VH41DE motor, as fitted to the luxury saloon Infiniti, are the sole modern Nissan V8s. The VH45 V8 has a swept volume of 4.5 litres and produces a maximum power output of an easy 201kW at 5600rpm. Credited with the same peak power, the smaller VH41 (4.1-litre) version needs to rev to 6400 to match the '45.

Designed as a rear-wheel-drive engine, it is quite similar in specification to Toyota's 4-litre 1UZ-FE Lexus V8, but the VH45 in particular has a fatter torque curve for added flexibility. They are extremely quiet and smooth power plants with the potential for monster horsepower through their multi-valve alloy heads. Unfortunately, we have never seen any of these engines in modified form, but it would be fair to assume 280kW could be reached with simply a good exhaust, up-spec cams, slightly higher compression and a well sorted programmable injection system.

0206_2lo.jpg

Note that a highly modified version of this engine design (pictured) is currently being used in the US Indy Car series, where it pushes out over 550kW!

Edited by Big Rizza

Plus you have 500cc more than the 1JZ which can't hurt low down torque.

A VH45 has 2000cc more than the 1JZ GTE (2.5L TT). I believe you are thinking of the 1UZ FE(4L quad cam v8). :P

EDIT: To answer the original question, either way I can't really see the point. As Big Rizza suggested you should spend the money on the VH45.

Edited by shyster

The VH block will also bore and stroke out to 6.0L, and make a lazy 400hp+ with that displacement before you even start looking at stuff like headwork and cams.

Yes you can fit a 1JZ into a Q45, just like you could fit the twin turbo 3.2L V8 out of an old Maserati 3200GT. If you want displacement, a 7.0L LS2 out of a Corvette Z06 won't be that much longer, and you can get twin turbo kits for them.

With mods to the firewall you can step up to the V10s out of the Gallardo, M5 or Viper, or V12s out of AMGs and BMWs. Why not get the supercharged V12 out of an SL65 that has a Newton kilometre of torque?

The quad turbo W16 out of a Veyron will have the same length as a V8, so why not shoot for a stock 1000hp?

Am I sounding a little stupid in this reply? The way I see it, I'm not being any stupider than the original post in this thread.

I believe you are thinking of the 1UZ FE(4L quad cam v8).  :)

Woops yeah I just assumed he meant a 1UZFE since I figured he would be swapping a V8 for a V8. My bad :lol: :P:) . My opinion still applies to 1JZGTE - keep the VH45DE engine! My bros twin turbo supra ran a 1JZ and that was a little laggy. VH45DETT would be far superior ;) !!!

Or the Veyron W16 like Scathing suggested :)

Woops yeah I just assumed he meant a 1UZFE since I figured he would be swapping a V8 for a V8.  My bad  :lol:  :)  :D .  My opinion still applies to 1JZGTE - keep the VH45DE engine!  My bros twin turbo supra ran a 1JZ and that was a little laggy.  VH45DETT would be far superior  :D !!!

Or the Veyron W16 like Scathing suggested :P

thanks mate.

I want the 1jzGTE because I can't afford 2JZGTE :D

I will read the info you gave me when I have time.

sound very interesting indeed.

First up, why the hell would you put a toymotor into a Nissan? Why not a rb25 or even rb26? I think you're forgetting that the car weighs near 2 tonne, so a 2.5L isnt going to be the best idea. Having said that there is a guy in the US putting an rb25 into a q45, but he's going to be using it for drifting.

Do you own a Q45? Why dont you want to keep the VH45? Nizpro are getting ~1200hp out of them in their speedboat... Not strong enough for you huh? The early VH45s produced around ~230kw and ~450nm torque standard. They're a very under rated motor.

post-4657-1137676485.jpg