SAU Community

Help Im Getting Huge Compressor Surge

LBR33

No shit its not a case of bolting it on and driving away. You really do write some stupid shit man. I read your posts all the time and am constantly shaking my head.

I know many people with GCG turbos as well, and none of them have had problems either, however, i did have a problem

Your the one posting pretty stupid shit... either that or your making yourself look stupid. Take you pick, near enough to the same

Im not being sarcastic at all, i wasnt ever referring to your post. Just because i post after ... wow.. lemme get excited

you couldnt get it to work... thats your own problem in conjunction with your tuner. SK has posted how he gets it too work, like others before him (who dont post on here)

Just because you went through 3 turbos doesnt mean it was GCG'd fault at all.

You can get the wheel specs, you can draw your own conclusions.

You using stock BOV's Paul? :D

GCG S2 high flow (discontinued) and standard computer don't work together, upgrade the ECU.

Some tuning tips;

1. During the boost build rpm, tune it with as much ignition advance as it will take, use extra fuel (richness) to control the detonation.  This ensures that whatever airflow the turbo is producing is ingested by the engine (throttle body size is irrelevant at partial throttle openings).

2. Retard the exhaust camshaft timing, usually around 4 degrees

3. Some mild tuning of the VVT change over point sometimes helps

4. In the surge rpm zone, check the pressure drop from the turbo to the plenum.  It should be almost zero, more than 1 psi is not acceptable.  Look closely at the pipework and the intercooler.

5. In the surge rpm zone, compare the inlet plenum pressure and the exhaust pressure (the lambda sensor point is a good reference).  There should be almost zero difference, more than 1 psi is not acceptable.  Look closely at the dump, cat and exhaust.

The above (with carefull tuning) will eliminate almost all of the compressor surge, maybe even all of it.  Whatever remains you will have to manage via judicious use of the throttle.

Hope that helps

:D cheers :O

PS, this is a unique problem to the GCG S2 (500 bhp) high flow, the S1 (450 bhp) has not had one sinlge problem on the 6 or so cars we have fitted them to.

So if i got manual conversion + powerfc and hand the tuner these tuning tips they should be able to solve the compressor surge

omg, you're running a stock ECU? what a freaken waste... Go and buy an Apexi PowerFC and hand controller for $950, get it tuned and you will be fine.

So many people make the mistake... Get the ECU, fuel pump., exhaust..fmic BEFORE you upgrade the turbo!

The turbo should be the last thing that you increase in size.

omg, you're running a stock ECU? what a freaken waste... Go and buy an Apexi PowerFC and hand controller for $950, get it tuned and you will be fine.

So many people make the mistake... Get the ECU, fuel pump., exhaust..fmic BEFORE you upgrade the turbo!

The turbo should be the last thing that you increase in size.

perhaps u didnt read my first post......R33 gtst s1 auto(so i cant use a powerfc) running 11 psi

fmic, safc, gcg s2 highflow, full zorst, stock bov i also have a walbro fuel pump and nismo reg.

SydKid cheers for tips... much appreciated.. I just need more time and money to work on diagnosis! LOL. It has got to be something dodge with my turbs/wastegate i recokon as it seems to fix itself at higher revs and under full throttle. (well at least i dont notice it).

I have a seconds dog box on zorst (is rather a queiet zorsts) and no cat.. however is 3 inch the whole way... Could this second dog box be restricting the exhaust flow somehow?

Could my airflow sensor maxing out cause this problem?

First thing in morn once car is warmed up i dont notice it -- could this be some sort of heat related problem ie cooling oil and water lines not working correctly?

????? THere is so much that it could be!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers chris..

• 2 weeks later...

Update:My problem was just a hole in the AFM mesh, so we punched it out and now is MUCH better with no sign of compressor surge with huge midrange gains and 17hp extra in the top end

I was loosing power due to the disturbed airflow that was being caused by the hole in the mesh that also why i got the compressor surge. I cant say it will work for you just talk to your local tuner and see what they say.