SAU Community

Drag Strip In Canberra!

Zathris

Didn't Canberra used to have a dragway near the airport?

Anyhow, if they are going to open a venue I'd like to see it as a 1/4 mile (not 1/8 please) track than can run any type of drag event.

MMMM Summernats drags :P

The old dragway was next to the airport, but it was an 1/8 mile instead of a 1/4 mile strip.

It's still there, though now it's used for stuff like engineering tests, brake/acceleration/handling etc

Where is it currently planned to be situated and is 8 million enough to build something like WSID.

I'd like to see it just outside the Prison near Jerra :P

Although it'd be cheaper just to have no traffic lights or speed limit down Northbourne

EDIT: Oooops the link above to the newsletter says Mount Majura is the proposed site.

Edited by Sinista32

WSID cost closer to $14 mill or 24? one or the other, but didnt the government put $8 mil now, another 8 next budget? surely $16 mil's enough to build something that can be improved upon?

Also, word on the street is that some of the "big boys" have said they'd rather come to canberra then syd

Wakefield isn't to far away for Track work.

To which I could retort with "WSID isn't too far away for a quick drag."

Explain to me why it is a tiny town like Goulburn gets a race track while we don't.....oh wait....we're the city of middle aged Public Servants. Can't have the GMC 400 now can we!

Sorry, I'm tired and cranky.

I agree - Canberra will die bcos of the narrow dull view of Canberrans.

We could host all major Australian events in all categories of sport and be the best city in this country. Instead we have boretown.

The Capital - between Sydney and Melbourne, Snow and Surf where in Australia could you find a better city to host events and draw big crowds.

Farkin Floriade - Wooot!! what a blast!

To which I could retort with "WSID isn't too far away for a quick drag."

Explain to me why it is a tiny town like Goulburn gets a race track while we don't.....oh wait....we're the city of middle aged Public Servants.  Can't have the GMC 400 now can we!

Sorry, I'm tired and cranky.

No

we must have a bigger, better Floriade.

Because that's what people want.

mmmmkay?

Edited by Bluprint