SAU Community

Consult Lcd Display

NewKleer

Pete, I'm interested in this project as well as I have a CA18DET and an RB20DET that I'd love to use it with.

Rather than an LCD, I'd rather have individual LED displays for each measurement though, so when you're done I'll probably buy a "kit" (if you sell it unassembled) and modify it to my purposes.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure that AFM voltage is linear (thus %age isnt that useful, and is misleading) and O2 sensor definitely isnt linear. variations exist from car to car, so even if it was worth while to make a version for each diff model skyline (and every other nissan model...), you still will have variations between each car of that model.

i could probably set it up to get the smallest/largest TPS voltage it encounters and then display as a % once youve floored it once (to get the max) or have some manual setup for that (ie it tells u to foot off, then foot flat, then stores that and can work out % from that)

it wont work with CA18 (doesnt support consult). and wont work on splitting up the LCD and somehow making LED displays either as they work entirely differently unfortunately.

Edited by NewKleer

heres the larger of the two 40x2's im looking at

lcd402normal.jpg

000kph 0000rpm 00.0v EC:xxx INJ:00% 00oB

AAC:00 O2:.00v 000oC AFM:0.00V TPS:0.00V

sensors are pretty much same as first, just rearranged. contrast/viewability/response time is a LOT better on this one than the blue one (response time is time pixels take to charge up/die out, which effects how fast u can update screen before blur). the only real downside, assuming i can get it in extended temp and correct viewing angle (optimised for looking from above rather than below) would be the size.

at 182mm (standard 40x2 size), with an enclosure (adding 2mm each side, so 186mm), will be a tad too wide for a lot of DIN slots. so the question would be, how important would it be to be able to fit it in a din slot?

the full profile LCD (this one) would be better in all aspects (backlight brightness, contrast, viewing angle, response time) aside from its size. using a standard size will mean also that other types of lcds are easily interchanged. id also be hesitant to use the low profile LCD due to it being very hard to find and not really as readily available.

I guess if you were using it for testing purposes you could sit it in the dash..

It's obviously difficult with different cars to be able to display a universal stats setup..

quick one - is there any way to cycle the display?

e.g. have one with speed and a bar display for rpm or similar?.. than have the default mode?.. how quick does it refresh - i've mucked around with the conzult software before it was reasonably fast..

main thinking is if it's relatively slim line you could place it in front of the console above the steering wheel with velcro or something if it won't fit in the din..

anyways - looks great.. keep it coming..

well all the core stats will work in pretty much all cars, with the odd car not supporting one here and there (eg s14 i dont think shows ign timing, and N15 didnt support something, forget what). at this stage the GTR/Z32's would miss out on the extra couple of sensors they support, but nearly every other car would support most/all the sensors given here.

im planning for a switch (switch between lcd/usb/serial mode), and 3 buttons on the top - whether i utilise them straight away or leave it for future upgrades to the program on the chip i dont know. but id imagine anything is possible, just other things might be a priority (fault codes, peak values, etc)

the ecu sends data about 10 times a second, but u cant update the display too quickly as the lcd, like normal computer lcds, has a response time, how quick pixels light up/die out, so if u update too quick it will become blurry. about 3-4 times a second would be do-able

thats exactly where i thought it could be put, on the steering column (or perhaps at base of windscreen). ill probably wait and see if i can get a sample of the low profile one, but i guess unless its decently comparable (and not too expensive) then the larger one looks to be the goods.

overall size id imagine would be 182mm wide, 38mm high, and about 30-35mm deep

Edited by NewKleer

yeh it will be backlit - the one in the pic is only getting about a quarter of needed power for backlight (torch was used so i didnt need flash), full backlight will be fine

unfortunately i dont think a31 cefiros support consult (unless u are using a r32 ecu that does)

That's fantastic, Pete!

DIN slot... meh... either in the dash cluster, or I recken this thing could be strapped to the steering-column covers like a Motec display.

diff colour backlights may be a bit tricky due to costs and minimum orders, id assume anything other than the standard would add some cost/delay. might be possible to get different backlights prospectively (ie, get a few different ones in the one order in anticipation that people may want diff colour ones)

lol.. chuckle ^^..

would be good to be able to have a speed/tacho reading in a bar format.. refresh of 25ms aint to bad (4/second) alot of LCD screens are only that fast..

i'm guessing these are EEPROM chips in them are they.. I took a look around a couple of sites.. seems interesting..

whether you use the buttons as a feature to do recall/reset function possibly..

25ms = 40 a second, whereas 250ms = 4. so not quite as fast as an lcd. also, its the ability to read a value at any one moment is one of the other reasons u dont want it updating too fast

eeprom is just memory (not sure what u meant by that). the display needs a microcontroller (program on a chip) to control it all

What about the diagnostic tests? To me that is much more interesting than knowing my fuel consumption or precise AFM voltage, etc. Being able to plug in a small compact unit to run some diagnostics would be great.

thats possible, but a fair bit harder/time consuming to implement (if u mean active tests)

the theory is that if im able to integrate a consult interface into it, then for "1 off" diagnostic things like dropping cylinders, turning fans on/off etc, would be something u use the laptop for. whereas things that are useful in everyday running would be on the device.

id really like to get it to do fault codes though

yeh it will be backlit - the one in the pic is only getting about a quarter of needed power for backlight (torch was used so i didnt need flash), full backlight will be fine

unfortunately i dont think a31 cefiros support consult (unless u are using a r32 ecu that does)

yeh i have r32 motor...might go and check ecu now.

waits with baited breath.... :(