SAU Community

Consult Lcd Display

NewKleer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Add a peak hold funtion (like on his). This makes things so much easier... especially for duty cycle, rpm etc.

- work your TPS sensor out. on impakts tool it seems to know 0 - 100 percent throttle position on every car i've plugged it into.

Features that would make yours far more superiour...

- Reading and clearing of fault codes, Ecu reset. Huge thumbs up.

- 0 - 100kph, 0 - 200kph times etc... also 0-200 & 0-400m times?

- upgradeable. enough said.

I really like yours so far... kind of prefer his screen however.... if his was in an ever so slightly smaller case, it would fit into the ash tray holder.... yours just looks a little strange being so long and only 2 lines...

I hope those comments have helped you :dry:

cheers

thanks for the comments

peak hold - this shouldnt be too difficult.

tps sensor - shouldnt be too hard to do a % thing, maybe as an option as for some diagnostic purposes it helps to know actual voltage?

fault codes - im reasonably confident ill be able to get this done for the final thing.

ecu reset - this is a bit misunderstood - ecu reset is actually only clearing the closed loop learnt data, not all learnt data (i dont actually know what all the values that the ecu learns, but presumably theres more)

upgradable - will definitely be upgradable, just will require a roundtrip being sent back to me (was too hard to put some functionalty in to allow end users to upgrade it themselves, unfortunately).

0-100kmh - possible for the first release, depends on time constraints.

0-400m - possible, but hard to get this accurate. to determine distance, you could determine the time between each jump in velocity (consult only shows every 2 km/h), and if u record the time taken for this, work out the average acceleration, and then the distance. but acceleration isnt linear, and the calculations would, over time, become a bit inaccurate. BUT, its something i want to try later on, and measure it and see how accurate it can get, so its something ill look to do later on

as for the screen, the main thing to consider was mounting position, and the usefulness of them. from an engineering background also, i had the ethical decision as to the configuration that would allow people to mount it somewhere relatively safe. mounting it on the steering column, just below all ur other gauges, wont distract the user too much from watching the road - whereas if it was a size that was too tall for that, but nice to fit in the ash tray or whatever, then you have the problem of people wanting to look at the data having to look down to it.

while it is still a problem that people are looking at a screen at all rather than the road, i thought it was more important to put it somewhere that, if they must look at it, then they still have their eyes on the road. thus the steering column mount biased design took the cake.

Edited by NewKleer

this is very impresive newk. would it be possible to mount it up near the drivers sun visor? so u just look up and see it?

also, im goin to be gettin an pfc with hand controller soon. will your consult lcd display, show info that the hand controller doesnt? ( i dont know exacally wat it is that the controller displays)

its not compatible with any replacement ecu's like powerfc (which has its own diagnostic protocols).

im not sure exactly where u mean in terms of mounting it? under/above the visor? so u see it when its up/down? by far the best place would be on steering column, or on dash perhaps, i havent tried alternate positions

ill add that to the todo list

also a general update, ive sent off pcb's to be manufactured, and finalising changes to enclosure prototype. with any luck ill have both by end of july, and assuming ive got needed parts then and finish the firmware for the device, can start making some.

the current todo list (of what i want to try and get done for final release):

yes:

switchable MPH/F, V/0-100% throttle

clear/read error codes

voltage input reading

peak hold

maybe:

reset learnt data

0-60, 100km/h (store best times also perhaps)

any other suggestions, let me know. ill look back over this thread from start to end when i get a chance, so if its already been mentioned ill consider it

Edited by NewKleer

Congrats on a sweet project there mate, looks a treat. once you have them finished i will more than likely add my name to the buyers list :wub:

Jsut a thought from a designers point of view, if possible reverse the display and put a mirror onto it and have it reflect onto the windscreen similar to the HUD, this is probably the safest method of display from a drivers point of view, i think the focused viewing angle for human eyes is 60 degrees so as long as its within that the driver will not be looking too far out of there viewable range.

Impressive work Peter.

I'll be watching this page for further developments.

Very interested.

Does this unit come with a cable attached? to plug straight into consult port?

making a hud out of it is a bit out there, and would probably easily double the cost of it, assuming i had the time to do it. interesting idea from a safety point of view though

the unit would come with both cables attached and ready to go. it would be as simple as plugging it into consult port and turning ignition on (or the other way around)

both cables?

what's the second cable for ?

i know if i read the entire thread i'd probably know, but i'm lazy.

serial cable for the integrated consult interface. flick the switch on the top to the right (and probably press a couple of buttons) and u can use it like a normal consult interface to hook up a laptop/ppc and do datalogging or whatever else u need to do

serial cable for the integrated consult interface. flick the switch on the top to the right (and probably press a couple of buttons) and u can use it like a normal consult interface to hook up a laptop/ppc and do datalogging or whatever else u need to do

you're a freakin legend !!!

ok, i'm in for one.

prob pick it up too.

so when is mine ready? lol

well definitely put me down for one.

0-100km/h and 0-400metres sounds good too. Hope you can get that incorporated.

I'm up for any software upgrades in the future too.

Are you going to market this thing?

If you need webdesign and branding/logo, get in touch with me.

0-400m is unlikely due to whats stated here

will see how demand goes as to where i sell them, but im not really making any money from them so its more just about when ive got time to make them. will just be selling them to sau/pga members to start with, will then see how popular (or not) they are as to whether ill sell elsewhere

Edited by NewKleer

Economy was one which i thought would be really useful - it shows instant speed per amount of duty cycle (fuel usage), calculated by (speed * 10 / duty cycle), the x10 is to show it more accurately).

high number = more economical. 0 to 999, although if u manage to go over 999 i think itll still show 4 digits, just push everything else down :(

to get 1000, u need to be doing, for example 100km/h at 1% or less injectory duty cycle. idling i think uses a few %, so ud probably need to idle at 300km/h to get close to 1000 :)

its a relative thing, so each number on its own doesnt tell much. it would be useful, for example, to compare going 60km/h up a hill in 4th gear vs 5th gear. you might find that 4th is better (high number) because its using a more efficient part of rev range, whereas 5th would need more throttle at a less efficient part of rev range.

what you use it for is pretty much up to the individual

its a relative thing, so each number on its own doesnt tell much. it would be useful, for example, to compare going 60km/h up a hill in 4th gear vs 5th gear. you might find that 4th is better (high number) because its using a more efficient part of rev range, whereas 5th would need more throttle at a less efficient part of rev range.

Economy? is this equivalent to injector_duty_cycle / speed?

because you could express in litres / kM (instantaneous)...

looks cool, by the way.