SAU Community

Dislodging Oil Filter

Fixxxer

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to help remove my oil filter, it absolutely won't budge... I bent the cr@p out of my oil filter wrench and it didn't budge.

I'm not a fan of punching a hole in it with a screwdriver, because if I still can't get it off I can't drive my car to work (or at all).

Ohh and to all those mechanics, backyard or workshop, the oil filter is not like a bolt, you don't need to cram it on so tight that it welds itself to the block.

My vent for this afternoon.

Fixxxer

Thanks for the info Bl4cK32

I gave up in the end, it still looks like I haven't moved it at all, apart from almost flatening a part of the filter with the wrench from trying so hard.

Not keen on doing the screwdriver thing..... so I just filled it up with new oil and the next time I change oil in 5000km, I'll let my mechanic have a go at removing the filter.

Fixxxer

Yeah, usually they arn't hard at all but I'm positive someone has glued this one on it's that tight.

I've got the right oil filter, just can't get the other one off, hehehe.

Thanks for the info guys, I just hope the bloody thing comes off if I jam a screwdriver into it, I'll probably end up bending my screwdriver :)

Fixxxer

I had a similar problem with mine r32 GTR that I just imported. Had a fair bit of trouble getting it off.

Found that the solution to my problem was a strap type oil filter remover, where the bar is only about 5cm long including the part the strap goes through. It accepts a 1/2" drive, so I used a 1/2" universal joint (bendy adaptor thingy), a couple of extension bars and some one to turn the ratchet while I held the universal joint straight.

Came off dead easy. This is after 3 people had a go at removing it by hand. I practically turned blue in the face trying to remove the filter by hand. This method had it off within 10 seconds :P

I'd never go the screwdriver route either! Not like there was a useful ammount of space to throw a screwdriver around in the 32 GTR either :(

Cheers,

-Shaun