SAU Community

Key Snapped Off!

d-d

Howdy,

Well when i was at the shops nearly two weeks ago now i went to open my boot and the key snapped off in the lock as i turned it!!

Uh-oh!! :D

So my question is, has this happened to anyone else before and how do you suggest i get the rest of the key out of the lock?!

lol i was having the worst time that day, so it was the cherry on the cake. I was not happy - haha. Its a r33 and the boot button inside the car doesn't open the boot at the moment (unsure why), so that poses another hurdle too...

Thanks for any help,

Dave.

possibly a really strong magnet? Like the one off a car speaker or the magnets out of a hard drive. Pretty damn strong, but I dunno if it'll be enough.

Otherwise more drastic action may be required. I dunno if a locksmith can pick it, but i'd bet they've pulled broken bits of key out of locks before. Give a reputable one a call.

Had a similar problem when some little POS (sorry, mother's darling) tried to steal my Z; the Jaycar In-car alarm must have gone off just as he started to insert a key in the ignition. Must have scared the crap out of him, because the key snapped off in the switch. Had to remove the ignition and take it to a locksmith who was able to pull it all apart and retrieve said key.

The boot release probably doesn't work because the "switch" in the boot is set to "valet mode" (prevents the remote opening the boot, but still lets the key open it).

A locksmith might be able to pick the lock. Otherwise, you may need to pull the back seat out to access the latch from inside.

Have fun!

Magnet is unlikely because its not ferrous - looks like brass from the broken edges of my key which is ready to break as well.

Used it in the boot as well and felt it bend when turning it.

I use it VERY carefully at moment - where can I get a new one BEFORE it breaks??

Just go to a local key cutter (locksmith or one of those bootmaker/engraver shops) and get another one cut. trust me, its a hassle otherwise!!!

As with the magnet, yeah i was sure if the key was magnetic or not. Only one way to find out i say!! Remember there are another 2 metals that are non-ferrous that are still magnetic :P Nickel and cobalt. Maybe the key has enough of that in it to stick to my big mother magnet!!

yikes... my other suggestion was removing the back seat, as someone said above.

There is a middle section of steel behind the seat that can be unbolted. You prolly can't climb through, but you might be able to get a coat-hanger onto the boot latch or something.

Best bet is probably with the locksmith... they usually have fine tweezer-like things that can go in and pull the key out.

Hmmm... That's really scary....runs off to check key for cracks now. phew... anyways,

You may be able to remove the key. Try and get a few straightened paper clips and try and grab one of the edges of the key. I don't know if this is possible or not, but it might be owrth a try.

If not, then just remove the back seats, the take out the metal plate. This will allow you access to the boot. If you have a kid, they'll come in handy. Push them through the little hole and get them to flick the switch so you can open the boot via the lever. Removing the lock barrel is easy. then you can take it to the locksmith...

PS: i've heard of broken locks and stuff like that so many times on sau, that I reckon it's pretty important to hvae the lever working. When you get it opening again, flick the switch asap.

poor bastard, good luck with it :wacko:

Heh', thanks :ban:

Yeah ill try those options listed above.

Thanks for the kid idea too, i'd doubt id be able to fit through. Damn skylines only made for lil' japanese people :lol:

I'll let you know what happens, and hopefully the easiest way to fix the problem if anyone else is unlucky enough to have this happen too! I guess you could say im lucky as it didnt snap off in the ignition at least!!

-Dave.

My key snapped off in the ignition. i thought i was farked, but i pushed the spare key into the barrel iand it started.

I dunno where the other half of the key ended up, but its still in there. I have been driving it for like 6 months now..no probs yet....

*mental note...get spare key cut* :ban:

yeah the boot relese thing doesnt work because on the back of the boot relese in the boot u can switch it up or down to make it work or to prevent it from being able to open from in the car....

try leaving the cover of the key hole open and redlining?? if u car has the balls it will spit the key out :P