SAU Community

hey guys, the plan in a nutshell:

'bolt-on' a turbo to stock RB25DE engine - run about 5-7 PSI for now

Plan:

Buy exhaust manifold, turbo and replace current manifold

It should run with a boost controller and FMIC

Problem:

I need to feed the oil/water lines to/from the turbo - rather than getting holes tapped into the engine block etc the plan is to pick up the lines from other locations under the bonnet. I've had a look and can't find any info on exactly where would be suitable places to tap into the oil/water lines with success.

Someone mentioned ages ago that some Greedy/Trust bolt on packages took the oil/water from elsewhere - yet I can't find any info online etc on how exactly they do it.

Thanks guys

BTW: if anyone can see any problems with the plan let me know and we can chat about it :rolleyes:

Edited by gatty

Isn't it in the how to turbo your N/A thead?

If not, I'm interested too.

And I was wondering...

How much on average would it cost to simply get the rb25det engine swap? Would anything else need to be included?

If someone could write up a guide for this, whether it be half cuts, engines what ever, I and alot of other would greatly appreciate it :rolleyes:

if you doa reply you will see that buying a front cut then doing a conversion is the best option to turbo your NA, but I am doing it on a very tight budget - and only want to run 5-7 PSI - nothing too crazy yet

rather then trying to mod SAU hows about you leave that to the mods :)

users such as DAN666 etc frequent this forum, and user such as dan have lots of experiance with this - the motor is also a RB25DE - and the turbo section is full of "i am running 30PSI why is my fuel cutting out"

there have been similar threads here ages ago

im not trying to be a prick, its just that putting it in the turbo forum it could lead to more and better replies from people that have done it

but yes u r right about dan666 and the likes of him, good help he is

(ohh i think a bigger fuel pump and lowering the boost would probably help lol :);) )

no need for FMIC with 5psi, in fact with a FMIC the throttle response will be worse, use the stocker SMIC or don't use any at all. a FMIC *will* make it respond worse and add more throttle lag. The stock ecu can't see boost as it has no map sensor, the stock map sensor only feeds the stock boost gauge so it will be OK ish with say 5psi.

you must check your AFR's and make sure the tune is safe and have a competent tuner / mechanic and not just some rookie and you bolt shit on and hope for the best. be very careful and it should be ok. fuel pump may need to be upgraded. my gtst 33 is on ebay for $15 if u want it

you do realise however it would be far more sensisble to sell your car and buy a gtst however? much more resale value, all the stock parts work out of the box and there are no unknowns, plus you can change to a series 2 even if you like

also what are you basing injectors wont be needed comment off? what size are n/a injectors? gtst ones are 370cc so youll need to check in a fuel capacity calculator to see if the stock ones are ok, i would imagine at 5psi it should be. not sure how the stock ecu will handle the extra airflow coming in, it may have some cut protection like the gtst ecu, but you shouldnt hitting it on 5psi.

note 5psi is really jack all, but will go quiet nicely on the rb25de as it will run different compresion

i dont believe that to be the case at all for the r33. the er34 ecu has lots more proteciotn and feature built in that the ecr33 ecu doesnt have.

i think it should fine, again ill resay it

the ecr33 ecu does not know what pressure is in the manifold.

all it can see is the airflow meter and nothing else.

no boost pressure, no map sensor, no manifold pressure

I did this conversion 7-8 months ago now.

you will probably have to run a gtst ecu, possibly get bigger injectors (probably more for safety sake.. u dont want to be boosting and its not getting enough fuel, causing knocking or somethin or other, cause BYE BYE engine real quick that starts happening!)

paulr33, im running an FMIC.. (and quite a large one at that)

and the throttle response is quite fine, I pretty much have boost instantly due to the high compression cams etc that are on the car.

He shouldnt have any lag as such as because of the high compression, we have more torque, and also a different torque curve than a turbo.

I know with my car (to me) i cant even feel when the boost is coming on at all, its VERY responsive.

OK take the oil feed from the oil pressure location by fitting a T-piece, run the return into your sump (take it off to fit a return connection for a hose through the side wall) The water feed can come from your heater hoses system (ie feed and return for the heater core)

Illusive - Can't remember if you told me or not, but are you still using the stock N/A injectors? They're only 270cc and the fuel pressure behind them isn't enough to keep up with the boost, when my car first had the turbo put on and we were transporting it with the N/A inejctors and pump fitted, it would attempt to stall if I was a bit happy with my right foot.

Once the 386cc injectors from a GTT were fitted it was fine, except for overfuelling, which the e-manage sorted out.

The N/A computer doesn't actually freak out because of the boost, it just see's a large number coming from the AFM tries to compensate but just doesn't have the supporting systems = shits itself. I never actually got it to fully stall though.

Have you got details and pics of your setup?