SAU Community

R32 Castor Question

right, so in my understanding, more castor is sposed to make your steering wheel self correct faster right?

i have an R32 with adjustable castor rods and adjustable upper arms and with these i have gotten 11 degrees castor compared to the stock 7 degrees. i did have it at 16.5 deg castor for a little bit when i put my upper arms in the wrong way and this made the wheel come back really fast in reverse, but still the same as 11deg goin forwards. also on 16.5 deg castor the steering would get really heavy after stuff got a bit hotter so i think it was puttin a lot of stress on the steering.

could the powersteering pump have something to do with my my wheel comes back slow?

has anyone else had this problem?

woah . strange post ..

well the thing with the R32's is that it runs hyrdrolic hicas on the rear wheels..

perhaps he is suggesting remove the HICAS and use the hydrolic lines that the hicas uses to run a cooler for the power steering..

just my guess from that post ... dont know if that would rectify your issue

More castor makes the steering heavier, or seen another way makes the power steering pump work harder - hence the heat build up. 16 degrees is a massive amount of castor so be careful.

Disabling the HICAS at the rear leaves the oil cooler circuit in place (There is a long post on the just recently) and will let your system run cooler. Just keep in mind the temperatures are mostly the result of the system being asked to do something unnatural....

yeah, i only ran 16.5 for a little bit cos i put my adjustable upper arms in the wrong way... <_< and resulted in LOTS of camber

runnin 11 degrees now and steering response is poor, dont like it one bit

11 degrees should b awesome dude.....i was running 9 in my 32 and 2 degrees front camber and my steering was amazing. Get rid of ur hicas and put a lock bar on, that may help maintain more fluid into ur power steering rack. have u checked ur fluid lately

yeah, steering is a bit down, gotta top it up

would it affect it if theres air in the system? is it likely there could be air in the system?

and if there is, how do i bleed it?

hahaha

nah, i think ill leave that

my speedo did stop workin for a while, so i assume this wouldve produced the same results...

anyway, the steering would be normal for a while, but then after a while of driving, the hicas light would come on and steering would become heavy, but would self correct REALLY fast, and that was with stock 7deg castor.

i would love my steering to be like this, except for the heavyness thing, it was quite heavy