SAU Community

Boost Gauges

dezz

Hey guys

I've got my gauges sitting in my room waiting to be installed, but i'm still deciding where and how i want to mount them.

at the moment i've got a dual gauge pillar mount...with a boost and oil pressure gauge.

changed my mind and decided i don't want to drill into the pillar to mount it and do the wiring etc....

So i'm thinking i'll sell the oil pressure gauge and the dual pillar mount (both brand new never been used) and either buy a single mount for the pillar, or the other option (which is what this thread is for) is to mount the boost gauge on top of the dash, in the corner of the windscreen....

Can you guys post up some pics of your boost gauge installs please....I want to see what kind of pods etc you've put them in, and how you've done your wiring/hoses etc...

thanks for the pics mate

i know its not a life changing decision but im still undecided:P

i love the look of the pillar mounts...they look so factory when done properly...but at the same time i dont want to drill into it...maybe there's a way i can have a pillar mount without drilling, ill just have to figure out a way....otherwise ill mount it on top of the dash in a gauge cup....or maybe i could just buy a spare a pillar garnish to put on if i ever change my mind ....hmm

im pretty sure so long as its not above the height of the steering wheel its legal.. that means on the dash in the corner is fine.... and pillar mounts are illegal full stop, thats because it wud be hard to mount them low enough!!!

i was told this by a cop so i dunno if this is true or not... mine is a single pillar mount dezz, looks nice but i wudnt mind a double.... u only need a tiny hole to fit the diring and then 2 holes for the screws to secure the mount...

on 200sx's u can buy a whole pillar that comes with the mount as one piece, does anyone know if they make these for skylines???? if so where can i get one???? i dont like the screws showing on my pillar mount either..... wud look much better as a single unit..

sup guys. if i remember correctly, you can have a pillar mount gauge as long as it does not get in the way of the veiw of the windscreen. if that makes sense. i would check on vicroads and find the legal modifications list thing... but its hidden away a bit... (obviously this is for you dezz cos your from vic it seems). so you will have to take a search.

cheers. james.

im pretty sure so long as its not above the height of the steering wheel its legal.. that means on the dash in the corner is fine.... and pillar mounts are illegal full stop, thats because it wud be hard to mount them low enough!!!

i was told this by a cop so i dunno if this is true or not... mine is a single pillar mount dezz, looks nice but i wudnt mind a double.... u only need a tiny hole to fit the diring and then 2 holes for the screws to secure the mount...

on 200sx's u can buy a whole pillar that comes with the mount as one piece, does anyone know if they make these for skylines???? if so where can i get one???? i dont like the screws showing on my pillar mount either..... wud look much better as a single unit..

Well the one I have on has caps covering the screws so its not really visible unless you look closely. Plus this Autometer range was designed to blend in R33 series interiors so they wont stand out once installed

If you want to install it without any damage or drilling... use the "wedge" formula ;)

Look in the DIY thread for my write up... I've moved it down further a bit since then and used a thicker foam, it's now solid as a rock as the foam actually grips onto the dash trim.