SAU Community

32 Gtr Gearbox

T04GTR

hi all. i just installed a new/secondhand gearbox in my gtr and i think its a os-cross mission one.

1st goes to 80kph!! clutch is not happy jan :lol: 2nd,3rd,4th all nice and close. 5th is normal i think. posibly slightly shorter.??

the first 3 gears make a nice whine sound. ive looked at the countershaft and there is no markings on it. i didnt check the input shaft but.

the only diferance i can see is on the countershaft the "machining" is nice and smooth and uniform, the 1st,2nd selector fork is abit narrower and diferand shaped.

anyone able to give me an indication what ive got??

ps.. what revs in 5th is 100kph for the stock one compared to the os one??

cheeres dave :lol: :lol:

hi all. i just installed a new/secondhand gearbox in my gtr and i think its a os-cross mission one.

1st goes to 80kph!! clutch is not happy jan :lol:  2nd,3rd,4th all nice and close. 5th is normal i think. posibly slightly shorter.??

the first 3 gears make a nice whine sound. ive looked at the countershaft and there is no markings on it. i didnt check the input shaft but.

the only diferance i can see is on the countershaft the "machining" is nice and smooth and uniform, the 1st,2nd selector fork is abit narrower and diferand shaped.

anyone able to give me an indication what ive got??

ps.. what revs in 5th is 100kph for the stock one compared to the os one??

cheeres dave :lol:  :lol:

Dave OS giken cross-mission boxes don't whine...or shouldn't. As they are a helical design synchromesh arrangement. You can't really tell with 5th either as the kits can come in 3 gear sets or 5 gear sets. The gears themselves have chunkier looking teeth (less of them with bigger cross section) and the countershaft has a smooth machining in between gears and shouls have OS giken laser etched on it. If its a full box you should see about 300rpm more at cruising speed 110 kph in 5th. Sounds like a OS box except the whine concerns me...you can't tell audibly the difference between ours and a stocker.

Edited by DiRTgarage

cool. thanks. buy whine i mean only slightly. not like a straight cut one.

looks like il get oily again. i should of checked it more carefuly before i filled it with redline oil. :P

what other peaple make helical syncromesh gear sets in japan?

cheeres

perhaps someone slapped it togeter without doing all the gear heights lol.

cool. thanks.  buy whine i mean only slightly. not like a straight cut one.

looks like il get oily again. i should of checked it more carefuly before i filled it with redline oil. :P

what other peaple make helical syncromesh gear sets in japan?

cheeres

I dont' recommend redline oil for synchro boxes.....either do redline

The 1st 4 gears in my rexies box r ppg helicaly cut with syncromesh, and it makes a "quiet" whine, so it may be possible u have some sort of aftermarket gearset.

its definatly not standard. heaps better and there is the usual gear noise(whine).

helicly cut. gears look chunkier. not by much. but noticable.(with a torch threw the drain plug)

1st is very tall. 2nd 3rd 4th nice and close. 5th seems normal.

the synchro selecter looks differant from the stock one. chunkier looking but not as thick.