SAU Community

Run Intake And Pod Or Mesh Turbo?

DRFT 14

I did a search but couldnt find info directly relating to this (probably because most people here run a PFC and therefore need to run an intake pipe and pod to accomodate the AFM). Im going to be running a LinkPlus and a large T4 sized compressor on a top mount manifold. Im debating whether or not to spend the extra cash and get a custom intake pipe made up and fit my HKS filter or simply leave the turbo without an air feed and mesh the air intake to protect the compressor wheel.

Most Japanese drag and Drift cars ive seen dont run pod/panel filters and simply leave their turbo's naked. I want to do this aswell for the sake of cost reduction expect 'hose-clamp' some mesh to protect the comp wheel.

Is this a good option or shall I get my HKS mushroom filter on there?

Edited by DRFT 14

What about routing a pipe from the front bumper and into the engine bay and sitting it close to the turbo? Wouldnt that be a better option? Its seems aparent that a 'naked' compressor would suck air in a lot more freely as opposed to sucking through a filter. Wouldnt this alone make the compressor wheel spin alot faster and earlier and therefore reducing turbo lag and increasing power?

Sydneykid, im in NZ :P

Edited by DRFT 14

So what your saying is, even though I live in a generally dust/sand free place like Auckland City (or any such place), running a meshed turbo will cause damage to the compressor? Im not sure to be honest. It seems to me that unless im using the car as an offroader (which im not :P), then the turbo should be pretty safe?

Edited by DRFT 14

"pretty safe" to me is not GOOD enough IMO,

Filter is for peace of MIND, and wont be much diffrent in performance wise,

If u be able to make CAI, u only draw cool air in, its way better than being nake and sucking hot air from the engine.

or rain can easily get washed over the engine if you have a small gap in the bonnet..

or even one dusty road.. or just dust in the air generally..

big risk to be taking if you've obviously spent some money on the engine setup..

I always like going back to the MINES GTR thing.

ridiculously fast, has stock air box with custom intake.

so it uses a panel filter of all things..

and I think it still has stock intake pipe rom Air box to turbos too.

So why isn't it good enough for you?

So what your saying is, even though I live in a generally dust/sand free place like Auckland City (or any such place), running a meshed turbo will cause damage to the compressor? Im not sure to be honest. It seems to me that unless im using the car as an offroader (which im not :wub:), then the turbo should be pretty safe?

My car only ever gets driven in the city, You should see all the crap on the filter! I hate to think of all that junk in my bores