SAU Community

Effectiveness Of A Safc

nuffsaid

Hi all

Looking at getting an Apexi SAFC to improve fueling and hence fuel economy?

My GTT is rather stock except for a turbo back, and would like to get some extra kms or power out of the thing.

No plans for high boost, 10psi would be my maximum. No plans for huge mods (not even a FMIC) so no real point getting an expensive PFC.

With a stock setup, and if I keep the boost the same, will I see any gain in either power or fuel economy?

Or does this thing only really apply for a higher boost setup? ie. at 10psi will it be worthwhile?

If anyone has ever used a SAFC on their car, let me know your experience and what you guys think of it.

Thanks

you wont get much better fuel economy.

while off boost and in closed loop mode, your A:F ratio's are probably close as possible to 14:1.

when you get on the gas, then it gets richer and richer.

so in standard form it might get to about 10:1.

an SAFC or any air flow meter signal bender for that matter, will only make an adjustment at full throttle type position.

so you can adjust that 10:1 to about 12:1.

pick up a hand full of KW's while your at it and the the car will use less fuel (JUST) when it is on full throttle.

I doubt you will actually save any money though, considering the car will have more power and be more fun to drive, you will be up it more often.

I had an SAFC on my S14.

it gained about 11rwkw on the same boost just by getting the mixtures to 12:1.

fuel consumption was still the same.

yeah had one on my GTT as well... not bad for tuning purposes and stuff but trust me once u get it u'll be like deng shudve just saved da $$ n got a power fc... so yeh my suggestion wud b hold off till u decide on a power fc

H

if you are not going to mod the car i wouldnt worry about it. upping the boost a bit might cause it to run a little richer though. I guess easiest thing is do the mods that you want chuck it on the dyno and see what the afr's are like. If they are really rich then buy one if not dont worry.

well I pulled 230rwkw out of my R33 witha safc2 and now I am after new kw target.

A very good unit and easy to wire into the car. well my cars fuel usage was the same as before but got a heap more power out of her.

selling my SAFC2 very soon so if interested drop me a PM mate!

you wont get much better fuel economy.

while off boost and in closed loop mode, your A:F ratio's are probably close as possible to 14:1.

when you get on the gas, then it gets richer and richer.

so in standard form it might get to about 10:1.

an SAFC or any air flow meter signal bender for that matter, will only make an adjustment at full throttle type position.

so you can adjust that 10:1 to about 12:1.

pick up a hand full of KW's while your at it and the the car will use less fuel (JUST) when it is on full throttle.

I doubt you will actually save any money though, considering the car will have more power and be more fun to drive, you will be up it more often.

I had an SAFC on my S14.

it gained about 11rwkw on the same boost just by getting the mixtures to 12:1.

fuel consumption was still the same.

Actually the SAFC has a high and low throttle map so the low throttle map can be tuned for max economy while the high throttle map can be tuned for power

I love my SAFC in my automatic 4wd Stagea.... plus have it tuned with a duel-stage EBC (10/12psi) and a SITC.

Had the SAFC tuned as a standalone unit at 10psi and had 140awkw with cat-back exhaust and stock R34 GTT intercooler (and with a new O2 sensor made an extra 150kms per tank)..... added the SITC, dump pipe and fmic and now have 160awk at 12psi still getting 400kms per tank before reserve (was 250kms originally).

If youve got an auto Id highly recommend it. But Id also recommend grabbing a SITC as well for the ignition timing alterations, as well as the air/fuel that the SAFC helps you tune.......

With my combo Id expect over 200awkw with a highflow turbo at mild boost.

EBAY!!! You can find everything on ebay. Search via worldwide (Super ITC, SITC, etc) - they come up fairly regularly, but I was lucky enough to find a BRAND NEW IN BOX unit!!

And only paid $220US for it as well including shipping from USA to Adelaide, whereas 2ndhand units sell for near the same price.

Now trying to save for a hiflow with GT30 internals..... but havent found one on ebay as yet, lol

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Definately a lot to read about and learn.

Obviously different things work for R32, 33 34 etc.

I have an R34 GTT 4 door. Has anyone had much experience in what works here?

What gadgets are best fit for better performance and consumption from airflow to boost controllers etc.. or all in one units?

Cheers,

Paul.