SAU Community

Rb26 Single Turbo Manifold Where

jtur32

hi guys where can i find a single turbo manifold to suit a rb26 gt 30/40 flange [t3] prefer steam pipe must be top quality i have looked on the forums but cant find anything promising im in tas bye the way so its hard to find anything for anything if u know what i mean thanks for any help

yes it flex's.

but it does not

flexi's too much

The main reason for warping of the manifolds, expecially high mounts in stainless is because people dont support the weight of exhaust system, and poor manifold design without re-inforcement

I wonder if google will tell you that :P

:P

stainless does flex

go google

or ask any metal fabricator.

Stainless happens to have a greater rate of thermal expansion then mild steel. Thats part of the reason when you are welding it, if you dont know what you are doing, or dont approach it in a sensible manner it pulls all over the place.

I wouldnt even consider making a manifold out of 4mm pipe. It would weigh way too much. There is no reason why you need 4mm in wall thickness...there is jack all pressure, its purely a heat thing., and the mechanical loads on the manifold when glowing red hot.

So going crazy with wall thickness is a poor way to get a strong rigid manifold. Makes much more sense to gusset the manifolod and support the turbo.. Make sure your front pipe isnt hanging lose, and is supported off the gearbox.

Another problem with going 4mm wall thickness is the difficulty of getting the internal weld bead/penetration on the money. It can be done, but at 4mm you will have to do a root run then another pass etc. Anbd when doing complicate dcollector welds with such a wall thickness its goign to be difficult to get the fit right...so need to make up voids with weld metal, which promotes an inconsistant ID surface which needs cleaning up with a burr etc etc

About 2.4mm is about as heavy a wall as i would consider.

That all said a 4mm thk manifold will probably work great but its a bit overkill...and another thing to consider is that when talking pipe, the thicker the wall thickness the smaller the ID as the OD is fixed. So say 4mm wt pipe will have a smaller internal diameter then 2mm wall thickness...may not be a problem but another thing to consider.

yes it flex's.

but it does not

flexi's too much

The main reason for warping of the manifolds, expecially high mounts in stainless is because people dont support the weight of exhaust system, and poor manifold design without re-inforcement

I wonder if google will tell you that :P

:P

If you copy the way the F1 lads did it in the turbo era, with a proper, rose jointed support to take the weight of the turbo off the manifold, and still allow movement from expansion and contraction, it should help

post-12883-1140124666.jpg