SAU Community

Dam Aircon Clutch Keeps Blowin Fuses!

GTRNUR

Howdee everyone,

My aircon clutch keeps blowing the fuses. I'm not sure why either. It might be that too small a fuse is installed. I have no idea what the correct size fuse is for the clutch...?

Also, it would appear that some amater auto elecky has been messing with the system because the relay that normally fires the clutch isn't firing either.

I have tested the relay, no problems.

I have tested the clutch by hard wiring it to power, no problems, but it does draw some pretty heavy current. Probably about 12 amps at a guess.

I have measured power at the relay box on the relay coil side and its ok, but when the aircon switches on, the computer/climate control or whatever that switches the relay isn't turning on the relay. The volts on the -ve side of the relay coil don't drop to 0v, so the relay doesn't switch.

Is it the factory EFI ECU that controls the aircon, or is it the climate control box that directly fires the relay..?

Cheers,

Ian

That was the first thing I checked... its definatly the air con clutch drawing too much current blowing the air con clutch fuse. And the signal that comes from the ECU to control the compressor appears to be rooted.

I'm going to test fire the relay from under the dash on the ecu signal out cable tonight. If the relay works then it means the output on the factory ecu has been blown up. No big deal though because ill be controlling the aircon compressor from the Wolf ecu soon.

• 1 month later...

Sorry should have posted back on this... Problem solved...

It turned out to be the clutch. I bought a whole compressor off ebay for $150, and after much bitching and moaning managed to replace the clutch without removing the compressor from the car. Over an hour on one circlip! But after a re-gas it all started working fine.

10 Amp fuse and she's fine.

I was told by the aircon guy that this can be a common thing... Don't know nor care about it now tho cause i'm chillin' out in my skyline now!