SAU Community

Japan Resident Headcount?

Rezz

Everytime I come on here (and since I left Japan :) ) it seems that theres a new SAU-J member coming in here and posting... so J-residents, if you don't mind, can we do a headcount and see just how many people are actually posting from Japan right now?

Like I say, I'm not there now, but my in-laws are! (thank god) :lol:

Oh, and when you post, can you state your employment, how long you've been in Japan and how long you intend to stay?

Cheers :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wohoo, im first.

I have been living here in Yamanashi, between Mt Fuji and Tokyo, for 2 years teaching English (unfortunately). This coming school year will be my last year of teaching, as I'm then off to language school to polish up the Japanese. From there, a proper job! So I'll probably spend another 4 years here, 1 teaching, 1 studying and 2 working.

Why I came? (and on this I'd like to hear everyone's reason) I studied electronic engineering at uni and love Japanese cars (a given for being a member on this forum), so with Sony, Nissan and the like begging, I came exploring.

Dropped everything in Australia and came to Tokyo about 10 months ago. Now working in IT for the Swiss Bank.

Came here cause in Aus the money wasn`t comming to me, so I decided to go to the money. Also, had the interest in Japanese cars, studied some Japanese at Uni, etc etc.

Don`t know how much longer I will be here. Job is really good...prob another 1-2 years more max though. Miss clean air, family and my S15 way too much.

rapidly coming up on the four year mark. Spent the first 3 years on sadogashima, off the coast of niigata. Now in kobe (down near the beach at suma).

I used to be an ALT, now I'm an LT. I make more money but actually have to work like a dog now. Also, started my dip. ed this week.

my wife has a 'real' teaching job (she's a math teacher in an international school) and makes 'real' money - so that's the reason while we are still here. I think we'll be here for at least another 1.5 years.

well according to the government and the tax department I am a non-permanent resident. :) Ive been here for 2 years.

I work full time in 2 elementary schools and in 1 junior high and then in the evenings I work for a terrible private english school.

I came to Japan because I wanted to learn Japanese and because I became interested in the culture from 2 previous trips.

I think I might be here for maybe another year then I have to come back and find a career so my fiance can prepare for the move.

Sorry to butt in ( thanks for the relpies so far :) ) just wanted to say congrats Andrew I didn't know you got engaged...

I live in Osaka, Umeda believe it or not. Yes its busy but very "convenient" have been here for 2 years. started at nova (hated it but mainly the company, students and some co workers were cool)worked in umeda so 5 minutes walk to work.

Quit and started work in a JHS. finish my contract in late march and its time to go.

Came to japan to do something different before getting trapped in career/mortgage or simular pitfalls.

Also wanted to do importing and did/doing a little but the 15 year rule kinda screwed my plans.

Doing a little travel and then heading to perth with my girlfriend to continue my career as a geologist. and get away from polution, excessive concret and teaching.

I have no idea what I am doing here in Osaka.

Trying to learn to drift, teaching kid and other junk

I really don't know. The only thing I know is that Australia has no real attraction, Japan has no real future and American would be great if it wasn't for all the Americans. Difficult stuff.

Sorry to butt in ( thanks for the relpies so far  ) just wanted to say congrats Andrew I didn't know you got engaged...
thanks mate its a long road ahead.. hence working 66 hour weeks.
started at nova (hated it but mainly the company, students and some co workers were cool)

yep i had to recently to write a letter and sign it saying i would come to work more often and show proof of my absences ... 80% attendance.. ;)

ok so the count thus far is 6ちょい

Edited by akeenan

Yeah Im here.

In Osaka.

been here for 2.5 years

working with Nova. Hate them but 20 hour weeks with Sat,Sun off with an hourly rate that is just too good to leave (considering I usually only work 2.5-3 hours of my 4 hour shift LOL) although Im starting to look for other work now.

I dont know how long Ill be here. I really need to learn Japanese and find real work. Although Australia isnt looking very promising for me so I may be here for a long time, then again I might go postal and head home sooner than expected.

I came because I like to drift. So I got a car as soon as I got here and that is what I have been doing since. Drifting makes me happy.

I am living in Nagoya. I have been here for about 18 months.

I work as a preschool teacher at a small International School. I came to Japan because of the lack of teaching jobs in QLD and to try something new and different. Was originally going to apply for JET with my friend but was too slow. Much happier to be working where I am now.

My contract finishes in Sept and will go home this time. Too hard to be away from my bf for more then 2 years!

another from Osaka, getting close to the 4.5 year mark which is scary when you add it all up. Teaching english of course, ended up here totally by luck after staying abit longer than my appointed stopover. originally had ideas of finding construction work to get by on.. hmm.

I wont be making the 5year mark... time to go... soon

• 2 weeks later...