SAU Community

Turbo R34 Gt-t -> N/a Conversion?

x-hobo

Firstly, I apologise for asking these questions :) But I am curious, so here goes:

How much work would be involved in removing the turbo from an r34 GT-T in order to run N/A? Would it require new ECU, etc etc, or is it as simple as removing the turbo itself? Would there be any difference between doing it in an auto or manual? And of course, once it's out, would it be a big job getting it back in?

Cheers!

P plater trying to circumvent the restrictions in his state? :)

you could just make the wastegate actuator stay open all the time? It'd give you an N/A sorta pressure.

Although I think you just wanna unbolt the whole turbo.

Cheaper and easier to sell car and buy an NA, given current prices.

i don't know that that would get u by legally anyway as i've heard its all about power that the car makes stock. ie it would still be a gtt which would be illegal for u to drive.

Same as if u buy a car that is under the power to weight threshold and mod it it doesn't matter cause they go by factory specs.

Not positive about this but its something to consider.

like funky said, buy an NA, so much less hassle.

yes the power to weight rules are based on car factory weight, so it would still be illegal to drive with the turbocharger removed, failed or broken/mashed open wastegate. having said that you could simply swap the manifolds over and drive in N/A mode. the throttle response will suck due to the different compression and it will lack zest but will certainlty work.

P plater trying to circumvent the restrictions in his state? ;)

Give this man a cookie! Bang on.

Although I think you just wanna unbolt the whole turbo.

That's what I was thinking - but how much would be involved in that?

i don't know that that would get u by legally anyway as i've heard its all about power that the car makes stock. ie it would still be a gtt which would be illegal for u to drive.

Same as if u buy a car that is under the power to weight threshold and mod it it doesn't matter cause they go by factory specs.

Not positive about this but its something to consider.

like funky said, buy an NA, so much less hassle.

Nah, I read on the vicroads website (not sure what jurisdiction you were referring to) that it's not based on stock, if you have any mods you're supposed to have an engineer's certificate showing that it doesn't violate the restrictions.

Reason is, I only have 7 or 8 months left on my P's, and I don't wanna sit here while my current car devalues when I could be getting some skyline action!

Like I said, though, I realise it's probably a stupid idea.

If you remove the turbo, wouldnt you be driving a modified vehicle, which is also not allowed?

Hadn't read that one - but I must say that I reckon at least 30% of P-platers are driving cars with at least a modded exhaust. Doesn't necessarily make it allowed, though...

Oh well, guess I'll have to keep my pants on for the time being - I was just hoping it might be as simple as bolt-off and bolt-on. Thanks for the help guys!

couldnt it be posible to have the thing engineer sorta saying it makes X amount of power and weighs X amount therefore under the power to weight laws? You would have to get it OK'ed thru Vicroads or whoever in case you get pulled over too...

A mate owns a VS V8 Exec. He wasnt worried about it because he had a letter saying it was under the power to weight ratio... He got pulled over and the letter was from... Ron Poyser holden :P .... got done for being 2-3kw over :D . the cop wasnt impressed :D

couldnt it be posible to have the thing engineer sorta saying it makes X amount of power and weighs X amount therefore under the power to weight laws? You would have to get it OK'ed thru Vicroads or whoever in case you get pulled over too...

Well that was my idea - I wanted to de-turbo and get an engineering certificate saying it was below the required ratio; from what I read that would be ok. Just wondering if the switch to N/A was a realistic option.

Removing the turbo wont make it legal. And an Engineers does not cover that at all.

Fact of the matter is, the car was Turbo from the factory.

You take it off, your altering the emissions which is illegal.

If your worried about legalities, dont drive it for 8 more months.

Simple as that really.

Engineers does not cover EPA emission laws. Thats a $3000 test.

Hardly worth it and your more than likely to fail.

:D

Removing the turbo wont make it legal. And an Engineers does not cover that at all.

Fact of the matter is, the car was Turbo from the factory.

You take it off, your altering the emissions which is illegal.

If your worried about legalities, dont drive it for 8 more months.

Simple as that really.

Engineers does not cover EPA emission laws. Thats a $3000 test.

Hardly worth it and your more than likely to fail.

:)

Yep, so my initial suspicions were right - stupid idea. Oh well, you never know if you don't ask... Cheers.