SAU Community

Broken Exhaust Stud.... :(

GTRNUR

Hi everyone,

When checking out where the exhaust bolts are that I need to unbolt to change to my new high mount header I noticed that one of the studs was loose. So I tried to tighten it with my fingers but the dam thing came out in my hand. I figure someone had use a breaker bar to do up the head studs and had broken the stud off in the head.

Its the most rear located stud of them all. I might be able to get a drill in there if I remove the ABS gizmo, but even then its going to be a tight fit.

So my latest question is.... should I just buy a head gasket and take the head off to fix this stud issue? or should I try and fix it in the car and risk drilling the stud(possibly off center because you cant see it properly.

I am about to bolt on a GT25 BB 400 turbo and intended on running 20-22lb boost so the head gasket is probably good insurance right? Thus my previous question about the head gaskets...

Any suggestions or advice...?

Cheers,

Ian.

Well got it sorted. Going to pull the manifold off tonight and have the a local exhaust shop remove all the studs and replace them with decent high tensile ones.

To the rest of the SAU members.. sorry for this.

Wazz you complete and utter idiot! When are you going to come good on your threats and come and kick my ass! I'm waiting and have been waiting since your "threatening emails" :lol: and frankly i'm bored! I really hope you try because I've been keeping my rage under control and have been needing someone to vent on. You really have no idea who your dealing with. After I leave you a bloddy and broken mess i'll take the $50 from you wallet that you still owe Warren. And because of your emails and your previous history I can do all this in the name of self defence!

Attention Moderators: This idiot called Warick is a known menace and I'm sure he has made is presance felt in the past on this forum. We have had to block him fromt he QLD Street Scene forum becuase he kept using abusive language and ignoring moderators requests to act like an adult. Feel free to give him a red card or block him.

Cheers,

Ian

this is a common skyline fault, i had the same thing, had to have a mobile guys come out and retap and enlarge all studs, plus change them to high tensiel $600 f**king bucks later.

Dam! Though the exhaust shop said it was a 5 hour job if they were going to remove the header, turbo etc. I'll do all that myself and give them the car ready to work on so it will hopefully only take an hour tops to replace all the studs.

I'll let you know how it goes...

CHeers,

Ian

self defense lol

please moderators.. take this cockheads advice.. seeing as he drives a volkswagon.. that is apprently queenslands quickest street registered vw.. yet it has never seen a drag strip before.. so before you go mouthing off PROOVE WAT IT CAN DO YOU COCKHEAD NONE OF THIS TALK TALK TALK SHIT bring it out and proove wat the piece of shit can do and if your really that keen to loose money bring it out cockhead

I had the same thing happen when I blew the gasket between the head and exhaust manifold.

My neighbour (a mechanic) welded a large washer onto what was left of the exhaust stud (in the head) and then welded a nut onto the washer. He had it out in 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure this is what an exhaust shop would do as well. Charging 5 hours for a job like that is a bit iffy. Even if it was a drive-in drive-out job, it should only take a decent workshop 3 or so hours.

Oh....and you two need to get over yourselves............

Edited by Lazy-Bastard