SAU Community

Ecutalk - Standard & Pocket Pc Consult Software

NewKleer

So Caz's $100 cable kit includes ALL parts to connect from consul port up to the PDA?

But stock ecu.. something that I dont have... (have PowerFC)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wont work with a powerfc.

and as mentioned throughout the thread you may need a serial sync + null modem adaptor (or other cables depending on pda) to connect to pda via serial.

the consult interface has a serial plug on end of it - you need a cable that will allow you to connect serial "devices" up to your pda.

whether its a serial gps or serial consult interface, doesnt matter (hence if someone says they can hook up a serial gps device to their pda with some kind of cable, then with the same cable you should be able to hook up to a consult interface)

ok i'm going to sound stupid again, but i need more help, NewKleer...

have purchased and recieved:

- serial consult inteface cable

- null modem

so.. now i have to connect a male rs232 plug to a mini-USB in order to get this stuff connected..

my problem:

they don't make mini-usb to serial sync cables for my pda.. i have spent house looking for them on the net with NO luck :yes:

what are my solutions?

i have a mini-usb to normal usb cable here.. can i get a usb to rs232 female adaptor and plug that into the null modem?

what else can i do?

wanting to get this workng asap..

cheers,

Warren

Hey Waz, is the XDA II mini sync cable different to a regular XDA II?

If its the same, I reckon the one off ebay will work on yours.

I used it again on the weekend, and tried the logging. I exported the data to an excel spreadsheet and made the graphs.

I've made a donation to NewKleer, small price to pay for a great tool.

Would love to see a peak hold function and a time trial feature if a new version is released!

Edit, log added

http://users.tpg.com.au/gengis/ecutalk/testlog.xls

Edited by Gengis

geez warren, what will we do with you :(

go back to page 2, post #27 and #29. i gave you a list of stuff to get, and there was no mention of the usb. stop trying to use bloody usb, because there is only one brand of usb-serial converter chips i know that have drivers for windows ce (no idea if that includes xda). if you want to be adventurous u can try this specific adaptor: http://store.yahoo.com/cooldrives/usb-to-serial-adapter.html, but no idea if it will work (you will of course need ur mini usb adaptor, and to download the drivers from ftdichip.com)

so head back to page 2, get the SERIAL sync cable, and plug it up as ive said. next mention of usb earns you a bitch slap

gengis, how do u think the peak hold should work? display max value on the gauge perhaps (above the current?)

Edited by NewKleer

Gengis: no.. the XDA II is a bit older so has a different plug to connect to it and so the sync cable won't plug in

NewKleer: i have an XDA II mini.. there is only one input/output to the device and its a mini usb port. So i HAVE to somewhere convert this usb signal back into something else! you would think a serial sync cable would be good.. but they don't make one for my PDA!

that link you posted is for the O2 XDAII, not the O2 XDAII mini...

so, i have to connect one end of the null modem to my PDA (which has mini usb as its only input)...

oh i see now, they're going backwards in technology these days :(

ok, so you know if its a host usb port? ie, can you plug a usb mouse into it? or is it only a "device" port, ie you can plug it into your pc for syncing but the usb is otherwise useless (aside from charging)

from this thread, it looks like they dont: http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t...t=host&start=15

which basically means ur screwed :)

try put the software on ur xda and see what ports it shows in the drop down list on startup (or can u otherwise see what COM ports you have?) maybe u can get a bluetooth to serial adaptor if ur pda already has a com port for bluetooth to serial

Edited by NewKleer

here are some images:

- serial consult interface

- null modem

(just like you said, newkleer)

- now there's the bottom of my PDA and its only input the other hole is a headphone jack)

- and finally the plug that fits into it: a mini usb. the only cable i can find that has a mini usb on one end has a normal usb at the other...

so you can see why i am confused?

post-2094-1142946049.jpg

that's why i was initially talkaing about the "consult to usb" cable as i thought it might be easier than "consult to serial"...

have not tried to plug a mouse in, only sync and charge

i'll check in the manual/settings to see if its a host or device...

what a useless pda/phone! see the edited post above.

see if u can google anyone whos been able to get their xda2 mini to work with a serial gps (eg via bluetooth-serial converter). only thing is, if one exists, it might be expensive.

im guessing u dont have a CF slot?

go grab a usb mouse or keyboard (do u have an adaptor yet for usb-mini to normal usb, with whatever gender changers?) just try plug it in and see if it works? hopefully wont damage anything if it doesnt :(

try find soem software online (or is it part of mobile windows?) that gives u a description of each port. maybe in connections or something?

borrow a usb mouse/keyboard (or take needed stuff soemwhere that has one and try it out).

Edited by NewKleer

what are my moves if:

a) usb keyboard works?

b) usb kyboard no worky..

EDIT: this is going to be hardto test and my cable is usb mini female to usb male, so would have to BUY a female-to-female adaptor to plug a keyboard in..

i don't actually understand why the "usb consult interface" cable (as opposed to serial) doesn't work.. does it need "host" functionallity to work with that?

consult interface is a usb device. usb devices need a usb host to work.

a computer is a usb host, most pda's are usb devices only. usb device->usb device doesnt work.

i imagine some pda's have some way to switch between host/device using same cable - maybe mini does but undocumented, youll soon find out if a keyboard/mouse (id try both) works/doesnt.

if it does work, i can send you a serial-usb convert to try with it (will need it back) - if it works, then you can buy any usb-serial converter with the FTDI chip in it and use it (note, the usb consult interfaces didnt have the ftdi chip in them, hence it would not work whether u had host usb or not, as there are no windows ce drivers for the chip used in them, but there are for ftdi chips).

if it doesnt work, more than likely there would be no way to get a usb consult interface to work. you still may be able to get serial consult interface by other means. IRDA or bluetooth to serial adaptors may work - could be costly. but if u had gotten a usb consult interface it would be useless by now (aside from using it in a pc).

you can always make a serial consult interface into usb with usb-serial converter, you cant go the other way.

Edited by NewKleer

hmmm well unless i spend heaps of cash geting this serial consult interface cable to work, its useless to me anyway

maybe i should see if caz will let me change my serial consult to a usb consult interface cable so at least i can use it on my laptop..

seems like i might have to ditch the whole pda idea then :P

wait till u see if the usb kb/mouse works. you can always just get a usb-serial converter for your laptop (assuming it doesnt have serial ports) - thats essentially what the usb version is, just converting serial to usb (which then gets converted back to serial via virtual com port).

im sure u could pick up a older ppc that will work with this for not too much $