SAU Community

Unbelieveble mileage on the odometer

T0nyGTSt

Originally posted by akeenan

i know how easy it is.

piss easy, just take off the dash console unscrew the dash and u can start winding back within about 10 mins

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too tend to believe that they must have been wound back. All the cars in a yard seem to have very similar readings.

I picked one with very little wear on seats, pedals etc. It was also stock, so any mods and racing will only have been done by the Aussie owner.

When taking my car home the odometer was working only intermittently.

I took it back to the yard and they agreed to fix it. I argued that it was not possible to know exactly how many K's it had done and they also agreed to do my timing belt etc well before the 100K it was due.

A good result in the end.

I got my 1993 @ 32,000kms last year with very clean condition. Engine is luckily good as ICE inspected it during last service, but they said it might have been wound back either here or in Japan, as the timing belt is already starting to sag, possibly the actual km is 80,000km or so, but the mechanical and interior conditions are still very good. Possibly owned by a lady or family man in japan who don't trash their car (finger cross)...

So anyway I had the timing belt replaced at last service 46,000km just to be 100% safe... just in case it is really wound back. My new manual speedo starts at 48,000km (I had auto to manual gearbox conversion) so I'm actually "loosing" 2,000 km or so but at the combination of age and km, I can't be bother to wind it back to 46,000 km same as when I replace it.

If your car still drives nice, enjoy it...

Oh, and by the way, my mom in Indonesia had a 1998 Toyota Corolla and it only ran a genuine 8,891km because she did not use it a lot. I can guarantee this because she bought it brand spanking new from the dealer in 1998. That's only an average of 1,700km a year and not unusual there.

Since I bought my skyline, I had travelled 14,000km in it (32K to 46K) within 10 months (March 02 - Jan 03).

Maybe you guys wanna start importing 2nd hand cars from sth east asia instead of Japan?

HOWEVER price might be a deterrent factor as a 2003 model Camry cost Rp.400,000,000 (yes, digits are correct) which is close to $75,000 for a entry level 4-cylinder model. Here they cost only $26,990 for the same 4-pot stirrer. Most of it is the 200% import tax (300% if you import as built-up not knock down components), not sure if you can get a refund on that if you re-export the car, but I don't think so.

If your looking at buying and are weary of the odo things to look for are if the numbers line up on the odo. You may find the at the third number from the right for example is lower than the rest sitting at level.

Just something I picked up on. Anyhow I'd rather buy a car with 120K on the clock than 30K of the same vintage. May have been sitting in bumper to bumper most of it's life......

Yeah

My Wife's Aunty has a 91 Pintara bought new. It now has 29,000 genuine Kilometers on it.

I would not buy this car in a million years as it just sits in the garage (Been thru at least 4 batteries). Never had fuel filter changed or trans oil etc in all this time.

Would definitely blow it up first time I drove it. Low K's ain't necessarily what it's cracked up to be, especially if the car is not maintained properly. The fluids do go off etc.

Love your 'Line if it does what you want it to regardless of KM's!!

Another thought. I think they look after them well in Jap because of the laws etc.

like you guys said the only way you can tell is from the outisde of the car and most importantly the inside of the car

seats steering wheel dash console pedals etc

thats what i belive in i belive if the inside preety well and the outside preety good you "should" have a good car

Yeah mine was definately wound back - but done on aus ground by private owner - why im not sure because it should have round 104,000 on clock for aug 02 and for a 94 model i would believe this to be spot on. But im really stumped as to why private owner would do it - guess i'll never know - cant complain my car is in good nick havent had any probs its just a shame that they cant leave things be - its more useful to us knowing what kms a car has done so we can get things like belts etc changed on time!

funny thing is I'm really sceptical about klms and well my car when I bought it had 63000 klmI never believed the klms until my mechanic who does a lot of work for car yard inspected it and his comment was the klms are genuine why because of the condition of the car in generall and the underbody of the car etc. some are low some are high just make sure your interior is is good nick that tells the story

meggala

well i just got back from mondo motors on warrigal road, felt like going down and having a bit of a look at their cars and this thread got me interested in the klms on some imports....so i went down to have a look..

well well they must think we are stupid or something!!! i mean for goodness sakes....

heres an example there was a purple 95 vspec down their with apparently only approx 42k on the clock. The steering wheel was so warn it wasnt funny actually i dont think ive seen a steering wheel as warn as this one, there where scratches all around the lock on the driver side the front bar was pretty chipped and the dash was a little untidy here and there and there were a few more scratches around the car... it did not look like it had only done 42k...

i was shocked

mine's got 158k on the clock now - 52k when i bought it.

It wouldnt surprise me if it was over the 200k mark now.

But all is good - still goin strong, also considering my motor's

an NA engine with a turbo bolted on. Kinda shows how good

rb engines actually are really.

although, funny how all the late r34s i see seem to have approx (and probably genuine) 20-40k

but the 32s and 33s seem to have the same. Did everyone in

Japan recently start driving more in the last 5 yrs?

Strange days indeed...

I'd say just removing the dial on a digital would reset it, either that or there is an internal battery to remove.

crooser.. good to see yours is going strong after 158,000km!

While i assume the turbo will reduce the life a fair bit off an RB25, RB30's can get 400,000km out of them