SAU Community

Cool Project To Come Out Of Ford Australia. Drift Xr6.

FPV's Wild 'DRIF6' Concept Breaks Cover

Motoring Channel Staff - 28/Feb/2006

FPV Typhoon DRIF6 Concept Car

Built for drifting, the DRIF6 generates 380kW of power

and 700Nm of torque, enough to get the wheels smoking.

fpv-drif6-1.jpg

fpv-drif6-2.jpg

FPV DRIF6: Specifications

Body: Lightweight F6 Typhoon, 4-door sedan

Engine: Turbocharged/intercooled 4.0-litre DOHC in-line six cylinder

Turbocharger: Garrett GT 35/40

Induction system: Hand-made twin-plenum manifold with custom three-inch pipes from turbocharger and intercooler. Ram air intake from lower front bumper into K&N pod filter

Engine Management System: Customised calibration

Exhaust: Stainless steel 3-inch straight-through with side outlet

Intercooler: Front mounted 600mm x 300mm x 75mm

Power: 380kW (517hp)

Torque: 700Nm

Clutch: AP Racing twin-plate

Differential: Locked rear differential, 3.73:1 final drive

Brakes: Cross-drilled and ventilated 355mm x 32mm front and 330mm x 28mm rear rotors with Brembo callipers. HIS braided hoses. Pull-operated hydraulic handbrake with Tilton brake proportioning valve.

Seats: Momo

Steering wheel: Momo

Harnesses: Four-point Momo race harnesses

Battery: Optima; mounted in rear of cockpit with central-mounted kill switch

Gauges: VDO monster tacho, Autron tyre pressure monitoring system

Wheels:19x8 inch five-spoke alloy in Dark Argent

Tyres: 245/35 ZR19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

Lubricant: Castrol Edge 0W-40

Here's something for the rev heads - Ford Performance Vehicles has developed an "unofficial" concept car based on the popular 2006 BF model F6 Typhoon that has been designed to burn rubber. Literally.

Purpose built as a 'drifter' - drifting is one of the fastest growing motor sport genres and easily one of the most entertaining - the rear wheel drive turbo monster was first seen at the ninth annual FPV Family Open Day recently, and has been nicknamed DRIF6 in regards to its powersliding nature and 6-cylinder powertrain.

The one-off concept car is expect to attract plenty of attention with its custom car styling (note the slotted hood), eye-catching paint scheme and of course its earth-shaking performance.

“There is a tradition at each FPV Family Open Day for a group of volunteers from FPV and Prodrive to create a project car to showcase their abilities and generate some excitement among the visitors,” mentioned David Flint, the Ford Performance Vehicles boss.

He added: “This year, they have surpassed all previous projects.”

FPV explains that the team has created a specially-modified one-off version of the FPV F6 Typhoon sedan designed to tackle similar turbocharged performance cars in the spectacular new form of motor racing; Drifting.

DRIF6 features a lightweight chassis, racing cockpit and uprated version of its critically-acclaimed intercooled and turbocharged 4.0-litre straight 6-cylinder engine producing more than 380kW of power and 700Nm of torque.

“We wanted to conjure up something unique and exciting for our new turbo fans,” FPV communications manager, Andrew MacLean, said. “Drifting is one of the fastest growing forms of motor racing in Australia – and certainly one of the most spectacular…so we let our imaginations drift in that direction.”

Unlike previous Family Open Day projects, DRIF6 is a fully-operational concept vehicle and Ford Performance Racing’s rising star, Mark Winterbottom, was involved in early development of the vehicle.

DRIF6 was built by a team of dedicated engineers and technicians at FPV’s Campbellfield facility with the assistance and support of a number of key suppliers, including Prodrive, Autotek, Castrol, HIS Hoses, Robinson Racing Developments, Revolution Racegear and Dunlop.

FPV explains that at the heart of the DRIF6 project is an upgraded 4.0-litre turbocharged 6-cylinder engine with modifications made to increase the efficiency of the turbo system and to boost power and torque.

These include a significantly larger intercooler with a revised induction system that features a ram air box taking air from where the fog light is normally located on the production car, a hand made plenum manifold replacing the individual inlet runners, a unique engine management system calibration and three-inch straight through exhaust system with side outlet.

The transmission has an upgraded Tremec T-56 close-ratio 6-speed gearbox and AP racing twin-plate clutch driving the rear wheels through a locked differential.

Deceleration is taken care of by the optional Brembo brake package already available on the F6 Typhoon, which features 355mm front and 330mm rear cross-drilled and pillar ventilated rotors and 6-piston monoblock front calliper and 4-pot rear calliper. The braking system has been modified especially for Drifting with high quality braided hoses, a brake proportioning valve and a WRC-style hydraulic handbrake.

The fully functional DRIF6 concept car has also been given a new interior in order to ensure maximum safety during any drifting the car may be put through. FPV says the cockpit of DRIF6 has been stripped and replaced with world-class Momo racing seats and racing harnesses, a Momo steering wheel, Momo gearknob and a variety of ancillary gauges by VDO and Autron. These include a monster VDO tacho on the dash, explains FPV, located in line with the twin-pod sport gauges that display oil temperature and turbo boost pressure, A-pillar mounted gauges to display volts and cabin temperature and Autron’s latest high-tech tyre-press monitoring system located at the base of the Interior Command Centre. To keep things rigid, the cockpit also has a racing-style roll cage installed.

The Australian Ford tuning group mentioned that the DRIF6 is a concept car designed to showcase the enthusiasm and expertise of FPV’s engineering operations, but that there are no plans, at this stage, to participate in competitive events.

SOURCE

"omg disshhhhh" maketh not a good drift car :D

I'm a fan. more factory backed cars need to be in drift. Hope Nissan can retaliate with a 350Z, especially since they're flogging the "look at our Nismo 350Z" horse at the car shows.

there are no plans, at this stage, to participate in competitive events.

They wouldn't want to be beat by a 20 year old AE86 now would they...? :D

Theres only one (!) thing holding back the XR6T: Weight, weight, and it's a bloody big sedan. Put that donk in a Lexus IS250 sized car - preferably with a 2-door option - and holy good gravy there be some fiiiiine machinery right thar...

but rezz look at robbie bludger :D hes in a ute and monaro n doesnt do too badly

i dont c the point of making this car if they arent going to use it

its like spending trillions on a space ship that they cart around to airshows.... wats the point???

Theres only one (!) thing holding back the XR6T: Weight, weight, and it's a bloody big sedan.

tell that to the guys drifting the chasers, soarers, mustangs, vipers, supras, monaros and maloos in the world. They should "av-a-go-mate!" and see how they do. Who cares if they win or lose.

tell that to the guys drifting the chasers, soarers, mustangs, vipers, supras, monaros and maloos in the world. They should "av-a-go-mate!" and see how they do. Who cares if they win or lose.

I wasn't talking about that car in the first post, I was talking about the XR6T in general... I'd probably buy one if it wasn't so overweight.

having said that, I think it's time for Holden/Ford to address the lightweight RWD crowd. Holden did that Torana concept thingy (was it RWD?) which is definately a step in the right direction. Stop all this family car business! :D

I wasn't talking about that car in the first post, I was talking about the XR6T in general... I'd probably buy one if it wasn't so overweight.

having said that, I think it's time for Holden/Ford to address the lightweight RWD crowd. Holden did that Torana concept thingy (was it RWD?) which is definately a step in the right direction. Stop all this family car business! :D

The new fords may be heavy, but they sure arent slack when it comes to accelerating.

The new XR6 and XR8 are faster than their predecessors, and still flog the pants off most things on the road.

Pffft I remember seeing a video a while ago..

Starts off cars drifting around a track...

Big truck rolls in and starts drifting.. pretty decently too..

All this crap about the xr6's weight means nothing if a guy in a truck can do it..

Someone try and find that video..

And that car does need some dish.. It looks too v8 supercarish still...

Edited by ignuz

meh...

after watching the alot of d1, it looks clear that the us built cars (mustang, gto, viper) just dont have the moment of the jap built cars.. may it has something to do with the way they are built im not sure but even the 350z (which weights abit from factory) moves better than say the 700hp mustangs out of america..