SAU Community

Warning: Ebay Performance Products

I bought my dump pipe/front pipe combo (all 1 piece) from a seller off ebay (though i didn't buy through ebay, but direct off the guy) and it was fine..

it was a "Flying Performance" one... don't know if the guy is still around or not, haven't seen them advertised for a while.

i did a bit of research on mine before i bought it, and it seemed a few other members had already got some off this guy, and were happy with them....

so i took the plunge, and i was happy with it too...

mind you, thats not to say every dump pipe or every front pipe on ebay is going to be of the same quality...

ebay does have a claims process and it does work but it's painful. depends how bad you want to get compensation and how bad you want to give them the sh*ts. in the case where i was ripped off it was more closing them down than getting the money. if they are a company with an abn try the local department of fair trading. keep the records of the sale and get into them by whatever means you can. people like this are utter a'holes and it's amazing what a difference in attitude they can adopt when they realise you're not stuffing about. good luck.

OK,

Ive only had 1 trade out of 180 go bad, the fella was a convicted thief (I googled him) & after making my claim I got all my money back (over $200US) from ebay less a $20 claim fee. But I had to file a claim to Utah, seeing it was an item from USA.

Now, as for perfromance products, I must have bought over 8grand of performance gear for my motorbike off ebay and have had nothing but success.

ie, Yoshimura exhaust retail $1400 I got fur under $700, then grabbed a Akrapovic exhaust $2400 retail I got for under $1000, got Keihin flatslide carbs $2000 retail I got for $1400, Wave rotors $800 retail I got for under $600, etc etc etc, honestly the list goes on.

Do your homework & know what you are buying and how much it is actually worth. Ive saved thousands of dollars thru ebay rather than buying via a retail shop door, with ~95% of goods being new.

Tangles

Honda_CBR900RR_Fireblade_specs.doc

Hi there,

I have bought over $4000 worthed of goodies in the e-bay for my upgrade in the last month. Actualy that is how I found and join SAU via a power seller from e-bay. You have to choose careful the item and the person you are dealing with. There are good deals..and bad deals and always will be a better deal.

As for a turbo, after blowing 3 standard I did not settle for anything less than a GARRETT T04E. I saw a guy in the ebay listed a T28 as a T04E (internal wastegate). My turbo is a second hand one..but imported by the guy who fitted so if something goes wrong..he will hear from me.

Good luck to you all.

EUG

as far as warranty goes, its generally a manufacturers warranty, not a sellers warranty. e.g. the part goes back to the manufacturer and they test, repair or replace the part. through ebay, its up to the seller to get the part to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. doesnt always go this way though.

of course if you can, try to bypass the seller in this case, and contact the manufacturer regarding the claim. so long as you have some sort of proof of purchase, and if the manufacturer is decent, they should be able to help you out. most companies, if they care about their reputation, are willing to do something about this.

have you considered this as an alternative?

Yeah, I bought a high flow cat from hyper performance on eBay, he sent me a WRX one instead. So I sent it back and asked him to send me a Skyline one instead... haven't heard a word since.

Damn eBay!

my brother in law sells alot of stuff on ebay. he sold a camera for 2500 and had the money transferred into his account. when my brother in law sent the guys details off to his supplier, they warned him that the buyer has been known to scam people. this is how he did it....

apparently he was some kind of hacker and would transfer money from someone else's account, into the seller's. the seller would then post the item to this guy (who lived in taiwan), and by the time the ball was already rolling, the banks would realise the money was taken out illegally and would demand the money back off the seller.

anywho my brother in law sent an email to the guy that the money has been confiscated by the bank (which really hadnt been), the guy replied that he doesnt know what could've gone wrong and insisted he would sort it out. he has hasnt heard from him since. this all happened around 3 weeks ago. and the money is still sitting in my brother in law's account.

I'm in bit of a rush this morning so I'll find references later tonight -

Either the NSW Sale of Goods Act or the Trade Practices Act has consumer protections that are applicable in this case. Sellers are required by law to sell goods that are of 'merchantable quality' and fit for sale. The section talks about implied warranties. It's like if you went to Harvey Norman, bought a DVD player that didn't have a warranty, took it home and it didn't work. You still are legally entitled to a working DVD for the first time you use it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, have to go or I'll be late for work. ;)

That may be the case legally speaking, but practically, how do you track these guys down for a refund?

It's ridiculously easy to create false accounts on eBay to sell stuff, and eBay is VERY reluctant to reveal its users details even when they are fraudulent. There really is little guarantee, and a LOT of scams going around.

I had one guy who copy-and-pasted an item I was selling and said it was his. Luckily someone notified me, and I was able to contact the winning bidder and let them know that it was a scam before he lost a LOT of money!

My mate brought a turbo from ebay for his R33 skyline he's car ran 180rwk with a tweaked stock turbo setup, after the new turbo was in installed .......166rwk???????????? we also measured the external wastegate that cane with is 31mm!!! so much for the advertised 45mm.

Words of advice "What seems cheaper in the begining is going to be the most expensive! " all the best ne way mate !!

Apologies to the thread starter, but due to persistant whoring and off topic posting, I've locked this thread until the hi-jackers get the messsage.

All complaints and subsequent OT posts have been moved into the feedback section.

Thread reopened. Guys keep to the topic, any off topic discussion (ie anything not related to the products on ebay) will be deleted by moderators, as they have every right to do so.

A new thread with the rest of the discussions in this thread has been created in the News & Current Affairs section of the forum

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=109026

Again a warning to those posting in the new thread that it will be closed/deleted if people resort to name calling or offtopic postwhoring.

yeah, i would like to but i have been warned. if anyone wants more info PM me. they actually do have an ABN, so anyone got any ideas?

If it stated on ebay that it was sold including warranty try contacting ebay, might not do any good but you never know, I had a bid on a pioneer in dash dvd not long ago and someone who'd bought from the same company with supposed warranty complained and all bids on the units where cancelled by ebay and warnings where posted to anyone who had veiwed or bid on them so it might not help you but might help the next bloke who goes to buy from them, sorry to hear bout that :dry: