SAU Community

Need Help And Advice

I know some of you guys are the experts of importing vehicle from oversea to Australia, so I have a few questions want to ask about.

I purchased a Skyline GTR 32 from an import broker in Jan 2004 and paid the cost of the car in the same month. The vehicle was built in May 1990.

The car landed in Australia as a test car of RAWS in Feb 2005 and now the car is still in the workshop and has not been plated yet. :huh:

Aug 2005, I rang the workshop and they said the compliance was complete, and had booked in for the inspection. However, till now they are still waiting for the VSS officer to come and inspect the car.

I drove to the workshop last week and look into my car, everything is still the same as it just landed and all the aftermarket parts are still in the car. Then I asked them, they said they have done all the things for the car already except some minor stuff and the VSS officer will contact them four weeks before they come, so they will have enough time to finish it.

It is over 2 years since I bought the car on Jan 2004, it is really annoying for me and I really need to sort it out as soon as it can.

For my situation, can anyone tell me what can I do to speed up the process?

I thought they need to put the car back to factory standard and have done all the usual compliance work before they book in for the inspection, am I correct?

Any advice or opinion from you guys will be really helpful for me, as I don’t know anything of RAWS, compliance………….. all I know is I love SKYLINE same as you guys.

that sux dude but you should have taken the car from them two years ago. If they wont or cant do the job then somone else could.

They are scamming you, probably beeen driving your car around for two years.

I would get legal advice asap.

Ok, you've got a fight on your hands.

Firstly, if your car was being used as a test car, there is no way in hell they would leave the modded parts on it - the car MUST be stock for compliance and for inspection.

Two years is ridiculous - before I can help you, I need to know 1) where the car is (which state at least) and 2) if you've already paid for compliance. Then we can work out a plan of attack.

I purchased a Skyline GTR 32 from an import broker in Jan 2004 and paid the cost of the car in the same month. The vehicle was built in May 1990.

The car landed in Australia as a test car of RAWS in Feb 2005 and now the car is still in the workshop and has not been plated yet. :O

Aug 2005, I rang the workshop and they said the compliance was complete, and had booked in for the inspection. However, till now they are still waiting for the VSS officer to come and inspect the car.

I drove to the workshop last week and look into my car, everything is still the same as it just landed and all the aftermarket parts are still in the car. Then I asked them, they said they have done all the things for the car already except some minor stuff and the VSS officer will contact them four weeks before they come, so they will have enough time to finish it.

It is over 2 years since I bought the car on Jan 2004, it is really annoying for me and I really need to sort it out as soon as it can.

A couple of questions.

Why did you wait 12 months to import the car?

If it was being imported as a RAWS test vehicle it could have been imported at anytime from purchase date, so it could have been imported in 2004.

Why did you import it for RAWS compliance?

With a purchase date of January 2004 and a May 1990 build date the car could have been issued with an Import Approval in May 2005 under the 15 year rule.

A RAW has 12 months to undertake all evidence testing/compliance work etc. If compliance takes longer (ie; RAW has difficulty passing/obtaining emissions/noise test evidence) then an extension must be requested by the RAW.

Personally, I would think it unusual for a RAW not to have all compliance work well and truly completed before booking for the inspection of their test vehicle.

With valid reason it is possible to change the RAW doing the compliance. Contact DoTaRS and explain the situation, I am sure they will understand your concerns. Before you contact DoTaRS it would be a good idea to line up another RAW who already has the licence for the R32 GTR. There are several already licenced.

Hope this info is of help

Cheers

The car landed in Australia as a test car of RAWS in Feb 2005 and now the car is still in the workshop and has not been plated yet. ;)

A couple of questions.

If it was being imported as a RAWS test vehicle it could have been imported at anytime from purchase date, so it could have been imported in 2004.

With a purchase date of January 2004 and a May 1990 build date the car could have been issued with an Import Approval in May 2005 under the 15 year rule.

A RAW has 12 months to undertake all evidence testing/compliance work etc. If compliance takes longer (ie; RAW has difficulty passing/obtaining emissions/noise test evidence) then an extension must be requested by the RAW.

Personally, I would think it unusual for a RAW not to have all compliance work well and truly completed before booking for the inspection of their test vehicle.

With valid reason it is possible to change the RAW doing the compliance. Contact DoTaRS and explain the situation, I am sure they will understand your concerns. Before you contact DoTaRS it would be a good idea to line up another RAW who already has the licence for the R32 GTR. There are several already licenced.

Hope this info is of help

Cheers

To: Jade

ANS: Because the import broker said he couldn't find any RAWS to do my car, so I waited until he found the RAWS for my car on NOV of 2004. (but when I bought the car form him, he said the compliance should be ready with in 3 months which was around May of 2004.......)

ANS: When the import broker found the RAWS for my car on NOV of 2004, I asked him should I wait for another 6 months so I can import the car under the 15 year rule(as I waited over 10 moths already), then he said

the 15 year rule is going to change which I may not be able to import the car under that rule, and

if I imported the car now, everything should be done around MAR of 2005.

As I really wanted to get it done, so I made the worest decision in my life..........it is MAR of 2006 now and I am still waiting.............

I paid $1000 to the import broker and $5000 to the RAWS for the compliance work and what I got is 2 years plus waiting time and headache.

:D

Ok, you've got a fight on your hands.

Firstly, if your car was being used as a test car, there is no way in hell they would leave the modded parts on it - the car MUST be stock for compliance and for inspection.

Two years is ridiculous - before I can help you, I need to know 1) where the car is (which state at least) and 2) if you've already paid for compliance. Then we can work out a plan of attack.

To: vrfour

The car is in Melbourne and I live in Melbourne as well. I have already paid $5000 for compliance on NOV of 2004.

Thanks for all the advice and help for you guys........ ;)

While I think there are ways in which fullo could have handled this better, to my mind it does sound a lot like some of the brokers i've heard of: before the purchase it's promises and smiles. after the purchase, it's expectations management.

bad luck mate, hope you get it sorted soon. :laugh:

fullo - $5K for R32 compliance?? An they're using it as a test car??

F%($!

There is only one option for you at this point - go to Consumer Affairs, and through them, ask for your money back from the workshop. Also, ring Dept of Transport and Regional Services and lodge a complaint against them - they have every chance of losing their plates if this is seriously what they're doing.

I suspect they have done absolutely nothing to your car, and if you go and get it back yourself, they will send you a bill for the "work" they've done.

Like I said, PM me if you need more help. It's just not good enough on their behalf. Oh and start hassling your broker too - it should've been HIS responsiblity to ensure the car was complied in due time.

Sound advice from vrfour.

All the best, let us know what's happened.

Thanks for all the advice, I will contact Consumer Affairs and see how can they help me.

By the way, is there any RAWS or Solicitor here can give me some legal advice? If you guys know any RAWS or solicitor, please tell them about my situation and tell me what they say.

regards,

:D

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the people sent me messages.

I contacted Consumer Affairs last week,

a helpful lady gave me alot of information and a phone number of DOTARS. She suggested me to lodge a complaint form to DOTARS and she is contacting RAWS team to get more information for me as well.

To all the people who asked about the names of the import broker and RAW,

I am not going to post their names in here, that is the rule of this forum. At this moment, I really don't want to screw up anyone, I just want to sort it out as soon as it can.

best regards,

• 2 weeks later...
ideally you want your money back from the broker and the raw, and the ability to have your car complied elsewhere.

I paid $5000 to the raw and gave him 14 months time to do the compliance, why I shouldn't get the money back from him and do the compliance somewhere else? I know he may has some problem with his business, but it is over 1 year and my car is still the same as it just landed, I don't want to waste my time anymore...............it is over two years since I bought it.

As a RAW I think you have been taken for a ride as the sample Vehicle (your car) should have been inspected within 12 months from the time the import approval has been issued. so if you're saying its been 2 years then definetly something is not right there.

But again you're saying it landed feb 05 so it will all depend on the when the Import approval was issued.

What i would suggest is wait for when this RAW is saying the car will be inspected, if it turns out that he didn't have the inspection and he is not telling the truth then have a chat with DOTARS and see what they say.

no they cannot be fined or penalised, and unfortunately when using your car for a sample car its the risk you take by making that decision .

To skyline33,

the import approval issued NOV 2004 and you meant I should keep waiting until the raw told me the exactly inspection day, but it is over 6 months already since he told me he has booked in. Shall I keep waiting and waiting again?

I paid $5000 to the raw and gave him 14 months time to do the compliance, why I shouldn't get the money back from him and do the compliance somewhere else? I know he may has some problem with his business, but it is over 1 year and my car is still the same as it just landed, I don't want to waste my time anymore...............it is over two years since I bought it.

read my post again mate. i said you should get your money back from the raw. AND the broker, and be able to comply your car somewhere else.