SAU Community

Succesful Insurance Claims With Mods...?

SRLS1

Hey people,

Was just wondering how people have gone with getting insurance claims on their modified car... I'm not talking about having a prang with a cat-back, I mean something that is obviously defectable such as being too low, or having a fairly nutsy motor (bigger turbo, cams, etc.)

The reason I ask is that a few insurance companies allow mods "providing they are roadworthy", when in many cases, they simply can't be!!! I mean, if a 200sx is lowered, and it was already barely above the minimum 100mm ground clearance, how the hell can that be "roadworthy". Anyway, the point is the mods themselves wouldnt cause a crash, so the insurer is unlikely to knock back a claim, but they can't say that.

So.. has anyone got experience with this sort of thing???

Cheers

Hows this then;

The only crash & subsequent insurance claim Ive had was dropping my ZX7R Kawasaki Ninja at 5kmph on black-ice (was coldest Aug morning on state records).... was $3500 damage.

True - handlebar, lever, fairings, exhaust - bike was completely stock ................... and out of the claim, I was given a Roo racing carbon fibre exhaust muffler on a reworked exhaust system, rather than a standard system!

Insurance provided me with a performance exhaust system, LOL

(gained a whole 5bhp from it too!!)

Edited by Tangles

We were having a similar discussion over on calaisturbo (http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=68593) about this, pretty much it's going to be hit-or-miss.

I don't think it's possible to find an insurance company that will insure you on the street with a car that is 'defectable'. Sure they will take your money, but when it comes to you trying to get a claim back from them and they inspect your car to find mods that are 'not roadworthy', say bye bye to your payout (and possibly the cover for whatever you hit!).

Edited by platinum

We were having a similar discussion over on calaisturbo (http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=68593) about this, pretty much it's going to be hit-or-miss.

I don't think it's possible to find an insurance company that will insure you on the street with a car that is 'defectable'. Sure they will take your money, but when it comes to you trying to get a claim back from them and they inspect your car to find mods that are 'not roadworthy', say bye bye to your payout (and possibly the cover for whatever you hit!).

i concur 110% with the 2nd half of your post ... and they will say didnt u read the fine print 'All modifications must be carried out by a qualified person to a roadworthy standard' or sumthing like that

First just ask raa insurance for the number[madaz] and second as long as the mods are replacing the original units because they may be worn out :D ie N1 turbos are factory replacement and intercoolers are replacing damaged originals :laugh: the insurance company's arent going to ask to see the original parts for damage etc are they because you havent claimed them or they were replaced before you got covered by that company . they qoted me $850 for full comp compared to classic cars $1250 for the same.

i guess you have to be as honest as you can :laugh:

good luck anyway :no: