SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

321100944.png

I'm with Adam as well Andrew with this result........big difference in Ping speed, what's that all about?

I upped the ante to Aggressive mode (ADSL2+) and it upped the ping rate slightly but dropped the download rate..........maybe time of day??

321485875.png

The ping will vary - 2ms is nothing. :D

Distance from the exchange.

My own service connects at a slower speed when connecting with ADSL2+ compared to ADSL1.

However connecting as plain old ADSL2 (without the +) it connects at its fastest.

What you need to do if your modem supports it is place your self on an ADSL2+ standard type profile that aims for an SNR of around 9-10 and then force the modem to connect 'only' in ADSL2 mode.

Doing so will generally provide the quickest connection at a longer line length.

231405745.png

LAN limited :P WOOT :(

bizarrely while my ADSL1+ gets a MAX of 4.5Mb/s on speedtest, sometimes I get download speeds as fast as 600kb/s in UTorrent, when downloading multiple torrents from a good source (like tvtorrents private tracker). I am not sure how I get such good speeds sometimes - yet have NEVER downloaded from the 'normal' internet (even direct from Adam or a pipe) at that 600kb/s.

The speed tests are a reasonable indicator but the best method is to download a file from your ISPs mirror.

Represents the speed of your actual connection not the jumps and hops between your ISP and the destination.

321617741.png

Supposidly (got spelling) i'm on ADSL2+ with Internode and this is all I get living in Panorama.

Pretty pathetic in my opinion.

Ignorance is bliss.

All bets you are on the ADSL2+ Very High Reliability Profile and haven't changed it since day one. :P

Double check to ensure all devices connected to your phone line are filtered. The modem doesn't require a filter. Run a <3m telephone cable.

The ping will vary - 2ms is nothing. :)

Distance from the exchange.

My own service connects at a slower speed when connecting with ADSL2+ compared to ADSL1.

However connecting as plain old ADSL2 (without the +) it connects at its fastest.

What you need to do if your modem supports it is place your self on an ADSL2+ standard type profile that aims for an SNR of around 9-10 and then force the modem to connect 'only' in ADSL2 mode.

Doing so will generally provide the quickest connection at a longer line length.

231405745.png

LAN limited :P WOOT :)

Thats quick, dies anyone still use dail up, they were the good old day take a week to down load a pic of a car!!

Thats quick, dies anyone still use dail up, they were the good old day take a week to down load a pic of a car!!

Now now, before I had ADSL (still on 1, no 2+ here ;) ), I used to download several gigs of anime & movies using good old dial up.

It does take several days or weeks for the 700mbs, & people can't call the house (which isn't really a bad thing, considering all that telemarketing crap I get everyday).

Edited by Mayuri Krab