SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

That applies to the Intel X25 only. There are many other types of SSD, intel do not have the monopoly on them, nor are they to be considered competent in SSD technology. No other SSD has issues with 'sector remap fragmentation'. I have a runcore SSD in my EEE and they do not suffer from any said problem.

Intel != all ssd's. TBH it sounds like you're just repeating what you've read from slashdot or arstechnica.

Intel > all SSD's

Load times are no doubt impressive with SSD's however their write performance sucks. Intel owns in this department offering performance similar to a mechanical HD where as the other SSD's fall far behind which is where the old 'stuttering' problem individuals complain about.

IMO Intel is SSD at the moment no other drive comes near it.

My little old AAKS peaks at 120mb/s holds that until close to 200gb then starts to tail off achieving an average read over 640gb of ~92mb/s according to the ol' hd tach.

The 'other' SSD's that don't have the issue Intel have simply suck when it comes to write speeds. Write speeds are important for a workhorse, again... SSD = great for a little lappy that doesn't see any 'real' usage.

I would consider an SSD for installing a few games on but even then for the $$ its hardly worth it.

Unless the other SSD's can sort out their write speeds and stutter as well as Intel sorting out their low level fragmentation issues I won't be jumping to SSD.

The SSD in the Asus EEPC is great but honestly its not really noticably faster than the AAKS HD apart from booting Windows.

Probably a bad example of a performance SSD in those Asus EEPC's but they are great for what they are, yes I've noticed a little stuttering with that SSD which sucks but you learn to live with it.

If you don't notice any stuttering etc what SSD is it you use?

Intel > all SSD's

Load times are no doubt impressive with SSD's however their write performance sucks. Intel owns in this department offering performance similar to a mechanical HD where as the other SSD's fall far behind which is where the old 'stuttering' problem individuals complain about.

IMO Intel is SSD at the moment no other drive comes near it.

If you don't notice any stuttering etc what SSD is it you use?

I use a runcore SATA mini PCI-E aftermarket replacement. Its a 32gb model. I've ran the benchmarks using HDParm on both my laptop and the SSD in the EEE.

the one in the EEE gets 125MB per second read, and 55MB per second write. My WD Raptor does 55mb Writes and 60mb Reads. The Green WD drive I have as my primary data store gets 55MB per sec reads and 45MB per second write. The SSD write speeds equal the WD Raptor I have in my main PC.

Intel do not own the SSD market. Not even close. Their idea of a wear levelling algorithm is to simply split the file up into multiple fragments and randomly allocate a logical block. Not a good idea.

There are two different types of SSD technology. MLC (Multi level cell - slower, less reliable) and SLC (Single level cell). SLC is much faster than MLC but at a greater cost, hence it doesn't get used quite as much. That said, MLC drives are getting faster at writes - indeed, the SSD in the EEE (Runcore) is an MLC based drive. The RunCore SSD is about 2.5 times as fast as an early MLC on reads and 6-8 times as fast on writes.

To compare with the MLC that came with the EEE - 8gigs. It has writes of 2MB a second max and 12MB/s reads. Once replaced with a fast runcore module, the 'stuttering' problem (which was Windows writing/changing files) simply vanishes. It makes the EEE like a new PC.

FYI - http://www.voitech.com.au/products/runcore...1-and-s101.html

-D

then something is wrong there damo

i have been using a pretty new HP and would say that the HP shits all over the dell with the same specs

how can 2 pcs have the same specs and have such a big performance difference...

god i hate dell pc's

then something is wrong there damo

i have been using a pretty new HP and would say that the HP shits all over the dell with the same specs

how can 2 pcs have the same specs and have such a big performance difference...

god i hate dell pc's

Just answered your own question :) we use Dell pc's. Optiplex 745, dunno the specs, but id rather use a piece of paper.

do a "start", then "run" and then type in "dxdiag"

that will give you the specs of your PC

We use Dell Optiplex 755 or HP 7800 DC

Both of them are Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, DVI card etc etc

love the HP

Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 512mb RAM. In brackets it says (2 CPU's) :D

Core 2's Duos have two cores per die (and quads have 4) ;P Unlike a P4 with hyperthreading which reports back two cores but actually only has one...

-D

Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 512mb RAM. In brackets it says (2 CPU's) :D

there is your answer damo...core 2 = 2 cores

shit you need more RAM and a better CPU lol

Mine at work is a Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz, 2018 RAM, 384 MB Video Card etc

works like a dream

Ok here's one for ya guys, got a 300GB hard drive that I store some of my files on. The other day it took a shit, so now when I boot up the PC with the 300GB in, it hangs while loading Windows. I've tried it in 3 different PC's now and same problem. Tried it again today and BAM, in it went, had access to all files, etc. Then I stupidly restarted and it all went wrong again. Any ideas how I can recover the files off this hard drive? I should have grabbed them when I did but as I said, stupidly reset :cool:

Usually I have no problems recovering atleast some data from dicky hard drives but this one has me stumped

its munted, if it boots again be ready to get all the files off it quick smart.

data recovery programs usually only work if the drive works, try booting using Heirin (sp?) it has tools to fix up all major brand hard drives, might get her up n running again

i have a few paper weights like ur drive

Ah you mean Hiren's Boot CD? Yeah I have yet to try that... unusual that there are no "ticking" sounds that you usually associate with a dying hard drive.

yeah thats the one

i have a few that spool up just fine when powered up, but are cactus..

one of them however i saved using the boot disk, is a WD drive, and i had it running for a good 6 months afterwards in my firewall

lol Luke i would of thought you would of mirrored the drive post haste :cool:

i loved that samsung youtube was gold and geeky perfect for this thread

for those that didn't see it

Luke I wouldn't even bother trying to boot off it again, you might really stuff it.

Pull it out and stick it into a machine that already has a boot drive and operating system in it then drag files across.

shit you need more RAM and a better CPU lol

Mine at work is a Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz, 2018 RAM, 384 MB Video Card etc

works like a dream

I've been using an EEEPC the past month or so while my desktop is being built. It drives me nuts with it's slowness - loading any webpage it lags up for a few seconds - its worse when I'm loading pages on multiple tabs. Cant wait til my new computer built - so far its half built and saving up to grab the rest then I can finish it off and use it.

Thats not 100% correct, the core 2 doesn't means 2 cores, as the Quad CPUs is also called Core 2 (my Q6600 has the Intel Core 2 Quad sticker) the "2" refers to the 2nd major refresh of the Intel core architecture, there was an original Intel Core Duo CPU (no 2 in the name) it was dual core & it was released in the laptop market only, it had the prefix "T" for the CPU models (my mum's laptop had one of those CPUs; a T2500 which ran @ 2Ghz).