SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Just got my Creative X-fi extreme audio sound card. having probs installing.

Comp wont even detect the soundcard for some reason.

Win Xp.

anyone used these cards before ?

no diff between PCI 2.1 slot and normal pci and pci E ?

Just got my Creative X-fi extreme audio sound card. having probs installing.

Comp wont even detect the soundcard for some reason.

Win Xp.

anyone used these cards before ?

no diff between PCI 2.1 slot and normal pci and pci E ?

I've got the Creative X-FI Fatal1ty champion series , probably the same...

make sure you have power plugged into the back of the card , if thats in and its still not detecting , try a different slot.

have you disabled onboard audio via bios ?

Ive disabled via system devices etc. Might be something to do with the slot on the motherboard.

Tried other pci slot and nothing comes on the screen.

Will try disabling via BIOS

Ive disabled via system devices etc. Might be something to do with the slot on the motherboard.

Tried other pci slot and nothing comes on the screen.

Will try disabling via BIOS

Shouldn't matter if the onboard is not disabled in BIOS because you should be able to switch between devices in Control Panel.

Just double check that it's seated correctly in the slot

words cannot describe how pissed of I am atm,

Managed to blow my comp up. How lovely.

Using my sisters laptop.

900 will go to a new box.

and how did u manage to blow it up?

-D

As I stated above I was trying to install my new soundcard. So I can have some crisp sounds for music production.

after about 234 hours of stuffing around I became impatient.

Tried clipping what I thought was alittle power supply to the end of the soundcard. did this while the comp had power. Screen went all funny so i switched it of quickly.

Now when I turn it on I hear all the right sounds but have absoloute nothingness on the screen.

lost some music and im going to cry alitte bit.

As I stated above I was trying to install my new soundcard. So I can have some crisp sounds for music production.

Tried clipping what I thought was alittle power supply to the end of the soundcard. did this while the comp had power. Screen went all funny so i switched it of quickly.

Now when I turn it on I hear all the right sounds but have absoloute nothingness on the screen.

its not likely you've lost your data

reset the CMOS, you may have only screwed the bios settings

-D

Will try that.

Just dont want to go near the other comp for a few mins. It may end up on the road or in the oven.

I was looking around for maybe a small fuse I may have blown ? Dont some motherboards have em ?

I was looking around for maybe a small fuse I may have blown ? Dont some motherboards have em ?

capacitors have a tendency to go if you do shit like that

OK so you hear a single beep when you turn the machine on and you get fans/hdd's spinning but nothing on your monitor.... At worst you've fried the graphics card. If nothing is happening (after what SLED has already advised) then you might have fried the Power Supply. Having re-read your post ^, there is a difference between PCI Express and PCI 2.1. PCI 2.1 slots are usually white slots on mobos and have a largish edge connector, most if not all PCI cards are compliant with 2.1. PCI Express cards have a very short edge connector and slots are usually black.

Also if you ever need any help/advise in regards to computer music production feel free to PM me... I've been doing this stuff for far too many years and have built and configured many digital audio workstations. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the creative card?

Still nothing.

hmm'''

I took out the Video card and went to onboard. Still nothing. so its not the gpu.

How exactly do you reset CMOS> maybe im doing something wrong.

I install all my own parts and never had this prob. its fkn annoying.

There will be a jumper switch located near the CMOS battery or between the pci slots - your motherboard manual schematic will point u in the right direction

download it off the net if u havent got a hardcopy

simply move the switch from position one to position two and back (while the unit is off)

same goes with jumper pins and jumpers, it'll be located near the cmos battery

yes there are fuses, but theyre located inside the power supply - i dont recommend you open that up due to the capacitance and AC current

-D

I install all my own parts and never had this prob. its fkn annoying.

Easiest way to reset the CMOS is just to pull that button battery out from the mobo & leave it out for a bit & put then put the battery back in, that should clear up what ever settings were stored.

Alternatively depending on your mobo model, there is a specific jumper pin you have to set to reset the CMOS (have to read your mobo instruction manual for that). Some of the higher end spec mobos have a switch/button for it, instead of a jumper.

Good luck with it.

On a different topic, my GTX-260+ card just arrived in post today :D

EDIT: got beaten to it.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Intersting. Usually when something like this happens at the end I always think Ive learnt something.

Tonight I havent.

Put the 9800gt gpu back in. Nothing.

Tried cmos battery method again. nothing.

Tried cmos jumpers. nothing.

I just cant put my finger on it.

That last screen I saw b4 all this happened did look pretty scary. Prolly fried something .

I even Tried clicking mouse buttons etc while the thing was running just to hear the HD running thru cycles. nothing again.

Intersting. Usually when something like this happens at the end I always think Ive learnt something.

Tonight I havent.

Put the 9800gt gpu back in. Nothing.

Tried cmos battery method again. nothing.

Tried cmos jumpers. nothing.

I just cant put my finger on it.

That last screen I saw b4 all this happened did look pretty scary. Prolly fried something .

I even Tried clicking mouse buttons etc while the thing was running just to hear the HD running thru cycles. nothing again.

well start with the obvious. change the power supply unit to another one, if its a matter of voltage regulation or fuses you'll know straight away...

next thing would be your motherboard but you'd have to find a place that has a spare thats compatible with your cpu and ram to eliminate that variable.

-D