SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

An opinion from a web browsing review site:

1. Opera 9.x - Most Secure Web Browser?

2. Internet Explorer 7.x

3. Safari 2.x

4. Firefox 2.0.x - Most Insecure Web Browser?

Flame away!

EDIT: Info is 18 mths old

hahahahah Pete 18months in the computer world is like 3 years irl

i see you didn't care to post the source either for credibility was it off a opera website

FF are pretty quick releasing updates to deal with any vulnerabilities compared to IE in the past. Also, if Opera had a bigger market share, I'm pretty sure more vulnerabilities would be found and exploited.

ATM I'm using the latest FF 3.1 beta (default browser) and ocassionaly IE8 which is quite zippy and stable now. Although, I found having dozens of certain Facebook pages open will generally crash any browser.

umm as far as i was aware...Firefox 3 or 3.5 was the most secure browser out there

and pete mentioned Firefox 2....so they would have had to fix those loopholes lol

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't looked at the hardware scene for a while and I'm gonna upgrade. For those who are interested in commenting on the components, please do.

The list is as follows.

New PC: Running Windows 7

Intel i7 920 CPU $415 LEADER

SAS 74gb Seagate HDD 15k RPM $318 LEADER

ASUS P6T Deluxe Motherboard $459 MSY

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 i7 Edition 6GB $169 PC Case Gear

HIS Hightech Radeon HD4830 512MB $156 PC Case Gear

New Server (from current hardware)

WD Caviar 1TB Black AV x2 $334 MSY

3xSATA Hotswap Bay (2x 5.25" bay) $150 LEADER

Gonna chuck RHEL 6 on the server and run raid1 TB as a filestore and use my current 36gb raptor as the OS drive

Anyone know any places I can get better prices ? :P

-D

When is this PC happening? Windows 7's ETA is towards the end of the year...

MSY is good for prices... when they actually have what you want in stock!

When is this PC happening? Windows 7's ETA is towards the end of the year...

MSY is good for prices... when they actually have what you want in stock!

ETA is end of year but RC1 comes out in a week or so and has a 12 month lifespan

PC is gonna happen in 4-6 weeks, hoping the prices come down a tad...

-D

Are you going to use RAID 0 for Windows 7?

Eventually. I'll use the one SAS drive to start with and then get the second a few weeks later (theyre a bit pricey)

New pc will be running Raid 0 74 GB Seagate 15k rpm's and a single 500 WD Green for non-backed up filestorage

New server will run off a SATA WD Raptor 36gb and then I'll raid 1 the terabyte drives and chuck em in a nice hot swap enclosure (both cases are rack mounted)

RHEL6 hasnt been released yet but I have it on pretty good authority that its only a couple months away. Can use 5.3 till then

-D

Eventually. I'll use the one SAS drive to start with and then get the second a few weeks later (theyre a bit pricey)

New pc will be running Raid 0 74 GB Seagate 15k rpm's and a single 500 WD Green for non-backed up filestorage

New server will run off a SATA WD Raptor 36gb and then I'll raid 1 the terabyte drives and chuck em in a nice hot swap enclosure (both cases are rack mounted)

RHEL6 hasnt been released yet but I have it on pretty good authority that its only a couple months away. Can use 5.3 till then

-D

Nice :D Those i7 920 CPU's OC pretty hard from what I've seen..... good value

Nice :D Those i7 920 CPU's OC pretty hard from what I've seen..... good value

Theyd better be.... theyre the only ones I can afford atm !

The mobo I'm getting is good for a few more generations of the i7 range as well as up to 24 gigs of ram and 3 way SLI, so plenty of room to upgrade later when the prices go down

-D

I can't wait for RC1 to come out.

I am gonna format and redo my Phenom machine and put W7 on 3 x 36Gb 10,000rwm Raptors in Raid 0, with 2 x 1Tb drives inside my LianLi box, and 2 x 1Tb WD Greens in my external e-SATA SuperBox - should do for storage for now - but Adam have just released that on May 17 they are effectively doubling their data allowances - I am currently on 60Gb - will change to 60Gb for use between 8am and midnight, then ANOTHER 60Gb between midnight and 8am. 120Gb of {mostly NewsBin/SABnzbd} data per month - swoit!

Hoping that W7 kicks ass on 3 x 36Gb raptors striped, even on a lowly Quad core Phemon 9500! If only the x86 would see more Ram I would add another 4Gb OCZ, but I can't be arsed getting x64 to work properly, as it is my daily/work machine, and Vista64 was a major headache.

Have also sourced a kick-ass 4850 1Gb card to upgrade my existing 256Mb GDDR3 3850 (which has been awesome to tell the truth).