SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Hoping that W7 kicks ass on 3 x 36Gb raptors striped, even on a lowly Quad core Phemon 9500! If only the x86 would see more Ram I would add another 4Gb OCZ, but I can't be arsed getting x64 to work properly, as it is my daily/work machine, and Vista64 was a major headache.

Have also sourced a kick-ass 4850 1Gb card to upgrade my existing 256Mb GDDR3 3850 (which has been awesome to tell the truth).

You'll find that most cpu's these days have the 64 bit command set and most people are chomping at the bit to use more than 3.5 gigs of ram (old XP limitation). Windows 7 will primarily be 64 bit I'm guessing since a) most cpus for the last 4 years can do 64 bit and b) people really really want to use loads of RAM, esp with the new i7 platform having 3 way memory (3x2 is what Im getting, will have the option to get another 3x2 for the other 3 slots - 12gigs entry level is phenomenal...

The only driver issues I can imagine are older hardware and certain USB devices. Logitech has been notoriously shithouse for 64 drivers before but I'm interested to see how they treat their customers once W7 is out (I have logitech mice, kb, speakers, joystick, webcam etc - excellent hardware but the driver support (used to) leave a lot to be desired..)

Im really looking forward to this new system. has been 5 years since I upgraded - I'm rather proud of that, and my AMD3200/1gb/36gb raptor will make a sweeet linux box

oh and ive managed to scrounge a dds drive out of spare bits so I has me a tape backup unit too

Going for a cheap vidcard atm since all I play is world of warcraft and that should do it easily... will get a dual SLI beast later on when the next hardcore 3d shooter gets released no doubt hehe

-D

W7 x64 is awesome ive had no drama's with the release i used

this is the video card i bought at christmas time

>>gigabyte 4850 1gb OC<<

that's the exact card I'm running Steve........and yes Andrew, 64bit Vista is a real pain (never had this many issues with XP) but what else do you do if you want lots of memory?!

I just built my system about a month back and using this card: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=8103

That is the EXACT card I am hoping to get. Are you happy with it Vu?

If I get it, it will cost me $200 with 1.5 years warranty still left on it. And I should easily be able to get $100 for my 3850 (since it is an awesome card that plays Crysis at very high res with no problems), so it is a great value upgrade.

Yeah I'm happy - havent got a game I couldnt play yet! Can play Far Cry 2 and Fall Out 3 on max settings @ 1920x1080(max res) and crysis on the same res but with recommended settings. Although I just mainly play CSS anyways lol

Looks sweet as in the Antec 900 case aswell :D

In your case for $100 thats a heaps good bargain!

First test I raked in 244fps, 2nd and 3rd I got 213fps and last one I got 215.90fps...

Max settings, 1920x1080res, 8x AA - what do you mean by unlocked CPU?

What scores you getting Steve?

I cant quiet remember i will post up when i get home, will test for both win xp 32bit and win7 64bit

With cpu i said unclocked so at its factory speed settings

You'll find that most cpu's these days have the 64 bit command set and most people are chomping at the bit to use more than 3.5 gigs of ram (old XP limitation). Windows 7 will primarily be 64 bit I'm guessing since a) most cpus for the last 4 years can do 64 bit and b) people really really want to use loads

i understood about 3 words in that :P