SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

tried, no worky. When i reboot, i can very very feintly see the COMPAQ logo. Im on HP chat Support with Paul apparently, hes very professional. See what he comes up with.

My work laptop (this one I'm on now) randomally without warning does weird shit where the screen goes either black or pink and I lose whatever I might have been working on. Have to force off and reboot and then it works again.

help desk just had my reseat the RAM. still no worky. see what they come up with next.

SO, i connected a secondary screen and ran Primary Hard Disk Self Test, results are "#2 - 07 Fail". HP tells me i need to purchase a new hard drive. I dont see how that affects my display tho?

Can you access anything on the drive, I'm assuming you can because you ran the disk test? With the second screen plugged in can you access Windows or is it not booting from the drive at all?

If so I'd get any or all data off of it while you still can.

Ok so i managed to ferry files from my laptop to work pc via USB. Looking at HDD's, Western Digital 2.5" 250G, $88 from MSY. is this what i need?

yeah but make sure you get the right one (IDE or SATA)

If you're going for a new HDD, get one with high rpm (7200 minimum) you'll notice a huge performance gain on the 5200 rpm drives. Get a Solid state drive if you can afford it. They have the best performance but they are rather expensive unfortunately...

-D

EDIT - I still cant fathom why a hard drive fault would cause your screen to stop working... I smell shenanigans

Edited by Dohmar

RE: your Edit: thats what i was thinking, i asked this from HP help, and they said the OS might control the video... pretty open ended answer. My comp still seems to work fine, maybe ill run Preimary Disk check again to double check.

RE: your Edit: thats what i was thinking, i asked this from HP help, and they said the OS might control the video... pretty open ended answer. My comp still seems to work fine, maybe ill run Preimary Disk check again to double check.

thats bullshit

the BIOS controls the video until the operating systems driver overrides it. call them up again, cut sick and demand that you speak to someone who isnt incompetent

-D

i got this email back from them:

Hello Damien,

Thank you for contacting HP e-Solutions.

This e-mail is with reference to Service Incident id: 1953674 for Compaq Presario C554TU Notebook PC.

I understand that the display is very dim, but there is display on an external monitor. Also, the hard drive failed the test from BIOS with completion code 7.

The notebook needs to be repaired to resolve the issue. Our records show that the warranty of the notebook expired on 26 Apr 2008 and hence the service is chargeable.

Please provide the following details to setup a service event:.................

So i said:

Hello,

So all I need is a replacement Hard Disk Drive? Or is the screen a different issue?

Reply:

The issue with the dim display can be resolved only by replacing the display panel as there is display in external monitor, but very dim display on the notebook.

Please e-mail us the above requested information. We will be glad to further assist you.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

Technical Support Engineer-HP e-Solutions

sounds good, WD is a reputable brand (one of the best)

-D

+1

i have 5 x 500gb hard drives , 1 x 640gb hard drive and 1 x 1tb hard drive , all western digital .

never had a problem with them ever !

I too have always used WD drives and out of my own PC's and the many I've built or fixed over the years I've never seen a single dead WD drive.

Got myself a WD 1.0TB harddrive for my video surveillance at home :)

Now I should be able to record for a full week! :D

:)