SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Harvey Norman have a 1TB External HDD for $192, i think its Maxtor.

Im not convinced my screen is cactus, i can still see the display, very feintly however. I would have thought that when its stuffed, its black, or bizarre lines in obscure places, etc.

Harvey Norman have a 1TB External HDD for $192, i think its Maxtor.

Im not convinced my screen is cactus, i can still see the display, very feintly however. I would have thought that when its stuffed, its black, or bizarre lines in obscure places, etc.

the screen LCD's might be fine, but it sounds like the backlight has died.

-D

I have been through a chain of companies, HP says ring them, they say ring them, was finally referred to CompuClinic on South Rd. They are gonna charge me $55 for a quote, 3-4 business days. Anyone here wanna beat it? lol.

I googled "free quote computer repair Adelaide" and got onto a bloke who listed his services on gumtree.com. Name is Patrick, just starting out, and hell come to my house to look at it for no cost... Dunno how trustworthy this is, he doesn't have a business name or anything.

I googled "free quote computer repair Adelaide" and got onto a bloke who listed his services on gumtree.com. Name is Patrick, just starting out, and hell come to my house to look at it for no cost... Dunno how trustworthy this is, he doesn't have a business name or anything.

Dude thats shithouse

Call up Notepaq - they do repairs only on laptops and are really good and affordable. Can't remember the name of the bloke who runs it (vietnamese chap) but he always looks after ya

They used to be located on Torrens Road after the Bombay Bicycle Club but they might have moved to Ward St, North Adelaide

-D

Damo are you sure you haven't accidentally activated some 'super power saving' mode, which makes the backlight switch off? I take it you are running off a power supply, not battery - are you sure it is working properly?

Not going with Patrick, needless to say.

Andrew - im sure, i had just finished burning some PDF's, came back to it and it the screen was dull. Laptop is always connected to AC, the battery is old and has about 3-4 mins standalone life from full charge.

Went through the Yellow pages, contacted a bloke who is around the corner from my house. He thinks its the backlight as well, so is getting me a price to supply and fit a new one today, and will go to MSY for my to pick up the HDD and fit it if im happy with the total quote. Sounds alright to me.

Does anyone know if you can use an iPhone as a modem on a pc?

My Internet is throttled because of download limit but I have heaps of data with optus on my iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

u sure can, i use mine as a modem for my eee pc when my dsl goes down.

need to jb it, and there are a few applications that u can use to share the internard from the iphone either by usb cable, or using the iphone as a wifi router

hit whorlpool forums for moar info

u sure can, i use mine as a modem for my eee pc when my dsl goes down.

need to jb it, and there are a few applications that u can use to share the internard from the iphone either by usb cable, or using the iphone as a wifi router

hit whorlpool forums for moar info

i also use my sony ericsson k850i for nextG broadband via a bluetooth connection to the EEE... gotta love having a backup for adsl heh

-D

Ok thanks I check it out.

Does ADSL stop alot these days?

Back in 2005 before I moved here I had 256k ADSL1, however I lived around the corner from the exchange (Modbury). even though it was only 256k it seemed alot quicker to act than my 2.5mbps wireless :)

But it never missed a beat, isnt it the same these days?

PS. what does "jb it" mean? lol

Thanks for the help guys but I think I will just wait (and/or browse on the iphone itself) until the next billing cycle starts.

Not too keen on voiding the waranty on a $800, 2-3 month old phone lol

My old Nokia, you could just plug it in and I would be online in a few clicks....

EDIT: Just another 6 days of this: :)

473119775.png

Edited by 93GTST

Which will also void your warranty :D

Three dont give enough data to use phone as modem but this phone works fine by itself here

if u read thru the forums, there are a couple of dudes that have sent jb'd phones to apple, and had no problems. its pretty easy to restore the OS back to its origional state in any case... very hard to brick an iPhone, unless u throw it at something that is

my logitech keyboard has gone nuts!!

with a single keystroke multiple charachters appear, none of which are the one that i pressed. apparently it is a know issue, and they released a firmware update for the wireless reciever.... i have tried that, but it didnt fix sh!t

here is what i have tried in my troubleshooting:

-remove logitech driver

-uninstall setpoint (the software that controls the keyboard n mouse)

-run setpoint without the reciever update

-boot in safe mode

-disable antivirus

and also all combinations of the above.

the mouse remains unnafected, and my PS2 keyboard is running fine (but it sucks)

it behaves in the same manner on Vista, XP professional and windoxs 7 RC.

i have posted up on the logitech forums and been thouroughly ignored... so i emailed them, and we'll see if they can resolve it...

anyone else got any ideas?