SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

I am a girl 13/f/cali names Karly.

OMG, a real girl on the net.....wanna cyber :P

Surprising how many people are buying core i7 systems at the moment.

OMG, a real girl on the net.....wanna cyber :P

Surprising how many people are buying core i7 systems at the moment.

They are expensive but they have insane performance. And they have the VT bit which is all important for running KVM.. was playing around with virtualisation on a Core2Duo and I was surprised at how fast SBS 2003 was running under a linux QEMU session (using KVM hooks).... i7 should totally own for entry level virtualisation servers

I'm gonna get one later in the year but not till Win7 is out

-D

Just got my new i7 system up and running. Sweet as baby, running Windows 7 build 7264 and not a hitch! Now to see how this baby clocks!

Problem.

comp is having some sort of fit.

Turn the comp on and let it warm up, I do this for some reason.

Head back into the room and its blank.

reset bios. mb battery etc,

now I have the message " blah blah windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. run cd to repair file. etc etc along the lines of this. Ive fixed something similar before but cant figure this out. any help please ? alot of music was just about to be saved on external drive. good timing

Seen something like that before so I'm guessing you'll have to take your c:\ drive out (you'll need a second computer to install this drive into) and get your windows directory out of a folder which will be more than likely hidden.

Problem.

comp is having some sort of fit.

Turn the comp on and let it warm up, I do this for some reason.

Head back into the room and its blank.

reset bios. mb battery etc,

now I have the message " blah blah windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. run cd to repair file. etc etc along the lines of this. Ive fixed something similar before but cant figure this out. any help please ? alot of music was just about to be saved on external drive. good timing

If its windows xp, put the disk in the drive, boot off of it. Once it has loaded up you should be able to make a selection to do a repair via the command console/repair console - so load that. Once that has loaded do a chkdsk /r (exactly like i have written it) on your c drive, and you should be able to get windows to load off of your hard drive again.

If its windows xp, put the disk in the drive, boot off of it. Once it has loaded up you should be able to make a selection to do a repair via the command console/repair console - so load that. Once that has loaded do a chkdsk /r (exactly like i have written it) on your c drive, and you should be able to get windows to load off of your hard drive again.

Ill have a crack. done everything you mentioned already. chkdsk. all the repair commands I scrolled and played with.

However havent tried /r

give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Cheers

A straight chkdsk does jack all, a chkdsk /r does a recovery of bad sectors etc. We use that command alot at work for pc's that come in and wont boot into windows - works 75% of the time, if that doesn't work we run a bad sector repair, if that doesn't work another chkdsk /r, and if it still doesn't work, a windows reinstall is needed or a new hard drive with a windows reinstall.

A straight chkdsk does jack all, a chkdsk /r does a recovery of bad sectors etc. We use that command alot at work for pc's that come in and wont boot into windows - works 75% of the time, if that doesn't work we run a bad sector repair, if that doesn't work another chkdsk /r, and if it still doesn't work, a windows reinstall is needed or a new hard drive with a windows reinstall.

yeah just remembered ive tried that. didnt work. might give it a go again tho.

there is another chkdsk command too that I tried. Didnt work either.

Going to be pretty pissed is I havce to format C;

Harddrive into old comp might be the go. grab the folder I want then reinstall

what is the blah blah?

there could be lotsa things that have caused this, have you tested the hard drive with the manufacturers tools?

have you gone into the repair consol and done a fixmbr and fixboot?

taken out all other hdd's including your external drive and tryed to reboot again.. sometimes people dont know but their external HDD can take boot priority and will stop your PC from booting

anyhow, try those, see how it goes

Tried everything. Looks like im going to format C.

Really sucks. really pissed tbh. Lost alot of stuff I was about to backup.

Golden gun in cod4 too :D

Maybe plug the harddrive into my other comp ? Will it work as a normal drive even with a OS running on it ?

Tried everything. Looks like im going to format C.

Really sucks. really pissed tbh. Lost alot of stuff I was about to backup.

Golden gun in cod4 too :D

Maybe plug the harddrive into my other comp ? Will it work as a normal drive even with a OS running on it ?

Yes

There are a lot of things u can do before needing to format the drive - have you got a USB ext HDD caddy?

-D

Yes

There are a lot of things u can do before needing to format the drive - have you got a USB ext HDD caddy?

-D

yep.

Im not going to reformat yet. Bit of an adventure actually. Even tho im pissed of I guess im learning more.