SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Very true. although it still uses more RAM than xp if its available. I normally disable superfetch and anything else thats likely to thrash my hard drive. Had a hard drive die after 4 months of using Vista (the drive is only 3-4 years old). Doesn't make sense to thrash the hard drive 24/7 just so I can open firefox 0.2seconds quicker the first time it loads.

I'm running the win7 RC - it doesn't expire until next June so I have until then to either buy it or go back to vista (gee, hard choice).

This is coming from someone who only used Linux at home over the last 7-8 years...decided to try vista and now win7 and I find its not too bad.

Btw, got my HTC Magic last night (Google Android phone). All I can say is, this thing is awesome!!

I've already got the SDK + eclipse (all free) and I intend to create some apps for it. Need to learn java but I'm an old hat with C, C++, python, perl (I work as a computer programmer) so it shouldn't be too difficult. The examples look easy enough. I love the fact that you can create apps that tie the features of other apps together. ie. you have GPS and you have a note-taking app, why not link them so you can associate notes with physical places? etc.

If you haven't seen/heard of android yet, its because there's only a couple of phones available with it (and the OS is still new and in development). But thats all about to change because almost every major phone manufacturer except apple currently have an android phone in the works. This includes, Sony Ericsson, LG, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, and a few others.

Essentially android can do everything the iphone can do, except that its more "open"...meaning there's no restriction on what apps you can run on it and its much less restrictive to get your apps onto the android market (and free!). There are pros and cons, but basically, you will either care a lot, or you wont care at all. The differences between them is much like the differences between the parent companies - Google and Apple. Google aims for openness and freedom whereas apple controls everything tightly in order to protect their user experience (which I believe is top notch from what I've heard). Which phone you prefer largely comes down to which side of this coin you find yourself.

You would be surprised Dion win7 isn't as resourse hungry as vista

my computer is pretty much the one I got from Blue Mouse when I used to work there. Its got:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

512MB DDR (used to have 1GB but one stick died)

160GB IDE HDD

ATi Radeon 3200 256MB PCI-e

LG DVD Reader

Pioneer 16X DL DVD Burner (Both IDE)

XP Home

I don't really see much point in upgrading - I only use it to web browse and type things lol.

I do have a new notebook though - a full size one. Which is dual-core athlon, vista premium etc etc.

This is what im getting next week.

Quad core. 2.66

Superflower box with PSU. 23cm fan.

4gig ddr2 800 kingston ram.

ASUS se2 motherboard.

All for $530, which is a nice price.

Im trying to con MSY into chuckin in Winxp and totalling the quote to $600.

They wont budge, They say I need to buy a HD on the same Invoice in order to grab the OS.

Whats the best way to get my hands on XP without buying a HD as I dont need one. ?

Edited by PREISS

Whats the best way to get my hands on XP without buying a HD as I dont need one. ?

Use whatever license is on your current PC, technically not legal but no one will know unless they come and look at both of your PC's.

It will update fine and everything.

Try some other stores to see if they will sell you OEM licensing.

This is what im getting next week.

Quad core. 2.66

Superflower box with PSU. 23cm fan.

4gig ddr2 800 kingston ram.

ASUS se2 motherboard.

All for $530, which is a nice price.

Im trying to con MSY into chuckin in Winxp and totalling the quote to $600.

They wont budge, They say I need to buy a HD on the same Invoice in order to grab the OS.

Usually ram also qualifies you to buy an OEM product, however they may have changed it - in either case, I'm sure there are people out there willing to sell you their old xp licences cheap

-D

I got a copy of XP pro from Ebay a couple months ago. Fully sealed etc. new new.

Worked fine. for a couple weeks.

Ill just get the cheap $50 hdd with the system. less hassle.

Old copies and borrowed copies dont always update. sick of stuffing around with comps. just want it nice and lovely.

well came across a benchmark for the 5770 in crossfire mode and to say the least my 4850 1gb in crossfire pulls better figures ;)

there test system

Windows Vista SP1 Test System:

* Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 (3.00GHz)

* Gigabyte X38T-DQ6 motherboard

* 2 x 1GB DDR3-1333 Aeneon memory in dual channel mode

* Seagate 7200.10 200GB SATA hard drive

* Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1

Mine

Windows 7 Ultimate (retail) Test System:

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.3GHz)

* Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard

* 2 x 2GB DDR2- 1066 Team Xtreem Dark memory in dual channel mode

* 2x 320gb WD

There score

3dmark-noAA-1.gif3dmark-AA-1.gif

Mine: 18916 1280x1024 no aa no fsaa >>Here<< << running earlier overclock @ 3.4ghz

15786 1920x1080 4x aa 8x fsaa >>Here<<

>>5770 review source<<

A few months ago, a customer left a Aspire 5315 laptop at work as the screen was broken. I managed to grab it, then another customer left a HP Laptop as the Motherboard was shot, well today i took the CPU from the HP and put it into the Aspire...now i have a pretty decent but basic carpc for free :P. As the LCD screen is cracked, i just use the AUX VGA output to my 24", eventually it will go to a 7" touchscreen in my car.

Acer Aspire 5315 originally had had an Intel 550 Celeron, then with a bios update, it could support quite a few different CPU's. The HP had a Intel T5250 Dual Core, sure a basic Dual Core, but better then a Celeron. So the Acer Aspire is now running 1.5gb Ram, a Intel T5250, and the 40gb Hard Drive from my PS3...i may either swap it for a SSD, or a mid size 2.5" Hard Drive (250-500gb).

Now i just need to figure out how to connect a touch pad via USB, which i may or may not do, but would be handy to have.

Edited by Aberax

You would be surprised Dion win7 isn't as resourse hungry as vista

+1 million

I removed XP off my Asus eee 901.... installed Windows 7 Ultimate...

and its twice as fast as XP... boots in about 10 seconds vs 40 odd, and even has all the eye candy enabled...

only driver issue i've had so far is the bluetooth driver for certain functions on my sony ericsson k850i

but it works with the usb dvb-t dongle for the eee in media centre no problem... consult cable and software works well too

configured win7 to tether to my k850i and dial nextG broadband for internet, works a treat...

<3 win7

-D

hahahah we have converted the atheist :down:

who? not me...I've been using the win7 beta on my desktop since it came out - was merely impressed that the eee runs it better than XP

-D