SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

oh i was pretty sure that you didn't like M$ and were almost sworn off there products

my mistake

nah thats the other bloke... while i am a linux engineer and am an advocate of open source, I don't have the same hatred some people do of microsoft products. Generally most things they do, they do well. If anyones had to play around with any other unnamed operating systems, they'd realized theres shortcomings in all operating systems and each one has their role to play. People are still using AS/400, QNX, OS/2 and Novell ffs...

Got Win7 ultimate on the eee901, works spectacularly. Boots quicker than the release candidate which is on my quad core i7 with 12 gigs of ram tbh, but thats due to the SSD. Have fedora 12 linux dual booting on the same laptop and they take around the same time to load. While the ssd's dont load as quickly as the firmware on my hacked linksys wrt54gs (with embedded dd-wrt linux booting in 5 seconds) they are a hell of an upgrade over conventional drives

oh and i love having a free copy of windows ultimate thanks to work. *thumbs up*

-D

Is it for sale?

We got the OEM's of Windows 7 in today at work...and they are at a decent price too.

Pro is less then $200

not bad i bought win7 home Premium 64bit for Dad for $145

yeah some people go over the top with there love hate of software

Only if you're buying from mp3car :P

:(... :D

I will be looking at one that mounts in the center console part, shall be replacing my cd/dvd/radio with it. Dont have the money for one at the moment anyway. Hopefully late this year or early next.

Hey guys remember a while ago how I had a 3 month old Acer Aspire notebook running Vista Premium which lost its balls regarding sound? Well I had to end up re-installing Vista to get sound back. Now tonight, out of nowhere (just like the sound thing), I can no longer use the onboard keyboard and touchpad. WTF. Seriously. I can assure you not one hint of dodgey activies are undertaken on that notebook, but it seems to lose its shit on a regular basis.....

You have an external kb/mouse you can try, or a live boot cd of some OS.

Normally kb/touchpad would be a hardware fault but worth a shot, still got warranty?

Unless he turned the touchpad off with one of the FN keys - could be the USB host adaptor getting screwed up. Does the laptop have PS2 ports? Does it work with external mouse/kb?

-D

You have an external kb/mouse you can try, or a live boot cd of some OS.

Normally kb/touchpad would be a hardware fault but worth a shot, still got warranty?

The keyboard works outside of Windows - like boot menu etc.

Its 4 months old.

Unless he turned the touchpad off with one of the FN keys - could be the USB host adaptor getting screwed up. Does the laptop have PS2 ports? Does it work with external mouse/kb?

-D

No PS2 ports. I plugged a USB mouse in which worked fine, I went into device manager and Generic PnP Display, AMD Athlon 64 X2 QM-64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 QM-64 (its in there twice) and PCI Standard to ISA Bridge all have yellow triangles next to them. If I uninstall all of them and reboot it reinstalls the drivers but they still have the yellow mark. All of them say Code 37 Windows could not initialise the drivers.

I am so fkn over this, thats why I bought a new one to get away from all the shit my other notebook and this desktop were dishing out.

Its a Acer Aspire 5536, Athlon 64X2 4200+, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD.

http://www.acer.com.au/acer/product.do?lin...wrAjaxHistory=0

Sorry mate, buy IMHO Acer lappies are pieces of junk and you get exactly what you pay for .... so in the case of an Acer Eeepc how come I paid like $600 for my little E901 with Atom 900Mhz CPU, 20Gb HDD and 1Gb of ram, yet I am willing to bet you didn't pay much more yet got a 15" screen, dual core CPU, 4 x more ram and 16x bigger HDD .... answer is they cut the costs and build cheap POSs for normal lappies .... EeePC is the only Acer I would touch.

Full format and reinstall for you would be the best bet Dion. And don't run the proprietary Acer version of Windows - get a PC guy who knows what he is doing to put a decent version on there without all the bloatware.

Yeah I mean I gotta admit Ive have found Acer's stuff okay but yeah. The retail on the one I got was $1100ish

I guess I'll put Windows 7 on it then.

FFS I did a full reinstall a month ago to get the freakin sound working.

Couple of options.

Head to the Acer site and see if new drivers are out.

and

All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (right click it) > Run as Administrator.

at the command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" <enter> (no quotes)

This will verify all windows system files & drivers. (<< this has been reported to fix other peoples kb/mouse problems on acers)

And yes, if you're running Acer OEM windows I feel sorry for you :)

EDIT>>

Scrub all of that, if you have W7 to put on then go for it. Replacing Vista is the best fix you could do.

Edited by nicr4wks

Sorry mate, buy IMHO Acer lappies are pieces of junk and you get exactly what you pay for .... so in the case of an Acer Eeepc how come I paid like $600 for my little E901 with Atom 900Mhz CPU, 20Gb HDD and 1Gb of ram, yet I am willing to bet you didn't pay much more yet got a 15" screen, dual core CPU, 4 x more ram and 16x bigger HDD .... answer is they cut the costs and build cheap POSs for normal lappies .... EeePC is the only Acer I would touch.

Full format and reinstall for you would be the best bet Dion. And don't run the proprietary Acer version of Windows - get a PC guy who knows what he is doing to put a decent version on there without all the bloatware.

yo andrew

i think you mean Asus EEEPc..... and a 901 has a atom 1.6 cpu, the 900mhz cpus were the earlier versions.

Asus make EEE's and other laptops and they are exceptional build quality in all cases.

Acer make shit products.

Clarified?

I just finished modifying a custom bios for my eee901 to replace the bootup splash bios screen with my company's corporate logo... looks dope

-D

EDIT - And nic's right, Windows 7 uber alles

Couple of options.

Head to the Acer site and see if new drivers are out.

and

All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (right click it) > Run as Administrator.

at the command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" <enter> (no quotes)

This will verify all windows system files & drivers. (<< this has been reported to fix other peoples kb/mouse problems on acers)

And yes, if you're running Acer OEM windows I feel sorry for you :)

EDIT>>

Scrub all of that, if you have W7 to put on then go for it. Replacing Vista is the best fix you could do.

Cheers I'll give it a go.

I dont have W7, but I could get it.

Cheers I'll give it a go.

I dont have W7, but I could get it.

Whoooo!

It worked! It said it couldnt repair some things and left it into a log which I can't access but the touchpad and keyboard works again!!!

Thanks Nick :)

Doh had a blonde moment there Ben - yes of course my EeePC is Asus, not Acer - damn company names so similar!

Oh, so my 901 is a 1.6 ..... no wonder it is so quick - I was thoroughly impressed with the speed at which it runs lastXP 22 .... it truly flies. Makes more sense now I know the CPU has a fair bit more power than I thought. And yes (before you start), one day will buy a bigger SSD and chuck Win7 on it as per your recommendation Ben - but for now LastXP is doing just fine (I only use it for web browsing). :)

Doh had a blonde moment there Ben - yes of course my EeePC is Asus, not Acer - damn company names so similar!

Oh, so my 901 is a 1.6 ..... no wonder it is so quick - I was thoroughly impressed with the speed at which it runs lastXP 22 .... it truly flies. Makes more sense now I know the CPU has a fair bit more power than I thought. And yes (before you start), one day will buy a bigger SSD and chuck Win7 on it as per your recommendation Ben - but for now LastXP is doing just fine (I only use it for web browsing). :)

do it sooner rather than later - new ssd opens up many possibilities. my eee boots win7 in 20 fkn seconds... quick as

$220 for runcore 32gb ssd

$165 approx for Win 7 Home Premium (Tho Im running ultimate, home premium is all anyone needs)

$60 bluetooth mouse

$60 2gb ram upgrade

$60 eee HDTV dongle

= win

and yeah not only is it 1.6ghz, its also hyperthreaded and uses less power than the 900mhz cpus did. Also, the intel 945 is the baseline chipset required for a decent windows 'experience' as they rate windows benchmarks nowdays

-D

Does an eee even play 720/1080p to require a hdtv dongle?

and msdn ftw!.

no it doesnt, but the capability is there incase u want to buy the dongle for a standard system with a big monitor - it just has software and drivers for the default eee linux distro ... aside from that its a standard usb dongle... but it works well with win7 media centre and myTV under fedora linux

Btw andrew I'm considering upgrading my ssd again to a bigger version, could do u my current one a tad cheaper than what I paid for it if you're interested

-D