SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

hey guys, have just moved to sa (christies) from qld. just wondering, is MSY "it" for pc bits in sa?

where i lived i had a choice of umart and msy, but msy were always ultra shithouse in terms of customer service and actually getting exactly the parts you were after...

going to be chasing some i7 goodness in a few months i reckon! time to start researching again! :down:

I will say it again. I personally use Allneeds computers. Wayyyyyyy better service for the same price or just a bit more (and even sometimes less) & if you have a warranty issue they WILL help you out.

Just try & do the same thing at some of the MSY stores & see what happens......

I just finished Stalker Pripyat last night .... awesome game. COS and CS were good too, but Pripyat melds the best of both together. You are lucky you are playing CS now - I bought it the day it came out and couldn't even play it, it was so full of bugs. Took no less than 5 patches (which erased my saved games each time) to finish the game (so I played around 3200 hours all up believe it or not). I have NEVER had so many blue screens of death in my life. I followed the Russian forum chatter closely and everyone was having the same issues - they released the game under significant time pressure and barely beta tested it at all.

I played all 3 with my single 4850 1Gb and they managed, but only just. Pripyat is the most demanding - at 1920x1200 with everything set high it did struggle in the big battle scenes.

I've actually had CS for nearly a year now, never actually updated it, suppose I should have though. Ran a lot smoother once I OC'd my i7 to 3.2GHz, but with Direct X 10.1 switched on, it still struggles with heavily detailed active scenes with things like heavy rain, looks spectacularly realistic though.

Depends if the version you bought was fully patched or not - it might be fully done. If so you are lucky. You will know when you get to some of the missions in the Red Forest, as you won't be able to complete them, and you will find MEGA amounts of ammo keep spawning in the ammo boxes there. That was one of the last patches, so if you get through the Red Forest ok then you are fine and will be able to finish the game. If not you have to start from scratch, as the patch to fix it is not compatible with any past game saves.

Depends if the version you bought was fully patched or not - it might be fully done. If so you are lucky. You will know when you get to some of the missions in the Red Forest, as you won't be able to complete them, and you will find MEGA amounts of ammo keep spawning in the ammo boxes there. That was one of the last patches, so if you get through the Red Forest ok then you are fine and will be able to finish the game. If not you have to start from scratch, as the patch to fix it is not compatible with any past game saves.

u completed modern warfare 2 yet andrew?

-D

cheers mate :down:

o rly?! am scoping specs now... thanks for the details about IT Warehouse too :)

probably also worth mentioning skytech on prospect road.... they do a bit of retail and the owner is a pretty good bloke... not sure how good their technicians are atm but they have some of the cheapest burnable media in adelaide

-D

u completed modern warfare 2 yet andrew?

-D

I have completed story mode, but gaming on console is null and void to you pc gamers :P

Speaking of console gaming, PS3 pre-slim versions had a leap year bug. People all over the world weren't able to access online gaming! COD withdrawals!

Wouldnt be surprised if we hear of a school massacre from USA today.

I've finished it on veteran ages ago too.

I remember when MW1 came out, I never bought it but my mate did and the other guys including me borrowed it and clocked it before he did :)

I've been hooked on CSS ALOT lately, atleast 4 hours of CS per workday after work and much longer on weekends lol saves me from doing anything else that chews up my GTR funds... de_dust1 nom nom nom nom nom

Oh and no problems here with MSY, my whole computer built ground up with most of the parts from MSY Holden Hill and Plympton... only issue I've had was the Antec Signature Series power supply I bought from MSY Holden Hill, was that excited about it had to take a squiz at the goodness when I jumped in the car and the thing has already been open, wires were everywhere, had a PHAT scratch on top of it... step back inside and exchanged it for another one which definitely was new and sealed.

I'm back into CS 1.6 haha... actually, I never really gave it up. Being playing that shit since the pre 1.5 days. Can't get enough of it!

Not a fan of Source... I find 1.6 alot more challenging haha. Source made the head hitboxes bigger, so it's easier to get a headshot in css.

I started playing since 1.5 aswell but for the last few years I've only played a few times a year until the past month been getting back into hard to chew up time haha

6 core CPU's on the way with 8 core not too far away either

Intel i7 980X Extreme Edition (you know that's gonna hurt the wallet)

i love the looks of the stock heat sink and fan on the new core

>>Source<<

Die_Map.jpg

Heatsink.jpg

Isn't the i9 going to be 8 cores?

Apparently being released Q1 this year.

There may be a 8 core version..cant remember now, but most will be 6 core + HT.

apparently multi core cpu's come into there own for video encoding

They do indeed. Encoding a 720p HD video on Nero used to take about an hour for a 10 minute video on my old single core, now it takes about 12-15 minutes on the quad for a 1080p. Wouldn't mind trying some games that make use of 2 or more cores.

Funnily enough, Windows proceeded to boot up with my old Win7 RC install, and after some driver installation and a restart, it was all working fine :blink: I would have thought a complete reformat would have been necessary, but no, Windows 7 seems to really be that good!

Weird - when I did almost the same thing recently (major upgrade - m/b, cpu, ram, v/card), my existing Win7 RC failed to boot, couldn't repair itself and I spent way too long trying to fix it. In the end I gave up and did a fresh reinstall.

From past experience its usually HD controller drivers that mess this up - but its been so long since I was into that stuff.

Interestingly, in my case Linux (opensuse) booted back up on the new hardware without a hassle - just had to switch to the ATI driver for my new video card (previously nvidia) and all was well. :)

Edited by pixel8r

Weird - when I did almost the same thing recently (major upgrade - m/b, cpu, ram, v/card), my existing Win7 RC failed to boot, couldn't repair itself and I spent way too long trying to fix it. In the end I gave up and did a fresh reinstall.

From past experience its usually HD controller drivers that mess this up - but its been so long since I was into that stuff.

Probably just a case of hit and miss, and also might depend on brands used.