SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Heres a question for you FROM an I.T professional (just to answer a question with a question)... How do you find Adam. We tend to deal with iinet and internode... Definitely the industry standard (apart from telstra if you really really REALLY rich). I can't say I personally would be able to give you an opinion, apart from the fact that your not going to really notice any speed change. At the end of the day, the limiting factor is how far away you live from the exchange. Internode however, tend to offer better support. I look at different deals all the time, and my opinion changes daily. My recommendation is to go with internode on a non-contracted plan... Capping on internet is not going to last much longer after all :wacko:

We use Adam for our business, although they have had a few outages during the day recently which has been annoying, so we've incorporated a Internode redundant connection for when Adam goes down.

At the end of the day, the limiting factor is how far away you live from the exchange. Internode however, tend to offer better support. I look at different deals all the time, and my opinion changes daily. My recommendation is to go with internode on a non-contracted plan... Capping on internet is not going to last much longer after all :wacko:

Wholeheartedly agree that distance from the exchange, and the providers on the exchange really define what providers you can be with natively, and your overall performance expectations.

I'm not sure I agree with the assertion that capping on the internet is not going to last much longer, however. Given where Australia is in the grand scheme of the internet, our distances, cabling costs, etc, I think we're always going to have some limitations around our internet usage. Also consider how many providers in the states are now starting to put limits around their users usage.

The reality is that internet costs money, and as content sizes are increasing the infrastructure of the internet has to grow to support it - and the internet was never really designed with this sort of structure in mind. This is why more and more sites are moving towards a distributed architecture (essentially, CDN-based technology) - to provide redundancy & get the content closer to the user.

Having all of a particular sites data come into a central hub basically doesn't scale. You end up putting all your eggs into one basket, and then relying on the underlying telcos having sufficient capacity to carry that data from you to users. By pushing your content closer to the edge (and the more sites that you distribute the content the better), you're going to provide a better user experience (throughput over a single TCP session is directly related to latency).

I can talk about this stuff all day - it's my bread and butter really (I've been working in a mix of the ISP/Telco/Hosting industry for well over a decade).

We use Adam for our business, although they have had a few outages during the day recently which has been annoying, so we've incorporated a Internode redundant connection for when Adam goes down.

What business :wacko:

Wholeheartedly agree that distance from the exchange, and the providers on the exchange really define what providers you can be with natively, and your overall performance expectations.

I'm not sure I agree with the assertion that capping on the internet is not going to last much longer, however. Given where Australia is in the grand scheme of the internet, our distances, cabling costs, etc, I think we're always going to have some limitations around our internet usage. Also consider how many providers in the states are now starting to put limits around their users usage.

The reality is that internet costs money, and as content sizes are increasing the infrastructure of the internet has to grow to support it - and the internet was never really designed with this sort of structure in mind. This is why more and more sites are moving towards a distributed architecture (essentially, CDN-based technology) - to provide redundancy & get the content closer to the user.

Having all of a particular sites data come into a central hub basically doesn't scale. You end up putting all your eggs into one basket, and then relying on the underlying telcos having sufficient capacity to carry that data from you to users. By pushing your content closer to the edge (and the more sites that you distribute the content the better), you're going to provide a better user experience (throughput over a single TCP session is directly related to latency).

I can talk about this stuff all day - it's my bread and butter really (I've been working in a mix of the ISP/Telco/Hosting industry for well over a decade).

Hmm, I agree to some extent, but already many companies are offering uncapped internet for around the $150 a month mark when bundled with home phone and mobile. There is no other country in the world that I know of that caps there internet (not for the past 5 years or so anyways). We are WAAAAAAAAAAAY behind. It will become essencially free, or to the point that its so cheap that it might as well be uncapped. We are not far off it. We are actually getting limited by speed more so then download limit with caps these days. I dont have time to download 1tb a month by myself :S And to be honest, if you do, you need to work harder, especially considering all the hard drives you need to store that data. Im running a server on raid, my pc, a notebook and a netbook totalling about 5tb's... thats 5 months of downloads... I pretty much have all the music, games, movies and **hmm** adult content that I can think of on 2tbs...

Bottomline... Spend the extra money on something valuable... LIKE YOUR CAR :wacko:

LOL, I'd be happy with 20Gb download per month..........just fed up with ADAM's outages

I'm about 3 or 4 km from the exchange and able to receive ADSL 2+ service

iinet can't offer 2+ yet from my exchange but Internode can.........just dearer than ADAM and would mean changing email addresses which is a pain

Hmm, I agree to some extent, but already many companies are offering uncapped internet for around the $150 a month mark when bundled with home phone and mobile. There is no other country in the world that I know of that caps there internet (not for the past 5 years or so anyways). We are WAAAAAAAAAAAY behind. It will become essencially free, or to the point that its so cheap that it might as well be uncapped. We are not far off it. We are actually getting limited by speed more so then download limit with caps these days. I dont have time to download 1tb a month by myself :S And to be honest, if you do, you need to work harder, especially considering all the hard drives you need to store that data. Im running a server on raid, my pc, a notebook and a netbook totalling about 5tb's... thats 5 months of downloads... I pretty much have all the music, games, movies and **hmm** adult content that I can think of on 2tbs...

Bottomline... Spend the extra money on something valuable... LIKE YOUR CAR :wacko:

we've always been behind the times. back in the day i used to run a bbs, they used to charge 25c per phone call. in the US, you pay a monthly line rental and thats it. individual phone calls are free

and back in the BBS days, you'd rack up a huge phone bill cause you'd generally have to poll other bbs's for fidomail, newsgroups as well as file xfers (at the blazing fast speeds of 33.6k)

internet = better

-D

EDIT - Pete, you can still keep your email address - ask that adam converts it into an email alias (redirection), pay them the $5-$10 per year for the service and have it redirected to your new ISP

Alternatively, you can register your own domain name or subdomain (aka [email protected] or [email protected]) and then take it with you no matter what ISP you go to... costs a bit more but looks much more professional, PLUS you can run a website using the same domain name (if you wanted to)

I have 1.5Mbit ADSL1 with Adam (am on a RIM so can't get ADSL yet am 7km from the city in a newish development - don't get me started) and have had a good experience, but I sometimes drop out and have to reboot my modem up to 5 times a day - sometimes it is fine for a week, and other days it shits me to tears. Does it particularly when Torrenting (but not exclusively), so not sure if it has something to do with that.

Tormenting can easily kill low-end routers requiring a reboot. The nature of torrents is you could be potentially dealing with many thousand connections, particularly if you're running multiple torrents. With most home situations, that's going to be through a NAT translation - basically you end up doing things like overloading the NAT tables translation tables and basically toast the router till you reboot and clear it.

It's probably worth investigating your options for settings within the torrent client to limit connections, or upgrading your router to something more powerful. Also, might be worth seeing about settings for uPNP and disabling that and setting up a dedicated port forward if you haven't already - this may help.

Anyway, good luck with it. If you're really stuck google something like 'torrents killing router' and I'm sure you'll find other users with the same issue and suggestions on fixes depending on your router type, etc.

I have 1.5Mbit ADSL1 with Adam (am on a RIM so can't get ADSL yet am 7km from the city in a newish development - don't get me started) and have had a good experience, but I sometimes drop out and have to reboot my modem up to 5 times a day - sometimes it is fine for a week, and other days it shits me to tears. Does it particularly when Torrenting (but not exclusively), so not sure if it has something to do with that.

Might not like the ports your torrents are running through... :S

I have port forwarding setup on a high post so as to not interfere with anything else (connection status is always green, so no problem there). Is a decent quality Billion router. It didn't used to do it with Adam, and never did it when I was with Node. but Adam's data plans are MUCH better value than Node so I am willing to suffer - it just annoys me is all.

I have port forwarding setup on a high post so as to not interfere with anything else (connection status is always green, so no problem there). Is a decent quality Billion router. It didn't used to do it with Adam, and never did it when I was with Node. but Adam's data plans are MUCH better value than Node so I am willing to suffer - it just annoys me is all.

Well said :wacko:

Money is what is comes down to, besides... I've only got an R33 and a maxima... Your sitting in a dif league :D hahaha

pretty much my experience with 'Adam' Andrew.........but mine will drop out 5 times a day just checking email and SAU sometimes

I've been with Adam and Dodo and have now been with Internode for years for it's reliability - I RARELY get dropped out.

If my internet drops out 5 or more times a day I'd be chucking the modem out the window and kicking the computer in :wacko:

Tormenting can easily kill low-end routers requiring a reboot. The nature of torrents is you could be potentially dealing with many thousand connections, particularly if you're running multiple torrents. With most home situations, that's going to be through a NAT translation - basically you end up doing things like overloading the NAT tables translation tables and basically toast the router till you reboot and clear it.

i got a linksys wrt54gs which i loaded a copy of embedded linux on (dd-wrt) and i was able to overclock it 10% (from 200mhz to 220) and boost the tx strength from 28mw to 95mw (i could go as high as 250mw but that'd just blow the transciever up)... never have a problem with my torrents now but it was a pita when it was loaded with stock linksys firmware

-D

In 99% of cases your ISP has nothing to do with needing to reboot your modem x times a day, as has been stated a lot of modems will crack under the loads torrents put on them, drop out due to bad line conditions or incorrect filtering, or are just plain shit. Either way call your ISP and complain, I know for sure Adam can check your line statistics from their end and help troubleshoot where the problem may be (if you're on an Adam dslam).

This is my home connection, completely shit conditions, a wag54gv3 on an Adam dslam. Most people would have a better connection than this, I only drop out every 2-3 days and never need to reboot the modem, neither should anyone else.

Downstream Rate: 3680 K

Upstream Rate: 864 K

Downstream Margin: 6

Upstream Margin: 6

Downstream Line Attenuation: 56

Upstream Line Attenuation: 31

Edited by nicr4wks