SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

You could potentially configure a squid proxy to cache it all. There appears to be a pro version of ninite which is designed to allow you to easily cache the install data, $20 per month though so unless youre doing quite a number of installs its a bit of a financial outlay to just save you some data.

yeah squids pretty decent, you just have to make sure you cache all the files and not just the common ones - usually theres a limit of a meg or two which won't help much for software installs... you'd also need a huge cache limit too.... dunno if andrew is that familiar with linux tho ;P otherwise he can install slackware in a vm host and just run it on his server/gateway

-D

At a previous place of employment I had setup smoothwall with a huge squid cache limit for that reason, seeing as it has a pretty gui anyone is able to make changes. Also good for blocking outbound traffic so when you're fixing a virus infected computer you don't get flagged for sending out mass amounts of spam.

so $150 is the going rate for a full system install + software they want done also

$100-150 depending on the complexity is fairly usual, the 150 mark often includes basic backup of my docs etc, if they have restore cds and don't want anything else done $50 is often the norm.

I used to do these sort of jobs on the side and I would charge $150, that also included the call out fee to diagnose in the first place.

Edited by Rolls

1Gb DDR3 HIS IceQ4 Radeon HD 4850 PCI-e Video Card

Any gamers out there want a kick-ass budget-priced video card? I have just upgraded to a 5850 so this baby has to go.

Details here:

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-30.shtml

This is THE 4850 card - rated as the best of its generation with dual heat pipes, silent fans and very high/stable performance. NEVER overclocked in any variety, and was run in a system full of cooling fans and temperature control - this card ALWAYS ran very cool - even in warm weather under heavy gaming load.

Comes in original box with original manual, unused sticker, Crossfire bridge and power adapter. Does not have driver CD (always used the latest Catalyst drivers off the net anyhow) nor any DVI/VGA/HDMI adapters (big deal). Has 2 DVI ports (and an S-Video) on the back of the card fyi.

$150

yeah 2 4850s would be ace - but 1 5850 is even better :P .... only reason I upgraded is that in huge 8 player battles in StarCraft 2 it would drop to 20 fps, which is needless to say unacceptable. Was fine in all other scenarios in SC2 though - even at 1920x1200 which I run all games in.

I am wanting to upgrade my PS3's hard drive to something larger. So I am looking at buying this, anyone else want me to order them one aswell?

They also have this type too

yeah Abe, I'll grab one as well.......I'm guessing the only differences between the 2 units is the internal HDD (w/- fan) vs external, yeah?

I'm leaning towards the internal w/- fan......which one are you going for?

yeah Abe, I'll grab one as well.......I'm guessing the only differences between the 2 units is the internal HDD (w/- fan) vs external, yeah?

I'm leaning towards the internal w/- fan......which one are you going for?

That's correct Pete, I am going for the internal Hard Drive type, so I don't have another box sitting outside the PS3 (less cables and mess).

I'll buy them this arvo when I get back from Work, in-case anyone else wants one.

wait for as long as you can in case of further interest Abe then let me know via PM what I owe you with bank details if you like

Sure, I am in no big rush for it, in-fact I would rather get a special little development kit to make the 1tb a bit more useful :mad::ninja:

Steve, sadly my 3DMark06 only made 10,800. My CPU is only a Phenom 9500, which despite being not too dissimilar in performance according to the benchmaking websites, falls WAY short of the Q66000 in 3DMark06. I also have a strong feeling that for some reason my Win7 is really not liking the 5850 after I pulled out the 4850. I played SCII last night and went into a big battle and the card came to a crawl at 1fps - this should not happen no matter what with a 5850. Might be time for me to upgrade my system AND do a fresh install. My mobo will take a Phenom 955, which is only $159, so is a great bang for buck upgrade.Or for $213 I could go a 6 core 1055T - but not sure how much (if any software) will utilise all 6 cores correctly.

My brother-in-law has just purchased 2 x hybrid 500Gb drives for around $170 each. He is going to raid them for his system. I might do the same, as my SSD is so small I can't store my Win7 + programs + Steam on it - which is what I really need to do to improve hard drive performance. The fact that my Win7 loads off the SSD in half the time if I disconnect my data drives indicates they are slowing the system down to a point where the SSD is almost redundant.

Anyone want to buy a GSkill Falcon II 64Gb SSD?