SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

then wouldn't they end up with the same slow SDD or every system is different just because its slow for you doesn't mean it will be for someone else

you prolly should of uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled

am i correct in thinking 1x 5850 should perform on par with 2x 4850

yeah here is one of my earlier overclocks with the single card 14278 near on 3.5ghz on air!11one >>ORB<<

Steve, sadly my 3DMark06 only made 10,800. My CPU is only a Phenom 9500, which despite being not too dissimilar in performance according to the benchmaking websites, falls WAY short of the Q66000 in 3DMark06. I also have a strong feeling that for some reason my Win7 is really not liking the 5850 after I pulled out the 4850. I played SCII last night and went into a big battle and the card came to a crawl at 1fps - this should not happen no matter what with a 5850. Might be time for me to upgrade my system AND do a fresh install. My mobo will take a Phenom 955, which is only $159, so is a great bang for buck upgrade.Or for $213 I could go a 6 core 1055T - but not sure how much (if any software) will utilise all 6 cores correctly.

My brother-in-law has just purchased 2 x hybrid 500Gb drives for around $170 each. He is going to raid them for his system. I might do the same, as my SSD is so small I can't store my Win7 + programs + Steam on it - which is what I really need to do to improve hard drive performance. The fact that my Win7 loads off the SSD in half the time if I disconnect my data drives indicates they are slowing the system down to a point where the SSD is almost redundant.

Anyone want to buy a GSkill Falcon II 64Gb SSD?

You need to run drivercleaner and then download the latest and greatest catalyst drivers and install them - you got some dlls that didnt get replaced and thats whats causing the problem

-D

I bought something similar last night (not as expensive tho)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15366

540MB/s reads, 450MB/s writes, 0.1ms seek time... chucking windows 7 and my applications on that and moving all the media to a 2tb WD green drive, along with a H70 cooler to go in my new case

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15114

Oh, and a G19 to boot :huh:

-D

yeah they look good still only 50gb dammit hurry up and make SDD viable already

They have em up to 240gb, but really the os drive doesnt need to be massive

I ran a 36gb raptor with xp for ages as my primary os and apps drive - 50gb is going to be plenty with win 7

-D

yeah true but some games you really want on there also

flight sim X guys maybe some driving MMO guys too

yeah ive added up all my os, apps and games and all i need is 40 gig...other 10 for swap, keep the wd caviar black in there for other programs and the wd green for avi and mp3 storage

-D

Incredible numbers. Might have to have a re-think as I was looking at buying a couple of the Patriot Inferno SSD's!!

yer. pci-e ssd's can avoid the SATAII bottleneck... and for that price, that speed is ballistic

-D

• 2 weeks later...
is that the revo drive

yep

thats with a watercooled cpu setup, idle temp is 25'c. never has exceeded 38'c in any stress test yet, but the real test will be those adelaide 45'c days

-D

Well I bit the bullet and bought an AMD x4 965 black edition and 60Gb Patriot Inferno SSD today. I just whacked in the 965 to see what it could do and have o/c'd it from 3.4 to 3.8Ghz with the stock cooler and it is stable as. Just ran 3DMark06 and it made 19,348. BUT CPU-Z says that my video card is only running at 400Mhz/1,000Mhz, whereas it should be 750/1,500 from memory. I tried to uninstall all the Catalyst/AMD drivers that Madaz and Ben advised me, but the whole Catalyst suite ended up crapping itself, and now when I load win7 it comes up with a 'Catalyst is not responding' error and it will not run at all. I think that has something to do with it.

I have also ordered a CoolIt Domino ALC and a Corsair DOMINATOR AIRFLOW Fan. Go google both of these - the CoolIT is an awesome piece of machinery - I put one in my brother-in-law's machine last week and not only is it silent, but he hasn't seen over 40 degrees under load on his stock X4 955 CPU.

So on the weekend (assuming they come by then) I will fit the CoolIT ALC and Dominator cooling rigs, raid my new Inferno with my Falcon 2, and reinstall. I will post up my 3DMark06 when I am done, but I hope it will be better than 20k.

I did the windows rating thing Ben and made 7.4, 7.4, 7.7, 7.7, 7.1 .... will be interesting to see what score Windows gives 2 raided SSDs - I assume 7.9. When I have the CoolIT ALC fitted I will pump up the CPU to 4.2Ghz if it will take it (I am hoping it will go to 20 x 210Mhz - is currently running at 19 x 200Mhz 1.45v), so will see what score it comes up with then too.

seems to be a knack to getting older cats off

when you raid and format again should come up trumps

i get 7.3 with my cpu last night when i ran the test and i was running a game of world of tanks in a window still with ff open and 20 tabs email client

my stock cpu 2.4ghz mine 3.3ghz on air