SAU Community

Computer Jargon

Madaz

Andrew, my PC status is single............but available and still looking :mrt:

Fractal Design Define R2 Titanium Case

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mofo Board

Intel i7 930 Quad Core 2.80 GHz

Zalman CNPS10X-Performa Dual CPU Fan

A-RAM SSD Ultra II 200 Gb HDD Sandforce Controller (270/250 MB/s)

Corsair Dominator GT 6Gb 1600MHz w/- fan

Sapphire Toxic ATi Radeon HD5850 1Gb

Silverstone Modular 850Watt 80 Plus Silver PSU

............and the sad thing is, it's main use (85% of the time) is Word Documents :D

Andrew, my PC status is single............but available and still looking :)

Fractal Design Define R2 Titanium Case

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mofo Board

Intel i7 930 Quad Core 2.80 GHz

Zalman CNPS10X-Performa Dual CPU Fan

A-RAM SSD Ultra II 200 Gb HDD Sandforce Controller (270/250 MB/s)

Corsair Dominator GT 6Gb 1600MHz w/- fan

Sapphire Toxic ATi Radeon HD5850 1Gb

Silverstone Modular 850Watt 80 Plus Silver PSU

............and the sad thing is, it's main use (85% of the time) is Word Documents :ninja:

My cpu and vidcard, mobo and ram are over a year old but they still perform reasonably well

Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black case

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo

Intel i7 920 Quad Core 2.6Ghz

Corsair H70 Watercooled cpu block

Revodrive 50gb, 540MBps read, 480MBps write

2TB WD Green HDD

1TB WD Black HDD

OCZ DDR3-1600mhz 12gb (6x2)

ATI Radeon HD4790 1GB

OCZ 850watt PSU

Can upgrade the cpu and vidcard next year/whenever I need... as it stands I run stock cpu speeds and still never use more than 20%

-D

Andrew, my PC status is single............but available and still looking :D

............and the sad thing is, it's main use (85% of the time) is Word Documents :whistling:

you know to get your hairdresser stats you could use database or excel :D

Well I am super impressed with my new 965 running at 4Ghz. Haven't even done my SSD raid and install yet, but performance even on the old setup is pretty impressive.

What I can't stand is the fan noise. Stock heatsink (which has nice copper base and heatpipe cooling) and a fan on auto. ZOMFG it is noisy! I can't stand it - I wonder how people put up with it. Hopefully my CoolIT closed loop/radiator cooling system arrives tomorrow so I can shut the thing up. My brother-in-law's is basically silent.

Who here is still running a stock cooler, and how do you put up with the constant whirring?

Well I am super impressed with my new 965 running at 4Ghz. Haven't even done my SSD raid and install yet, but performance even on the old setup is pretty impressive.

What I can't stand is the fan noise. Stock heatsink (which has nice copper base and heatpipe cooling) and a fan on auto. ZOMFG it is noisy! I can't stand it - I wonder how people put up with it. Hopefully my CoolIT closed loop/radiator cooling system arrives tomorrow so I can shut the thing up. My brother-in-law's is basically silent.

Who here is still running a stock cooler, and how do you put up with the constant whirring?

Switch to watercooling ;P

Edit - also, most motherboards have intel q-fan disabled by default so the stocker runs 100% rather than scaling down.

-D

Switch to watercooling ;P

Edit - also, most motherboards have intel q-fan disabled by default so the stocker runs 100% rather than scaling down.

-D

I am - that is what the Coolit ALC is - but it is not here yet.

But after I posted that I actually thought about it some more and got down and looked in my case next to my desk. Turns out I had accidentally disconnected my rear 120mm fan, so the CPU fan was amping up trying to keep the CPU cool (only the 80mm inlet fan was working). And my chipsets have copper heat fins and tubing, with no active cooling - so they were darn hot too (motherboard temp has gone from 50 degrees to 38 degrees by switching on the rear 120mm fan and adding another 120mm fan blowing on the CPU/chipset area). Silly me.

Now using Easy Tune6 my CPU temp is 34 degrees and my CPU fan is only running at 3,300prm. Much better the horrible whirring noise has gone. And it was my fault all along :banana:

I am - that is what the Coolit ALC is - but it is not here yet.

Yeah. Theres not much you can do to make stock fan combos quiet. Getting 80-120mm adaptor plates used to be the rage until push/pull combo fan stand up heatsinks came into play (which is what the H70 is, but with a radiator rather than heatsink). Other thing is, rather than getting existing hot air inside the case and pulling that thru the HSF/radiator, new philosophy is to bolt it to the rear of the case and suck cold air in thru the rad and exhaust thru the top of the case/blowhole. I looked at the coolit ALC website, looks like they still have theirs setup as an exhaust setup rather than intake

-D

Yep I will be switching the direction of the fan around and will be adding a 2nd 120mm pull fan on the inside, exactly per your suggestion! I had come to the same conclusion too.

Can you help me with the maths though as to how much benefit a 2nd fan will be? It seems on one hand that the air flow is limited by the speed of the existing fan, but then it also seems like they might 'gang up' and pull the air faster. Does anyone know enough about this figure it out?

Have a look for Noctua fans. I use these in my Silverstone TJ09 and they're extremely quiet (low speed) but efficient. I could run my Noctua CPU HSF passive if I wanted to also, even with the Q6600 @ 3.55Ghz

yep I do like the Noctua fans, but no-one here in Adelaide seems to stick them anymore. I have a few Thermaltake 120mm fans in my case and they are basically silent and move heaps of air. I am also going to chuck a 220mm Antec Bad Boy on the side of my case - 127cfm @ 900rpm.

Yep I will be switching the direction of the fan around and will be adding a 2nd 120mm pull fan on the inside, exactly per your suggestion! I had come to the same conclusion too.

Can you help me with the maths though as to how much benefit a 2nd fan will be? It seems on one hand that the air flow is limited by the speed of the existing fan, but then it also seems like they might 'gang up' and pull the air faster. Does anyone know enough about this figure it out?

ok you're going to hate this, but i've done a bunch of research about fan based cooling back when I used to mod and sell Shuttle XPC's...and theres no easy answer

Some fans push more air at lower pressure than they do at high pressure, and vice versa. This is strictly dependant on the amount of fins on the fan, the size, depth, and the shape of them... and theres no 'golden rule of thumb'. Noise is directly proportional about how much pressure the fan has to push the air thru

In other words, for a push/pull setup you'll want some fans that can move a fair amount of air at low pressure - this will also mean they're quiet by default, however there is >also< extra noise generated due to heatsink/radiator turbulence

i have 2 matched 80mm fans in push pull config which came with the cooler pack. These are running at 1500rpm each on idle but can scale up to 4000rpm when it gets ultra hot - which gets noisier, but nowhere as near as some other fan coolers out there.

I used to use silenX fans but they just dont push enough air, (aka ultra low pressure fan only).

Steves suggestion of Noctua fans isnt bad, but they are a higher pressure fan, so I wouldn't use them in a push/pull setup - they would however be good for using a resistor and mounting them as case intake/exhaust - the scythes have a lot more lower pressure fans, but for my money I go with the coolermasters, which have 120mm fans that do 44cfm @ 19dba @ 1200rpm, and you can get a 4 pack of their 120mm's for $25 from pccasegear.

I have the cpufan sucking air in from the rear of the case, with a 180mm exhaust fan on the top, a 180mm intake fan on the side, 180mm intake on the front, the power supply venting hot air directly out the rear, as well as the videocard. The 180mm fans are setup with an RPM controller which is turned to minimum most of the time, but i expect as those 40'c days roll in I'll have to put it up to max.

I have the pump for the watercooler running off the CPU fan header, which is set to 100% all the time (as you want the water flowing and its quiet enough) and the two push/pull fans are connected to the chassis fan headers, which has intels 'qfan' technology turned on to vary the speed depending on cpu temp.

Just make sure you find what fan is getting pushed thru (cfm, rpm and dimensions) and see if u can get a matching pair - if they dont match, you'll get unnecessary turbulence, which will put one fan under more strain than the other

-D

Steves suggestion of Noctua fans isnt bad, but they are a higher pressure fan, so I wouldn't use them in a push/pull setup - they would however be good for using a resistor and mounting them as case intake/exhaust - the scythes have a lot more lower pressure fans, but for my money I go with the coolermasters, which have 120mm fans that do 44cfm @ 19dba @ 1200rpm, and you can get a 4 pack of their 120mm's for $25 from pccasegear.

I pretty much exclusively use Noctua fans in my PCs - never had any issues sourcing them - it also means I can try and keep my systems relatively quiet (which is a drama given what a crazy setup I have).

My main desktop uses one of their push-pull CPU heatsink+fan setups - they're specifically built for that. Keep in mind, Noctua have two fan line-ups, for pressure and for flow (ie: case vs CPU). You want to make sure you get the right fan for the task.

ok you're going to hate this, but i've done a bunch of research about fan based cooling back when I used to mod and sell Shuttle XPC's...and theres no easy answer

-D

im running a shuttle atm, keen to do some fan upgrades on the old girl, cos my current summer beat the heat measure is to just take the cover off.

can u reccomend good fans for them seeing as u have done the leg work with R&D.

my biggest issue with the shuttle is i have shoehorned 4 HDD's into it lol... does not help with the heat